3 Rings, 18, 16, 8 ... Which Is Which?

On 5/2/2018 at 3:50 AM, Dukester said:

I'll go with the silver ring = 18, the 18GP = 16, and the copper = 8.

I'll call the quiz a bit early.  Thanks for reading.  The beaches have become interesting again after no real energy for long stretches.

Dukester is right!

I was 'surprised' by the silver ring the most.  It says .925 and this is my first one with the Nox.  I was expecting numbers like the CTX on silver.  A CTX quarter is up in the top right of my screen (I'm not much on numbers) and silver rings are higher than that so ...  I thought a silver ring would be coming in at over 30 on the Nox.  This was actually close to a penny (20-21) but it never went above 18.  Many pennies I dig jump from 15-22 because of the sandwich plates.  Some pure coppers can sound like a dime.

The GP coming in at 16 ... well that just happens to be a fact for that particular ring.

Then the little 'copper' ring.  I called it a copper ring (because of the color) but I haven't had it shot with a gun.  Is it something other than copper?  Does it have something to do with shape?  Probably.

I was in Beach 1 and 2/S20-22/RS6/FE3 in an area that had been under waves about 5 hours before I hunted it.  There is a bit of black sand and I balance now and then but all of the targets weren't deeper than 6" and the rings were at about 3".  I look at physical factors a lot after a tide.  What were the waves doing at the time of deposit?  You can use Steve's analogy of a big gold pan.  The energy of the beach separates the concentrates.

This type of patch hunting to me is kinda like the Deadliest Catch.  I'm trying to find the crabs that are crawling along the floor of the beach.  Once you get a couple of indicators (clues) then my intuition (human algorithm) kicks in and I grid.  The Nox is good at catching them once you find them.  I wish I could read the goldfields the same way.

Mitchel

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Awesome, awesome just to be recovering.