Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Five Frequency Times Eight

5Fx8-Technology-Logo-Black.png

5F×8 (used in EQUINOX 800*)

5F×8 (Five Frequency Times Eight) provides five individual transmit frequencies in the one metal detector, selectable at the push of a button. Each transmit frequency optimises the detector for different size targets and conditions. EQUINOX 800 offers 5 single frequencies of 5, 10,15, 20, and 40 kHz, giving an 8 times range or ratio from 5 to 40, hence the 5F×8 technology designation.

The individual selectable frequencies in EQUINOX 800 are:

• 5 kHz - Great for large silver coins
  • 10 kHz - Good for small Roman hammered coins
  • 15 kHz - A good general treasure detecting mode
  • 20 kHz - Ideal for general treasure detecting and gold prospecting
  • 40 kHz - Optimum sensitivity to very small gold nuggets

Having five selectable frequencies gives the versatility that is equivalent to five conventional single frequency detectors.

Note that EQUINOX Series detectors also feature Multi-IQ technology which allows you to operate all available single frequencies plus more, simultaneously. The option to operate your detector in a single frequency can be helpful if you are experiencing excessive ground noise when using the Multi-Frequency setting.

*The Equinox 600 3F×3 (Three Frequency Times Three) offers three single frequencies of 5, 10, and 15 kHz, giving a 3 times range or ratio from 5 to 15, hence the 3F×3 technology designation. However, both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 offer identical Multi-IQ modes covering the full frequency range. The Equinox 600 simply disallows direct access to the 20 khz and 40 kHz single frequency modes.

More on selectable frequency and frequency spread here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

So when you say the 600 disallows access to the top two frequencies is this something in the reading material?  :{)  Are the goodies in the box waiting for curious fingers to turn on.....

From http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4488-minelab-equinox-multi-iq-technology-part-2/

minelab-equinox-multi-iq-metal-detector-technology-frequency-response-chart.jpg

“* 20 kHz and 40 kHz are not available as single operating frequencies in EQUINOX 600. The Multi-IQ frequency range shown applies to both EQUINOX 600 and 800. This diagram is representative only. Actual sensitivity levels will depend upon target types and sizes, ground conditions and detector settings.“

Access to the Gold Mode and therefore the 20 kHz and 40 kHz single frequencies is limited to the Equinox 800.

Gold Detecting Mode - Gold Mode operates the high single frequencies of either 20 kHz or 40 kHz to detect gold nuggets in mineralised soils.”

minelab-equinox-600-800-specifications.jpg

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Gold Mode operates the high single frequencies of either 20 kHz or 40 kHz to detect gold nuggets in mineralised soils.”

While perhaps not quite up to the GM1000 in sensitivity to the smallest nuggets I'd bet it will be a real blow to the rest of the competition.

Thanks for that Steve.  I'd read it but it didn't click.  So I reckon it wont be long till there is a hack.... well a few years maybe if you like your warranty ;) and have a couple of grand to break things with. Hahh.  I was excited and well pleased with the new tech of the Zed so I am keeping an eye on this as my old DFX is a bit long in the tooth for a multi freq park sniper.

Detector manufacturers often make one main board for manufacturing volume and efficiency. The top model has all the features activated. Less expensive models they simply limit access to some features, but it is the same detector under the hood. For instance, a White's VX3 is the same circuit board as a V3i with a few features turned off. However, it is not a matter of going in and flipping a switch - the limitations are usually encoded in the firmware. A basic $499 Fisher Gold Bug is the same as a Gold Bug Pro internally. They just took away your access to the manual ground balance. Everyone does it and not just in the detector industry.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      Here it is we talking Detectors and my wife  is asking me what I want for Christmas. I told her already I want that small coil for the Equinox. She’s wanting to know when where and how much it is. I dislike saying I don’t know but right now that’s all I can do.
      Minelab if you read this please post the price of both coils. That way I can get her to send Rob’s Detector Saled a check. I still may have to wait on the Equinox 800 Pinpointer 35 and the coil but I can live with that.
      You know over the years I’ve put out enough money on Minelab Detectors I could have had more than one 7000.
      Oh well it has been fun and it’s not over yet.
      Chuck
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This topic split from a previous thread.
      Hi Brian, nice to see you back. I follow a lot of your posts elsewhere - great stuff!
      The reality is I have been and am part of the Equinox development team in my own small way. I therefore have access to information and knowledge that few do. Yes, I do have an Equinox 800. I have to tread carefully but my goal is to bury you guys with Equinox info to the best of my ability. I have a pretty good idea of what I can and can’t say yet, and I am sure Minelab will pull me quickly within bounds if I stray. That is one reason why I only post on this forum now - the original content must remain under my control. Please do not copy and paste elsewhere! The other reason is of course to get you here 
      Just one thing. Nobody is paying me to act as a salesperson. I don’t have to post any of this stuff. My affiliation with Minelab on the Equinox has been with engineering. I honestly just don’t care what detectors other people buy and there is no benefit in my trying to sway people one way or another. I am however more excited about this detector than any I have ever owned since that first Coinmaster IV in 1972. I am talking barfy finger down the throat fanboy gushy kind of excited. I can’t talk 100% directly yet to things like performance comparisons but I can say this. I sold the XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Teknetics G2, Minelab CTX 3030 and the Equinox 800 is replacing all of them. I won’t miss any of them. That should just about sum it up 
    • By Ringmoney
      Steve if you have the ear of Minelab, would you please try and get it into their heads that if they want to compete with XP in Europe, they will have to come out with a coil suitable for hunting in stubble fields. The 11" is to big and 6" is to small, what is needed is a 8"-9" round. I am looking forward to the 800 but all ready I am thinking I cant get rid of the Deus for this fact and if I cant get rid of the Deus, I just cant justify buying an Equinox. I would still own my CTX if there was a proper selection of coils. 
    • By TreasureGuy

