E-800 Went Crazy

Norm S

I just got home from my favorite spot and had been there maybe 45 mins and doing well as usual. I was digging a 28 target when my detector started going crazy in the pinpoint mode but I didn't leave in pinpoint. I picked it and hit the pinpoint button and nothing happened I then hit the detect button and it went to Park 2 but again went into pinpoint and was screaming like crazy and the VDI  went nuts  jumping from 12- 32.  I turned it off and back on and it still did the same thing. I looked at the battery and it showed 30% or less. Last time when the battery got low it just shut off on it's own. 

I looked at previous threads but couldn't find anything. Any ideas or was I just needing a charge. I am charging it now.

Was just playing with mine in my backyard and it started going crazy as well after about ten minutes. Regardless of mode or frequency. Turned the sensitivity down but no change until I got it down to about 5. Was running it where I usually do in my backyard 18-19. Cellphone in house. I did a factory reset. The battery was showing full when I got out there (has about a two hour hunt on it) and a few minutes later it started going nuts. Now the battery is showing down one notch. I'm going to charge it up full and see what happens tomorrow. Fingers crossed it was just something stupid.

I'm about a mile or two from an airport but not a lot of traffic up there ever. I just went back out with battery reading full and it ran like normal. Could have been anything.

• Like 1

Nothin from Keesler,  I was across from the Hardrock and have hunted there for several days with no interference, Heck I been hunting with sensitivity around 24 and if I get to much chatter I back it down to 20.  No matter what I did I couldn't get if off from pinpoint mode. I will try a reset after it's charged which will likely fix it but I was frustrated because I hadn't been the an hour. All week long I been averaging over $6 per 2 hour hunt. I was hoping to break a $100 in clad in less than 3 weeks. 

• Like 2

I am sure all these things will be fixed in updates later. The Equinox allows for updates and fixes online from what I have read. Like any new electronics, bugs will have to be worked out. Cell phones are always getting bugs and fixes in updates.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to turn this into a witch hunt, and I'm sure none of the rest of you are either.  I was going to post the following on a separate thread but this seems like the right place&time given what has been reported so far.

I've now had about 20 hours with the Eqx (weather and life sometimes get in the way...).  Last time out (4 hours) I was going to a road traffic noisy site so decided to try the WM08 with Sunray Pro Gold (very tight fit = good blocking of street noise).  After a couple hours I noticed a significant (and sudden) loss of sound volume.  I also noticed the battery icon was down to 1 bar (out of 3).  First I turned the unit volume to max (25) and although that improved things the volume was still low compared to normal.  I unplugged the WM08 to listen to the external speaker and it was low as well, so not the problem of the WM08+ProGolds.

Fortunately I come from the Boy Scout school of "be prepared" (also the Girl Scout motto, BTW).  I've been using the Deteknix (renamed 'Quest' in US after First Texas lawsuit settlement) wireless transmitter/receiver modules for nearly 2 years now, and that is one of my backups.  One advantage of that setup is the built in amplifier which appeared to be a good solution for the problem I was having.  Replacing the WM08 with that (keeping the Pro Golds) seemed to solve the problem, although after turning off the Eqx800 for a few minutes, when it returned to service it was subsequently showing 2 battery bars.

I continued to search for another couple hours and although the battery charge indicator eventually went back to 1 bar I didn't notice an obvious decrease in volume with the Deteknix T/R + Pro Golds.  So I finished the hunt uncertain as to what caused the loss of volume.  I've since recharged everything but haven't had a chance to use the Eqx after that.