Tekkna For The Deus 2, First Impression (updated 3)

23 minutes ago, UKD2User said:

I noticed that Gary says in one of his videos "XP don't fix it!". I see on a different YT vid by IffySignals that unmasking is not very good with Tekkna - at least if based on Sensitive FT prog 3.

I think that one of the reasons people like these settings is perhaps simply because it makes it easier to 'see the wood for the trees' in an otherwise 'busy' (audio) environment - psychoacoustics?

I would agree UKD. That is my endless quest with metal detectors. Find any combination of settings that will allow my brain to hear the good target in the chorus of bad targets. Apparently this combination of filters seems to be working well in certain conditions. It did for me in a site with a lot of iron and little modern trash.

• Like 5

They will fix the discrimination algorithms if they feel it needs to be adjusted.  I found a bug on the Eurotek Pro during the pre-release stage that was almost identical to the Deus.  I kind of liked how it worked but 1st Texas made adjustments prior to production. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Gillespie said:

...They will fix the discrimination algorithms if they feel it needs to be adjusted....

Either by accident or on purpose!

My impression is that software configuration management is not their strongest suit 😁

On 3/12/2024 at 8:02 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

They will fix the discrimination algorithms if they feel it needs to be adjusted.  I found a bug on the Eurotek Pro during the pre-release stage that was almost identical to the Deus.  I kind of liked how it worked but 1st Texas made adjustments prior to production. 

On 3/12/2024 at 8:15 AM, UKD2User said:

Either by accident or on purpose!

My impression is that software configuration management is not their strongest suit 😁

FWIW - XP did finally fix how the discrimination algorithms work with Full Tones and Iron Volume for all base programs and added an alternative "silencer" filter (a form of iron bias filtering on the Deus) in Update 1.0.  Update 1.1 enabled the user to select either the legacy or updated silencer filter dependent on selecting the appropriate base program.  The Tekkna program as demonstrated by Gary Black uses the updated silencer filter (although at its minimum setting) by utilizing Factory Program 3 as the base program.  If users want to use Tekkna with less aggressive silencer filtering they can use Base Program 2 and set the Silencer accordingly as well as also selecting full tones audio.  XP did not make any obvious adjustments to the discrimination or silencer algorithms with the latest 2.0 updates. 

Honestly, it's not clear to me that anything really needs to be addressed or fixed with respect to discrimination beyond what XP has already done.  I don't think Tekkna is expoiting a flaw in D2 discrimination processong.

The poke above at XP regarding their sloppy software configuration control processes is warranted.  They never seem to internalize lessons learned from prior update snafus.

The following is not directed at anyone who I quoted earlier in this post...it's just a separate reflection on some of the responses in this thread...

People commenting/complaining in this thread about the Gary Black Tekkna custom program because it uses the Program 3 silencer or because disc is set too high for your local desirable target IDs  have me scratching my head.  If you think that silencer filter is too aggressive, you can then just simply build Tekkna around Program 2 or similar.  In fact it makes sense to experiment to make the program work for your specific situation instead of simply condemning it as "useless". If you think the disc is too high for some of your desirable targets, then lower it. There are plenty of options.   And frankly, because of the dynamic audio, I can see where it may not be a good fit for some people - not everyone's cup of tea.  Full disclosure, I have tried it, but Relic really just works best for me, personally.  I have ot programmed in as a "target interrogation" program option to ID falsing iron if my other Relic iron tells are inconclusive.

I get the distinct feeling people go out of their way to shoot down something that has been objectively demonstrated to work well for some users, like the OP.  There is nothing about Tekkna that tells me that discrimination implementation on the Deus 2 is flawed.

I will make this final observation, it is really easy to throw stones and say something doesn't work because there is no burden of proof for such criticism.  You simply have to show up and proclaim it as fact and state you couldn't find anything.  It's a whole different matter to put yourself out there to be subjected to such criticism by sharing your positive experience with a custom program or group of settings and back it up with actual finds.  

