Hip Stick For GPZ

In one of the latest videos from JP and his 7000 about Smoothing you will notice he is using a HipStick.  

I use it for all my detectors.  A recent innovation for me is to put my finds pouch belt around the outside of the HipStick and this prevents just about all of the slippage around the side.  It pins the stick to my body and it is more comfortable.

Mitchel

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Hipstick works great on the gpz 7000. Only issue, you have to tilt the handle with the control display either left or right off of square with the coil. Because the bungee hits the control display when you swing back and forth. 

Wrap the bungee around the display screen.  I did this for years with the 3030 and now I am doing it with the 7000.

I thought the weight might be an issue on the case but it doesn't seem to be a problem yet.

Mitchel

Just to be very clear on something:

the Minelab ProSwing harness is the newcomer.

The most recent model has directly utilized the concept

that was invented by the originator of the Hipstick.

I'll be posting more later as I've recently come back from my walk about in OZ.

I strongly suggest that one use the hip stick.  Even with the Pro Swing unless one uses the full harness and supports you Will *that's a capitol* find a world of hurt waiting for you trying to use the Zed without support.

*note: some of us cant be manly men and quite frankly wimps don't pan out either but working smarter not harder is the best bet all the way around*

The Pro Swing in a 50 percent config, ie just the one j-rod with the harness fitted proper and Tight, with the Hip Stick *regardless of vendor* will cut down and eliminate the "Zed Arm". 
Whats the Zed Arm?  Its the fatigue and eventual damage one will cause to ones arm while doing the manly thing.  I know because I experimented in the field doing 8 to 12 hours a day this summer in OZ.  Watched my partner get messed up to but he was "manly" and persisted.... well we both whined and cried later ;)

Had a get together with a bloke and his wife while in Mount Magnet.  He was swinging the Zed and she a 4500.  When we all sat down to a cuppa his complaints were the same as we had experienced.  Long story short he had a hip stick, had left his J rods at home :(, however after adjusting his harness and adding the stick he felt the immediate improvement and I expect he's right as rain now.

Support is everything when your swinging an anvil and trying to hammer little nails with it ;)  The bungee trick only helps so much.  A full harness and supports can be, well is, restrictive. *especially in a bush emergency after a bad meal*  The hip stick with a partial harness is a good combo to this guy.

• Like 1

Just to be very clear on something:

the Minelab ProSwing harness is the newcomer.

The most recent model has directly utilized the concept

that was invented by the originator of the Hipstick.

The Minelab harness (or any harness) is actually a 'different' concept.  They use a frame (or a strap) but that frame is close to the body.  The point of pull or the lift to the detector comes from the chest.

The Hipstick has a mechanical advantage of holding up the weight of the detector away from the chest with your hips and leg and a minor amount of pull on the chest and arm.  This makes the detector weightless to your arm if you adjust it that way.  You can swing any detector with 2 fingers.  You would not need the extra swing arm (I don't use it).

The mechanical advantage of the Hipstick is what makes it superior and an additional item that can be added to any harness.

Mitchel