Repairing / Modifying My Picks

phoenix

Both my big and little pick where looking a bit worse for wear lately, but they both still have nice sturdy handles on them so I decided to have a go at fixing them.  To replace the big pick would probably cost me a couple of hundred bucks.   My mate Steve gave me the material , a piece of car leaf spring.
  I used a 4½" angle grinder with a cut off disc to cut the pieces I needed, (don`t force the grinder, just let the grinder do the work and you wont tear hell out of the disc). 
 I own a 240 volt, 15 amp inverter stick welder that I bought on ebay, ( I have no idea what the equivalent would be in the States), I fitted the new material to the the back of the pick blades, and welded them length ways only, NOT, across the blades, with low hydrogen rods.
I wanted to use them for a couple of days before I told the world how clever I was, and I gotta say these new picks are great, so much easier to dig with. Much better than when they were new off the shelf.  I`ve only used them 3 days so I still have to see how they stand up, but at the moment I am very happy with them.    Dave

SDC13702.jpg

SDC13710.jpg

SDC13713.jpg

SDC13720.jpg

SDC13732.jpg

I've been thinking about doing the same to mine also. I reckon the pointier end would be much better at digging than the original design. Thanks for the pictures Dave

Cheers Rick

Looks okay but only drama is once heated by the weld the spring steel is weakened a lot and normally will break really quickly.  I hope it last but I make spring steel pilots for the auger of my dingo and heat it to much even cutting with a grinder for to long and they break.

2 hours ago, goldwright said:

Looks okay but only drama is once heated by the weld the spring steel is weakened a lot and normally will break really quickly.  I hope it last but I make spring steel pilots for the auger of my dingo and heat it to much even cutting with a grinder for to long and they break.

Yeh mate,  that`s why I only welded them length ways, not across the blade. I figure way less chance of them breaking. cheers

SDC13715.jpg

Great way to save some Dinero..... Thanks for the idea, and post...

Dave

Did the same recently using steel cut from a spare grouser plate off my bulldozer:

neuuls.jpg

Did a low hydrogen butt weld in an "V" formation to avoid cross fracturing.:

2e549c7.jpg

Steel looks thicker (and longer) than it actually is because of camera foreshortening. I've successfully done this before using high tensile steel without any problems. Once the tip wears a bit I'll hit it with a tungsten carbide based hardfacing electrode.  :smile: