Uk's ' Largest ' Gold Nugget Discovered In Scottish River

Mark T

It should read 3.9 troy ounce,  Not 4.2 oz as stated I think the writer does not know Troy weight system.

The value  of £80,000 quoted due to it rareness would leave it open to being a scam.

Great looking nuggets.

• Like 2

I hope they can prove it out but until they do this is what they say:

"Unfortunately the world of gold is very divisive. If someone finds a nugget it is not necessarily true.

"This has come out of the blue and there is no confirmed provenance.

"I would like to think it is real but it can take many months to establish if it is genuine and at the moment there is no proof."

Now why would you want to prove that you found the nugget on land where you have to split with an owner and take a government price?

Mitchel

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I hope they can prove it out but until they do this is what they say:

"Unfortunately the world of gold is very divisive. If someone finds a nugget it is not necessarily true.

"This has come out of the blue and there is no confirmed provenance.

"I would like to think it is real but it can take many months to establish if it is genuine and at the moment there is no proof."

Now why would you want to prove that you found the nugget on land where you have to split with an owner and take a government price?

Mitchel

Well for starters because it could be gold from somewhere else planted to make it seem like a record find to get a higher price. If for real it's museum quality stuff in Scotland. If California gold it's nice but nothing earth-shaking as far as size.

It's an interesting story for sure. However, as a person who has done a lot of sniping I find this part of the story very questionable:

"The nugget was found using the method of "sniping", which sees gold hunters lying face down in a river while wearing a snorkel and dry suit. The enthusiast unearthed the larger piece first, which weighs 89.6g (3.1oz), before finding the other half, weighing 31.7g (1,1oz) 10 minutes later. Mr Palmer said: "The man just threw the bigger piece in his bucket with the rest of his stuff - he knew it was big but didn't realise how big. "He found the second nugget 30cm (12in) away and chucked that in his bucket too."It wasn't until a couple of days later that he had a look at them and realised how big they were and that they fitted together.""

Honestly, that's just nuts. Gold appears 50% larger when viewed underwater, and anybody looking for gold would have a heart-stopping moment finding something like this. The weight in hand alone would stop you cold. How could anyone find these while sniping but not have a clue until days later the finds were exceptional in any way? As in not even bothering to look at them for a couple days? I'm sorry, but this does not ring true to me at all, and leads me to question what exactly is going on here with this find. I don't blame them at all for being suspicious.

Remember this scam?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm always a tad skeptical when they proclaim these extreme premiums due to their rare location. 80,000 GPB ($105k USD) for less than 4 troy oz's?. I'd think the seller would need to go above-and-beyond to prove the source was true before making that sort of claim for ~$6,000 worth of AU. And I agree Steve, a sniper pulls up a 3+ ounce nugget and casually.tosses it in the bucket to inspect days later. Hmmmm... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve, you are right!  I wondered when reading 'what could the rest of the stuff' possibly be compared to a nugget of the first size or the second size.

You could have heard me all the way to California from Scotland if it was found during a legitimate hunt.  It could possibly be found at a location 'near' an off limits area and now the 'foggy story' is presented to let it fly but they are already on to it.

• 2 weeks later...

There has being a lot of speculation about this nugget. For starters Lee Palmer was not the supposed finder, and it conveniently came to light with the release of Lee Palmers new book "Gold occurrences in the UK"????  Apart from that, there has no providence supplied that proves it was found in Scotland. As for the biggest in the UK, there is historic reports of a 2lb nugget found back in the day. 

• The title was changed to Uk's ' Largest ' Gold Nugget Discovered In Scottish River