Attempting To Fix My X-coils Lead

I bought an X-coils 20 Spiral early on for my gpz7000. 

Being one of the early coils the leads weren't fantastic, something they rectified later on. The problem was that the lead windings were too big and irregular in size. This caused a lot of problems when swapping over coils as it didn't slide inside the shaft well. I also found that on hot days the lead would stretch out of shape making things worse 

It's been a constant battle to fit inside the shaft and was getting worse to the point it was nearly impossible to use. A while back I attempted to fix the lead by winding it around the shaft shown in the picture and slightly heating it with a heat gun. That worked for a while but the spirals were still too big and it pulled out of shape quickly.

Today I'm trying something different. I'm trying a screwdriver that has a smaller diameter shaft, hoping to create a smaller spiral.  I tied the lead to the driver and then heated it as I wound it on tight, continuing until it was all wound on. Hopefully, I haven't ruined the lead by heating it too much.

*After doing this the lead fit a lot better but is still catching a bit in the middle as the lead has a fat spot, where the lead cable is extra thick.

If this doesn't work long-term I may have to pull the coil apart and fit a new lead.

429787489_1386756275358844_7336732895102286951_n.thumb.jpg.8b488b60230ce2a3b8e3545085916dd5.jpg429629109_836565958501213_7244117854108314680_n.thumb.jpg.2076ba3dda4df0ea63a4ec94d1235dc3.jpg

• Like 2

Re did the lead on my trusty 10" X-Coils also. Although not as bad as the 20" coil it was somewhat difficult to get the lead down the zeds shaft. Much better now429139762_1347244236674840_2144753909334707217_n.thumb.jpg.19db257660f5a63f02b3a2dae732c060.jpg

• Like 2

I also have one of the early 10” X-coils which I also heated and wrapped for tighter turns. Later I opened the plastic housing up with the intent to replace the cable. It was not practical if not impossible. 

I recommend replacing it with a new cable. Making the splice midway between the coil and the curly part of the cable.  Use marine grade (has hot glue inside) shrink tubing over each splice and over the entire area.  

Phrunt put me onto this source for cables. I have ordered both the GPZ 7000 and the GPX 6000 cables. I will let you know the quality when they arrive.

Applicable to metal detector: gpz7000 sdc2300 gold monster 1000 (aliexpress.com)

• Like 3

yea, I'm glad they fixed those early cables in later coils, it's a few years now since the coils had those cables on them, my 12x6" GPX coil has a similar type of cable although due to not having curls it makes no difference really just a bit more difficult to wrap.

Sounds like you may have a solution Jin, Chet's idea of replacing the cable is a good one too and the path I'd take if your trick doesn't last, you can buy the cables here

If you're not confident to do it give David Gibb a call and get him to do it for you, won't cost much it's only joining 5 wires and you'd supply the cable which costs you something like $40.

I'd be lucky if that happened to me thinking about it, as I could just cut the curls off and put a plug there, as I have a Chet style adapter too which uses the original curls.

GPZCables.jpg.0323c1715c5294c5eac42d86e774fb4d.jpg

Some ready to be turned into Chet style adapters.

You guys may find this interesting, it's an original GPZ 14" coil that the security chip had a soldering problem, and would come up coil error.  It was able to be repaired by pulling the plug end apart and resoldering the chip.

It shows the tiny little chip that has caused everyone so much grief by limiting coils.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Later I opened the plastic housing up with the intent to replace the cable. It was not practical if not impossible. 

Thanks, Ill take your word on that and won't attempt to open up the coil. I like the idea of joining on a new lead also, i never thought of that.

• Like 2

I'm having good success covering small wiring repairs with Gardner Bender's Liquid Tape.  It can be painted on in areas where you can't put on a shrink wrap.  It takes several coats, but is flexible and tough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

You guys may find this interesting, it's an original GPZ 14" coil that the security chip had a soldering problem, and would come up coil error.  It was able to be repaired by pulling the plug end apart and resoldering the chip.

Yep, I had a problem with my patch lead a few years back also.

I had a broken audio wire right next to the chip break causing audio blanking every time I touched the coil to the ground. There was bugger all wire left to join it together properly so I soldered a little piece of wire between the two broken ends.

I amazed myself that I was able to fix it as my hands shake a bit and my eyesight isn't the best. I also know little about electronics. My nack is to just pull things apart and have a crack at fixing it. If it doesn't work I buy a new one. Sometimes sending things off to get repaired is more hassle than attempting to fix them. 

• Like 6

Bummer of a problem I found a sprinkle of baby powder rubbed over the curly when fitting made the job a little easier, not an ideal solution as Chets will be.

• Like 1

Went out this afternoon to make sure both coils worked ok after the heat treatment.... All good🙂

• Like 5

The wires are coated in Teflon, heating them up to reshape shouldn't cause any issues.

Good you've got it sorted.  

• Like 3