I don't understand the negativity displayed against people trying to share tips with the forum.  I have found that those who consistently criticize such posts, the manufacturers, or specific detectors or who constantly bring negative energy to the forum often have a track record of NOT contributing or sharing useful information to the community.  Just an observation.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

I will make this final observation, it is really easy to throw stones and say something doesn't work because there is no burden of proof for such criticism.  You simply have to show up and proclaim it as fact and state you couldn't find anything.  It's a whole different matter to put yourself out there to be subjected to such criticism by sharing your positive experience with a custom program or group of settings and back it up with actual finds.  

I don't understand the negativity displayed against people trying to share tips with the forum.  I have found that those who consistently criticize such posts, the manufacturers, or specific detectors or who constantly bring negative energy to the forum often have a track record of NOT contributing or sharing useful information to the community.  Just an observation.

First, Gary Blackwell is a member of this forum and even though he does not post a lot, he is still a member and may have time to read comments that are directed at him especially about programs like Tekkna.

I believe his main point was to just try it and see what you think.

1. If you did and you like it great.

2. If you did and you don't care for it and have given constructive criticism, fine.

3. If you haven't tried it and you are negatively speculating .......why?

I have only experimented with it myself indoors so I have no opinion....(making myself learn the Manticore at the moment since I have a good idea about what Deus 2 can and can't do).

I have just about stopped giving tips and tricks on any forums whether they are my own or someone else's. I am tired of having some people try to shoot down, overly critique and interrogate me about things I have offered as possible aids for gaining more information about targets when detecting. Most of those people fall under #3 above.

• Like 6

If I've understood Tekkna at all, it's based around the idea that raising Disc to an unusually high value can sometimes have greater than expected benefits - mostly, I believe, in supressing 'noise' from unwanted targets. I've tried this idea quite often in the past - on the beach and on land - as a way of cherry picking, for example quickly putting Disc up to 85 as a first pass, looking for silver and large copper alloy coins. I think that Youtubers like PaystreakSuperfreak (bless him) have done this kind of thing in the past too. I am perfectly happy with the way my D2 works - there are still some quirks/"features" in the software, though - there probably always will be. I used to write embedded software for a living.

• Like 1

And as I've written, it's not for everyone everywhere. As a matter of fact, it's very specialized for me, I prefer Relic overall. Notch at 00-00, set your tone preferences, and go. Vary Disc IAR to taste (thanks Chase). I've found Tekkna doesn't work well for me with any coil, just the 9". Relic works with all of them.

If you're in a field with lots of really old iron, it will pick the cherries, apparently. It's kinda useful in a super trashy house site, but be prepared to dig a lot of non ferrous junk as well, I don't know how it is in the UK but people here just threw stuff all over the place. 🤣 Mebbe the Romans were more select. 🤔 Or didn't have aluminum 😁

• Like 5

On 3/10/2024 at 3:18 PM, UKD2User said:

I noticed that Gary says in one of his videos "XP don't fix it!". I see on a different YT vid by IffySignals that unmasking is not very good with Tekkna - at least if based on Sensitive FT prog 3.

I think that one of the reasons people like these settings is perhaps simply because it makes it easier to 'see the wood for the trees' in an otherwise 'busy' (audio) environment - psychoacoustics?

As I understand it, there are only a few settings that can really do any true "unmasking"... a lower sensitivity to reduce induced magnetism,  and a higher reactivity to speed up the processing from one target to the next.  And in a sense, I suppose it could be argued that silencer helps with unmasking.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iron_buzz said:

As I understand it, there are only a few settings that can really do any true "unmasking"... a lower sensitivity to reduce induced magnetism,  and a higher reactivity to speed up the processing from one target to the next.  And in a sense, I suppose it could be argued that silencer helps with unmasking.  

I'd strongly argue that filters like Silencer reduce unmasking capability in iron.