I Hit A Homerun With The Nox

Dan(NM)

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I've been pretty impressed with it.  Obviously it's not the best option for heavy iron, but I was able to pluck two seated dimes and a barber dime out of a hard worked sea of nails and bullet shell area, which impressed the heck out of me ?

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. My hunting buddy and I were wondering how it would do in the iron that's at this place, thanks for the info!!

The large coil is great for coverage at a relatively small weight penalty and will detect even small targets at depth but I have found in highly mineralized soils and especially in thick iron situations, it underperforms the stock coil.  I like the 15" at the beach, but the 11" in the water.  I own the 6" and the 15" and seem to keep coming back to that 11" coil for relic hunting as the 15" tends to get overloaded in thick target situations.  I really think 11" is the optimal coil of the offerings, though I long for smallish elliptical.  Just my experience with them so far FWIW.  All I am saying is temper expectations in thick iron with the 15" as my experience was a little different then Cal's but I also had the complicating factor of high mineralization.

Hats off to you Dan.  I totally know the feeling as I have actually dug 2 out West in 40+ yrs of swinging.  When one of those pops up, you get the shakes real bad and then the best natural high possible.  I get excited just looking at your photos and re-reading the story.  The other saves are nothing to be ashamed of either.  Thanks for the story and sharing.

That was not just a home run, it is a grand slam ... a great writeup befitting the beautiful finds. I am happy for you. Thanks for posting all about your awesome day. May you have many more in your future hunts. 

AS usual, the replies are also informative and enjoyable too.