Older Minelab Pi For Depth?

Interesting thread with lots of good information here that's made me rethink a few things. (I still have an SD 2100 [not a lot of adjustments on that machine] that went very deep on targets, but from what others have said, it looks like there's better options.)

Thanks for starting the thread, and I hope you find something that will work for you.

All the best,

Lanny

So I picked up a GP3000 a few days ago including an assortment of coils.  This NF 17x11 is the only mono coil in the bunch and it appears to be an older model with a fiber glass body.  Do any of you old timers have any experience with this coil regarding depth (on 2g+ nuggets) and stability vs the more modern coils?

NF_17x11_Mono.jpg

The problem with sharp is they recommend DD coils for it.

Sharp
(GPX 4500, 4800, 5000)
Sharp is similar to Normal but creates a more powerful detection field. It is capable of an improvement in depth, but is more susceptible to interference and will increase the severity of false signals in difficult grounds. This timing is best used in quiet conditions and can work well in combination with Deep Search Mode with a reduced Rx Gain setting. Sharp is an excellent tool for pinpointing faint signals due to the very "sharp" signal response. Sharp will work best with DD coils in most gold field locations.

minelab-timing-emi-coil-matrix-large.jpg.03ba2b9365f9f1d757e209c01887baad.thumb.jpg.daaecfca81f12b53e2c7a3f8f1f93135.jpg

If you look at this chart it has Sharp as blank for monos, blank meaning the timing will work, but other timings will work better.

I ran Sharp as my standard setting in Alaska and only used mono coils. 18” NF round. It’s a powerful mode and in Australia DD coils would be a necessity in a lot of places to get it to run. But if ground allows, and mine did, Sharp plus mono will outperform.

9 hours ago, Dutchman4 said:

So I picked up a GP3000 a few days ago including an assortment of coils.  This NF 17x11 is the only mono coil in the bunch and it appears to be an older model with a fiber glass body.  Do any of you old timers have any experience with this coil regarding depth (on 2g+ nuggets) and stability vs the more modern coils?

My detecting mate had one of those older FG body coils except it was a 10" Round and he believed it was the best mono coil that he ever owned.

Ceril I have a modified 2200 and it gets deep gold with the large coil u can try it if you want I also have a moded 5000  it will change your mind for sure  at a outing I will bring I them if I can   Lots of family cancer show going on now so maybe in a few month seeing is knowing good luck   Does not really amount to the detector as much as the operator knowing what to look for on the ground lots of reading on prospecting  looking for the right rocks pays off best I have found a lot with out a detector just breaking bedrock and looking at quartz like the old timers did pays of way better for me    Still need to get the 5000 back so time varies on that offer