Coota

X Does It For Me

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

An ounce a day.... nice to be some, it's good to see some little bits there in with it all.... perhaps they just look small as everything else is huge. :laugh:  JW's been killing it with his 10" X-coil lately too.

He should be saving a lot of time for finding gold since he's not posting his finds on a regular basis!  I know it is time consuming for documenting and posting the results.

I miss his posts.  I could turn on the computer.  Get a drink and see new gold finds on a regular basis.  

Steve's readership must have dropped considerably without him. (Or maybe it has gone up with people looking constantly for his next post!)  haha

Mitchel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Thanks to Dave (Davsgold) I got to test the 12" X coil for GPX, on a perfect Victorian early spring day. Besides testing it on Minelab's pulse induction detector, I also wanted to see how it would perform on QED. 

Firstly the X was air tested and compared with various makes and sizes of coils on GPX using very small gold and a 330 ml beer can, and then used on ground to see just how well it handled various soil and mineralization situations.

I could fill a page with measurements and settings, but instead will just give general impressions and observations. 

On small gold it was surprisingly good both in air tests and in ground and gave a better response than smaller and similar sized coils both bundle, flat or spiral wound on the GPX. The beer can was only used in air tests, and it was marginally better than similar sized coils, but got blitzed by the 25" Nuggetfinder, as one would expect.

When air tested on the QED the results were very good, with measured distances being a bare fraction less than the GPX on the beer can but on a par with tiny gold. The signal was very sharp and positive on a pinhead sized bit of gold, but a small ragged, reefy piece about a gram and a half that the GPX did not give a very good signal on sounded very positive with the QED at twice the distance of the GPX. It seems there are some types of gold that the GPX does not perform so well on, but the QED does. The same was noted with both detectors on ground.

Testing was done on ground at my property, which is gold bearing, and fairly typical of central Victorian goldfields. The pleasant surprise is just how stable and yet sensitive this X coil is. For QED users the good news is that it can be run 'hotter' than anything else I have used on a QED so far. I had gain flat out at setting ten and mode down at position one, with the coil behaving beautifully. The weight is quite light when compared to other coils of a similar size. 

I think I might sell a couple of my other coils and buy one of these.

Nice to hear some updates on X-Coils for the GPX end users....Thanks !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

The signal was very sharp and positive on a pinhead sized bit of gold, but a small ragged, reefy piece about a gram and a half that the GPX did not give a very good signal on sounded very positive with the QED at twice the distance of the GPX. It seems there are some types of gold that the GPX does not perform so well on, but the QED does. The same was noted with both detectors on ground.

For QED users the good news is that it can be run 'hotter' than anything else I have used on a QED so far. I had gain flat out at setting ten and mode down at position one, with the coil behaving beautifully. The weight is quite light when compared to other coils of a similar size.

Hi Reg,

My 12x6" Semi Spiral wound X-coil also runs Mode 1 with a Gain of 10 on the QED nice and quietly.  I thought it was just the QED in my soils but by the sounds of it there maybe more to that as some coils do run better at such high gains.  The Coiltek Joey ran at Mode 1 gain 10 fine  I had to run my NF EVO on mode 3 or higher.  I didn't really find the Minelab Commander 11" mono to run well in mode 1 either so I ran it in mode 3+ also. That's all the mono coils I own 🙂

For those not familiar with the QED mode 1 is the highest sensitivity and really finds tiny gold and pellets the GPX misses for me.  It sounds like when my QED arrives back from it's Australian holiday with the new firmware I maybe able to run mode 1 on every coil 🙂

As for gold the QED see's the GPX misses, I can confirm that too using my 12x6" Xcoil..... The QED saw my bit the GPX didn't see at all and better than JW's GPZ in his crazy powerful settings as for him it had to touch the coil where as the QED got it with a little bit of depth..

It's good you enjoyed your X-coil experience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mn90403 said:

He should be saving a lot of time for finding gold since he's not posting his finds on a regular basis!  I know it is time consuming for documenting and posting the results.

I miss his posts.  I could turn on the computer.  Get a drink and see new gold finds on a regular basis.  

Steve's readership must have dropped considerably without him. (Or maybe it has gone up with people looking constantly for his next post!)  haha

Mitchel

Yes, he's having a bit of a break from forums, I hope he comes back at some point.  His posts were great reading for me especially as they were very informative for me learning prospecting in the same area he hunts and entertaining, the most regular gold finder posting them on here by far.

1425530553_x-coilsJW.thumb.jpg.076a628b72741cb651316284bc9f4336.jpg

This is just him on one day, he has many days like this lately! He's doing very well.... makes me jealous.  The little 10" X-coil seems the perfect match for NZ conditions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

JW's been killing it with his 10" X-coil lately too

JW, won't you please come home??? You've been gone toooooo   long!

and I miss the pic's

fred

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yes, (KiwiJW's) having a bit of a break from forums, I hope he comes back at some point.

Add my name to the list who have missed his presence.  Simon, please let him know we appreciate his posts (and instruction) and look forward to more.  But if the pic you show is representative of his recent finds I suspect he's quite busy swinging his detector.  Your weather is turning for the better (winter almost over)?  Or are you like the Aussies and Arizonans who prefer to hunt in winter?

• Like 1

Heading home from the WA trip which was excellent, we went via Adelaide SA to catch up with some friends for a few days, so as you do a bit of detecting was suggested in the Adelaide Hills.

I scored my first bit of SA gold, 1.25 grams with the 17x12 spiral X-Coil on the mighty 7000

First SA gold.jpg

cheers dave

• Like 5

Now the 17x12 spiral X-Coil has a smaller brother the 15x10 spiral X-Coil for the mighty 7000

Weighs in at about 1170 grams without the lower shaft, or 1290 grams with the lower shaft attached, compared to the GPZ14 which weighs about 1440 grams with the lower shaft attached

15x10 spiral a.jpg

• Like 2