The Value Of Small Nuggets

An ignorant question: for small gold nuggets, is their value strictly the value of the gold they contain or do they carry some premium for being a natural nugget or having a rare shape/composition or perhaps something else?

That's a great question and wondered myself the same thing. I've seen where guys give me this elaborate sales pitch like it's some piece of art. People will only pay what it's worth to them , but Idk as fact. All I'm thinking is melt value when it comes down to it.

• Like 1

Just depends on the individual piece. Some small specimen gold can bring 10X market price or more but most will be market price or less, since true gold content is less. So like maybe 80% of spot price. Have to figure time and effort also. I'll sell you a small nugget for more per ounce than I will sell you an ounce of the same stuff since my time is worth something.

If it's a boring round nugget no big deal. Wire and crystalline gold - sky is the limit. Collectors will pay top dollar for extremely unique gold.....

https://www.irocks.com/search?mode=quick&_token=uvGIBnI4Tah8IbSxEEL4ix9s8UmfKzwdIutQglhq&query=gold

Basic advice to nugget hunters - it is not the quantity you find, but the quality of what you find. You'd be better off finding one super primo specimen than a jar full of low quality gold. I have sold quite a bit of gold a piece at a time at premium prices and other stuff I just take to a refiner.

Note that for collectors an exact location of the find is very important. Generic finds where the finder does not want to reveal where it was found are not going to command nearly as high a premium to a true mineral collector or museum. The provenance is as important as everything else. Some locations are so famous that the gold just being from them will add a premium.

Think of mineral collectors as being like coin collectors trying for a full set of proof quality coins.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

These are yesterday's finds.  Ill take them from here and add it to conglomerate jewelry like channel rings and bracelets. This course wire-ess type gold brings more value and appeal to jewelry for sure. They may not be big nuggs but they still fetch a higher value than finer or even well worn gold. 

IMG_7293.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Oh my! 2

32 minutes ago, Glenn in CO said:

These two websites have a variety of different types of gold nuggets, specimens and paydirt. You can get a idea of what different types of gold nuggets and specimens are going for:

https://goldnuggetsforsale.com/

https://goldnuggetsales.com/

I've learned a bit about nuggets now. That site does have some beautiful pieces and some big prices. For some who are into that I can see how it is natural art. But I would still like to find something like this , currently on display at the Golden Nugget , Laughlin. Nev.Screenshot_20231119_110729_Gallery.thumb.jpg.46b20ab7794690600e79092e1900b579.jpg

4 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

I've learned a bit about nuggets now. That site does have some beautiful pieces and some big prices. For some who are into that I can see how it is natural art. But I would still like to find something like this , currently on display at the Golden Nugget , Laughlin. Nev.Screenshot_20231119_110729_Gallery.thumb.jpg.46b20ab7794690600e79092e1900b579.jpg

Ha!  If your gonna dream, might as well dream big.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The small nuggets I find I can and do sell for $80.00 a gram. As they get bigger and dont have much character then I still get $80.00 a gram. If they have character, maybe some quartz and character I get $100.00 a gram. If they are crystalline gold then I get $110.00 a gram. Goldnuggetsforsale.com has a very good resource for grading your gold nuggets and specimens. Learn your gold, learn as you go on how to grade it and don't back down on your prices. There are a lot of people out there that won't screw you over if you show you are educated on your nuggets, natural gold values and stand your ground. 

• Like 3

Remember that when you buy bullion, most companies will make you pay a premium on top of the gold price. 

• Like 2