Article: When Metal Detectorists Go Rogue

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Greed brings out the worst in some people

I fully agree but I was also a bit surprised by how the general public can view our community.. although i've had a few encounters with people who saw me as a 'scab' (someone preying on the misfortunes of others).. I also didn't realise that in England these 'bad apples' had a name: Night Hawkers.. does sound pretty exotic.. 

Its not just unique to just the UK you will find that it is possible in many many more countries that allow legal detecting as well as those countries that have a total blanket ban on detecting as well.In those countries that dont allow metal detecting and every country has some form of history some more that others but i can guarantee that illegal detecting or recovering historical items in other ways still happens and of course its totally wrong irrespective on how its done this could be night/day hawking or even just owning a metal detector in some countries is outlawed.

Stories like this ie in the Guardian with the juicy souped up headline to attract readers is possibly over exaggerated with once again juicy images of gold and silver treasure from prime sites,it makes the majority of legal abiding detectorist look as if they are all the same just out to rob sites of hoards etc.Alas this is not the case,the person who is mentioned in the article 'Paul Barford' has lived in Poland for many years and although he is a archaeologist on paper i doubt that he has been on a historic dig for a very very long time,he actually as i understand it is a taxi driver in Poland,also he is in every aspect 'anti metal detecting'  all you need to do is take a look at his online Blog and you will see why so many detectorist in the UK hate him with vengeance.

In all aspect be it a hobby/interest or what ever pastime you love and also including all aspects of life including politics you will always find folks who spoil it for thae majority of other and its also these bad apples that make that headlines much more than the good deeds that one rarely sees posted with a amazing headline,certainly not in the same limelight as the bad folks who do illegal things in metal detecting.

• Like 2