Looks like a great option! 👍

• Thanks 1

The detector without battery weighs 3.2 lbs, a solid pound lighter that with the battery. And while it may not be as well balanced, I could swing it all day like that with no problem at all. But then I am used to much heavier detectors, like the ATX and GPZ 7000.

Here is a mockup of what this would look like with the 26650 battery pack simply strapped under the armrest using the included velcro strap, which would work just fine. It would need a different power cable setup. Imagine the square USB outlet at a headphone jack instead. The whole thing might be waterproofed but I think I'd submerge the battery box at the bottom of a swimming pool for 24 hours and see what happens before I'd go that far. Joe has the better alternative for that already.

Replacing the Fisher battery with this 4 x 26650 alternative under elbow puts the weight right back at stock, 4.2 pounds, but with a much longer run time (to be determined).

steveh-aq-battery mod-4.jpg

• Like 2

I'm really impressed at how creative you can be. I need help changing the batteries in my Ray-O-Vac flashlight. 😄

• Haha 1

Great Job Steve!! For the price and setup you can't go wrong. 

Powered up - and no smoke! Love that!

We have the same wiring colors. The good, the Brown is Hot, and the Blue is the Neg..Same as the Excalibur's wiring. So it's easy for me to remember. 

20200718_225030.jpg

• Like 4

Steve,  good engineering job on that AQ hombrew battery system! I followed your design and just ordered the battery holder and cable, but now the EBL 26650 are out of stock on every website! Since I'm awaiting my AQ, I have some time to wait for the batteries and components.:fisher:

Bill 

Battery options are evolving so rapidly some stuff is becoming obsolete before it hardly gets started. According to this article that is the case with the 26650 battery. It sounds like many of them are unreliable "rewraps."

The battery holder does have sleeves for 18650 batteries. I have two of those left over from another project, and may have to get a couple more just to have a complete set for this pack as a backup.

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Battery options are evolving so rapidly some stuff is becoming obsolete before it hardly gets started. According to this article that is the case with the 26650 battery. It and this other article recommend various 26650 alternatives, but sounds like it may be a bit risky, especially on eBay, which has pretty loose standards on this sort of stuff.

The battery holder does have sleeves for 18650 batteries. I have two of those left over from another project, and may have to get a couple more just to have a complete set for this pack as a backup.

I'm not sure about that web site, those UltraFire batteries are junk..and they have them as #2..??..I've learn best to buy the brand names...Like Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG...anything with fire in the name is a reject from the mentioned brand names, one's that did not pass spec's, and has been repackaged. I'm new to the EBL's but from what Carolina, Dew and looks like AAron says they are good..

https://www.18650batterystore.com/18650-Batteries-s/106.htm

Steve, 

Based on the website I ordered the 4-pack 26650 8000 mAH li-ions, flat top battery with protection and a 2 slot charger from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086RGS6TX?tag=homeelectr0a1-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=26650 Battery

Bill

• Like 2

I agree Joe and I'm not vouching for any of them except the EBL ones I have. I deleted that second link. Supposedly none of the big name guys are making 26650 batteries anymore is the main problem.

Bill, I guess the main thing is these things are dirt cheap, so not like we can get burned too bad. Only need to come up with four good ones.

I ordered the rubber boots I linked to above from Amazon. They are not as thick walled as I hoped and do not add much strength, but at least a little protection is better than none. I'm giving this a go tomorrow and will report back.

battery-boot.jpg

steveh-aq-battery mod-5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Rick Kempf
      With this weeks output, 8 units the last two weeks. Hope the trend continues and increases.

• By cdv
      Approximately  3 hour hunt (one battery), about 2 hours in the water in the Gulf. Water was almost flat with a slight current, bottom was rippled. This particular beach doesn't get many tourists and is somewhat out of the way, I didn't expect a lot of targets.
      Since I still have loads to learn on the machine, I didn't spend a whole lot of time with any specific setting as I was trying to see what adjustments did what. Hunted in all metal the entire hunt.  I found you really need to hunt slow to avoid any rising threshold due to swinging into deeper water. Sensitivity adjustments and delay adjustments helped. The machine was more than useable in the water with the exception of the coil connector when it enters/exits the water. Odd thing on that was I thought I was shallow enough but the connector sticks out a good ways.....
      The tent stakes, sinker, and bottle caps were from the wet sand. The few other targets were from the water waist to chest deep. The dime seemed to be the deepest target at about 3 scoops deep give or take. There was no mistaking the ring as a target, it wasn't a whisper at all.....got it with the second scoop.
      Pinpointing the target prior to digging was easier with the 12" coil then I had thought it would be.
      Balance on this machine is really good for wet/dry hunting, however, it did take a few adjustments to my typical hunting style to have good coil control in the water, it does show you how "bad" your normal coil control may be....
      You sure don't have to worry about when the battery is getting low, it lets you know when it is time to change batteries or go home!
      All in all, I'm liking this machine so far....
      Cliff

• By A.M
      Just a heads up...  Seeing a few of the charging leads coming apart at the head. 

Could be a batch problem as some I have seen look 100% OK  and have had some use... 

Others seem to have started showing problems - see the 3 pics of my 2 charging heads  AND the last pic.. (not mine) is at time of un packing; and was almost separated...

One of mine is not crash hot and the other could fail with a little push.   A simple weld will fix the problem, but will be e-mailing ML service to let them know.

• By Turfdigger
      Can anyone advise me on what USB charger I should get for the Equinox 800 please?
    • By jimpugh
      Getting ready to ramp up......what’s better than a AQ...... hmmmmm ....Two AQ’s
      Happy Trails
      jimpugh

• By schoolofhardNox
      Got a chance to try the AQ on the wet slopes at one of my beaches. I spent most of the day waiting for a low tide so I could see how the AQ performed for me. This beach is generally protected, so the beach does not get ripped up very often from storms. The first part of the day was using my GPX for the dry sand. Late afternoon I spent 2 ¾ hours on the wet slope with the AQ. I ran mute exclusively with 7.5us. It ran very stable with almost no end of sweep falsing. Really nice and smooth. I am still learning, so I dug everything I heard (and even a couple of nulls) which ended up being a quarter and a toy car. The hair pins and long thin wires all gave a double beep, I will be passing on digging them from now on. I will probably live with digging the bottle caps as there are not as many on the wet slopes as there are on the dry sand. I did find 2 rings and was hoping for gold but stainless 316 and aluminum is all I could muster up. They did come in very strong and were in the 10-12” range. All in all, I am happy with the performance of the AQ and I am sure when I get some hours under my belt, I will be more confident in what to dig. I rarely give up on digging a target once I start, but I had to leave a nice deep small target. The water was filling up the hole and the sides caved in so many times that I gave up on it. This area of the beach has a layer of fine sand followed by a layer or small pebble and shell. The next layer has larger rocks locked together tightly. A small target was located somewhere in that last layer. Using the edge of the coil vertically as a pin pointer on the AQ works excellent. What does not work at all is Garrett's pin pointer in water. Even balancing it to the water does not help. I think if I had a better pin pointer, I would have located that target. Also, I am really liking the ease of using the AQ. It does not take you long to get used to how it works or how it sounds. I think it will work well for my type of beach hunting.