Remembering The Old Coinshooter

The old coinshooter has been gone now for many years (1993) but I remember him very well..he used a CM 3 then, which he just wore out, it was replaced with a brand new Coinmaster 4...I got to hunt with him a few times and it was a pleasure to watch him slowly shuffle along he would stop scan back and forth and either dig or move on, I knew he was listening carefully..  We were hunting together in an old park, lots of targets old steel BCS mostly and other junk.. He called over to me and said what do you think about that? He used one of those old diggers that looked like it was made from conduit with a long narrow point, perfectly stuck on the end was a nice little gold ring.....  This person had a ring collection that would choke you, in fact one ring he told me about that he had found was a gents gold piece with a large precious stone,  he had taken it to a jeweler that cleaned it for him and I think later he sold it to the jeweler for enough to buy himself a new Ranchero...I tried to hunt with him as much as I could but we lived quite a distance apart and I was just starting to work on preliminary Trans Alaska pipe projects... By the time I could spend time with him he could no longer swing that heavy Whites unit but he liked tagging along with me.. The gold rings he had found were sold but the other pieces he had tied together on a string and there were many.. I haven't looked in the big canvas bank bag he gave me years ago that was almost full of dimes, quarters, halves and a few silver dollars he had found at the old Fairgrounds, parks and old closed country school yards.I .learned a lot by watching how carefully this person hunted, slowly, listening and moving around..He did his homework,  a little research and talking to the old timers that stopped by watching him...Who was this person? This Old Coinshooter, I knew him very well, He was my Dad....

I recently found this photo of myself and The Old Coinshooter, this was taken about 1985 or so. We were discussing some of the out of the way places  he had hunted and I was determined to look at some of them myself.. I had my Tek Mk1 along and I did get a chance to do some searching.  I still grin to myself thinking about this, I found some dimes that were on edge and some along concrete sidewalks where the multi target tone of this detector was a real killer. That high tone of non ferrous targets really stood out.. You know even now as I think back,  as good of luck as I had in other places, where he had hunted I didn't really find a helluva lot (grinning) where he had been. The CM 4 really did a great job for him... RIP Dad I remember you well. ....

IMG_1472.JPG