50 Tones & Iron Volume

Baiker

Steve, hello! I want to ask a question. Adjusting the volume of the tone of the iron will be available in all modes of audiotones: 1, 2, 5 and 50? In the 50-tone mode and the fully open discriminator (all metals), you can reduce the volume of the iron tone? From -9 to 0 one tone? Or 9?

The final details of the 50 tones feature along with other minor tweaks are being finalized and so I can’t comment on the details of its operation until said features are set in stone. The Equinox 50 tones option will offer more adjustability that the factory preset “full tones” option featured on most other detectors.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a video from Keith Southern regarding a warble/fluty sound from FBS machines on coins vs. nails.  Would you describe the Equinox as having the same effect?  The Equinox will be my first multiple frequency machine so I'm just trying to wrap my head around the potential differences to my red Racer.

It is a Minelab and the tones are similar, but more like halfway between the CTX and X-Terra when it comes to tones. Coins give a nice high tone squeak in the default 5 tone or 50 tone mode, but you can customize the tone as you see fit in 5 tone and to a more limited fashion in 50 tone. The CTX and X-Terra are slower machines and so the tones by necessity have to be quicker when running the Equinox at the faster Detect Speed settings. At low settings the tones are more akin to the older Minelabs as they draw out more. Here are a couple videos, the first CTX and the second Equinox, for some audio comparison. More details here.

To my ear the Equinox audio is more straightforward and lacks that fluty/warbly thing.