Anyone else buying the 600? I am for sure! I have owed a handful of detectors that run between these frequencies and they have been truly amazing.
      I think the 600 specifications will be adequate for all my fields here in the UK, what about you?
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This information started out as part of a comparison between the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 but I wanted to make it a subject of it's own by expanding on it here.
      The Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 are basically the same detector, but there are a few advanced options available on the Equinox 800 that are not available on the Equinox 600. This article explores the various tone options and what they are on each model. This image from the Minelab Equinox 600 / 800 Getting Started Guide highlights the audio setting options. The items marked with an asterisk denote features only available on the Equinox 800.

Tone Volume - A relatively new feature allows some detectors to set the volume of the ferrous (iron and steel) tones to be lower than the volume of non-ferrous tone responses. This can be much easier on the ears in locations full of ferrous trash where every swing of the coil produces many ferrous responses, with the non-ferrous responses being few and far between. Both the Equinox 600 and 800 can adjust the ferrous tone volume. Relic hunters in particular find being able to adjust the ferrous tone volume to be a very useful function. Again, this feature is available on both Equinox models.
      The Equinox 800 goes a step farther in allowing the non-ferrous tone volumes to be adjusted. Maybe you have coins set to give a high tone, but you have a hearing loss in the high tone range. The Equinox 800 allows you to increase the volume of the high tone response in relation to the other tones, making it easier to hear. This is most useful in the five tone mode, which by default has one tone for ferrous, and four separate tones for different parts of the non-ferrous discrimination scale. Each of these four non-ferrous tones can have individual volume levels.
      Threshold Pitch - Both the Equinox 600 and 800 allow you to set the threshold volume level, but the Equinox 800 also allows you to set the threshold pitch or tone. Again, this is good for people that have hearing loss issues in particular ranges.
      Target Tone - Both Equinox models allow you to choose from several pre-set tone options. Single Tone (monotone), Two Tone (usually ferrous/non-ferrous), Five Tones, or Fifty Tones. The tones are preset but in conjunction with the Tone Volume above both the Equinox 600 and 800 let you adjust the ferrous volume to suit your ear.
      Tone Pitch - As noted before, both the Equinox models allow you to adjust the ferrous volume. Both models also allow you to customize the ferrous tone pitch. Maybe the tone is too high and you would like it to be lower. Or perhaps higher. Both Equinox models allow you to set both the ferrous volume and ferrous pitch or tone.
      The Equinox 800 also allows you to customize each non-ferrous pitch or tone to your preference. Again, good for those with hearing loss, but also very good for creating custom audio discrimination patterns. However, note that the 50 tone mode is exempt from tone and volume adjustments and is the same on both models.
      For example, perhaps the owner of an Equinox 800 is most interested in gold responses. The Five Tone mode has a very low tone for ferrous targets. The non-ferrous portion of the scale is divided up into four segments, with each segment making a higher pitch tone. Large silver coins are set by default to be the highest tone. This imaginary gold hunter might decide to set the high silver range as a low tone because very few gold items read in the high silver range. The operator could then more easily focus on the new mid-range higher tones as being more likely gold responses.
      Tone Break - The positions on the target id scale where one tone shifts to another is factory preset. Both the Equinox models let you adjust the point where ferrous tones shift to non-ferrous tones (the ferrous tone break) - a very important feature. Manufacturers try to set the zero point (or some other numeric reading) as being where ferrous tones shift to non-ferrous tone. The Equinox model discrimination scale is -9 through 0 as ferrous, and positive numbers 1 - 40 as non-ferrous
      Unfortunately, that point is actually an overlapping range, especially for small gold items and ferrous. The factory does the best they can, but certain soil conditions may cause non-ferrous items to read in the ferrous range. Both the Equinox 600 and Equinox 800 allow you to shift the ferrous break point up or down as you see fit. For instance, the operator may want to set -1 and -2 as non-ferrous readings. This means they will dig more ferrous items, but also possibly valuable non-ferrous items missed by others.
      With the Equinox 800 the other non-ferrous audio controls really come together knowing you can also adjust the break points between the non-ferrous tones. This means you can create totally custom audio discrimination modes on the Equinox 800. Again, the 50 tone mode is exempt, so this is most useful in five tone mode. You can move the break points around as you please with the Equinox 800, and even use this to create four tone and three tone modes. You can move a couple target id segments to both read in the ferrous range and assign them a similar tone for instance, so two of the tones will be ferrous, and the three remaining tones assigned to non-ferrous items as the operator pleases. This is an incredibly compelling feature for people like me that hunt almost entirely by ear with the target id numbers only coming into play after the fact. Still, more of an advanced user function for sure, which is why only the Equinox 800 has these options.

• By Dan(NM)
      If someone in the know could verify this, I'd be more than grateful.