Curiosity - What Is The Oldest Item You Have Ever Found?

14 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

Found this copper culture point some years back. Estimated to be around 4,000 to 6,000 years old. Not native to Massachusetts. Likely traded in from Great Lakes. I remember pulling it out of the hole along with a handful of dirt and thinking it was just a stone point, I set it aside. I kept rescanning the hole looking for that screamer of a signal that had mysteriously disappeared. 😁

copper point.jpg

You guys are killing me with these early metallic points! That one goes beyond words that are allowed for description on this site. Finding a copper culture point has been a pipe dream of mine since I was a teenager and thanks for posting it.

Doc

19 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

You guys are killing me with these early metallic points! That one goes beyond words that are allowed for description on this site. Finding a copper culture point has been a pipe dream of mine since I was a teenager and thanks for posting it.

Doc

Doc, there are many of us that can only dream of finding a clovis point!

My earliest coin to date. 1608-1609 Philip III Kings Monogram 1/2 Real Cob.

20171204_095807-horz.jpg

My oldest coin is a 1792 German Pfenning, found in a farm field in Sleepy Hollow, New York. The Weaver Mining District, Arizona, gold nuggets are probably good for a few million years, and the pieces of the Gold Basin meteorite I recovered, are estimated to have arrived on Earth 14.3 thousand years ago.

coins 007.jpg

coins 009.jpg

gtr 001.jpg

z2.jpg

I am not worthy.😩 

My reflection in the mirror is probably the oldest relic I've come across lately.😝

My oldest find is probably a piece of rusted iron,,,,,sorry , best I could think of, probably threw it away. No pic.🙄  WAIT ! When did they come out with those Playboy rings ? 

IMG_20240414_063857.jpg

My best prehistoric find wasn't with my detector. I was a surface find. Early Archaic "Dovetail" made of Sonora flint. (Dates 9500-8000 BP) With a detector, it would be coins/tokens dating to the mid-early 1700s: 1749, 1776 Reales or a Jetton token. All found in middle TN. 

Artifacts-personal collection-Sonora Dove 2.JPG

Is that type of flint native to your area or was it a trade item?

The Indians here in East Texas had Salt to use as a trading commodity. I don’t know what all they exchanged it for but when I was a teenager I found  nice point made of black Obsidian. The closest deposits are in far West Texas & New Mexico. To find a spear/atlatl point like yours in perfect condition is amazing.

Hi JCR, Sonora is associated with the Ste. Genevieve Limestone formation.  Outcrops are found in Hart and Hardin Counties in Kentucky.  It is commonly found throughout eastern Kentucky and into southern Ohio and into eastern Indiana and northern Tennessee. It was favored by many cultures/time periods. Dovetails or Plevna as early collectors called them were used as knives, never spear heads. Mine exhibits several re-sharpening's which created the rhomboid bevel. Sonora patinates in a variety of colors but most examples are dark blue, purple or a variety of grays. Sonora is highly sought after and command high prices, especially pieces with unusual or multiple colors. Dovetails are indigenous to the southeast and Midwest but rare west of the Mississippi river, east coast or Florida. The exception would be Missouri.  

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was looking at the notched base & knew it was hafted on to some sort of handle.

I found this on a cold April day two years ago, it warmed me up and I hunted till dark.

image.png.710e155b8e19ddaef6da3759c01fb0ab.pngimage.png.1df257ad9e67c3374422da8d034a9547.png