I see Jamflicker on Friendly forum just hit 2000 silver coins in about 10  years hunting which is amazing. I bet our member Raphis  here on this forum is in that  range too.10 years and 2000 silver = vacuum cleaner.I am talking about wild coins and not organized hunts.I am in that  club because  I found over 500 silver in a spilled cache which helped me get  there more easily.To tell the truth  I don't know what my exact totals are.I would have to go through my records since 1999. How many here are in that club?If not what  total are you at and how many years.

• Like 5

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see Jamflicker on Friendly forum just hit 2000 silver coins in about 10  years hunting which is amazing. I bet our member Raphis  here on this forum is in that  range too.10 years and 2000 silver =

I've been at it since I was in 8th grade, which was about 1976.   I wish I'd kept track of all the silver coins I'd found, so I could chime in on your question 🤪 I would not count caches (yes, ev

This was a barn (long story about why anyone would have been detecting there, TO BEGIN WITH, so I'll have to leave out that part of the story).   But suffice it to say, the location of the barn had so

My cache was found with a  friend.It was  in best finds for 2007 in western and eastern   by curt roe titled  I think" Silver in the  rough".We invited clad hopper along for the ride too.I got more after the article too.

• Like 1

I've been at it since I was in 8th grade, which was about 1976.   I wish I'd kept track of all the silver coins I'd found, so I could chime in on your question 🤪

I would not count caches (yes, even spilled ones) into the total.  If you're talking of singular fumble-finger-losses, then a cache or broke-open-cache is not in the same category.   Jamflicker & Dan ("Raphis") are finding them one-fumble-finger loss at a time.   I too, decades ago, got into  a location where jars of silver coins had apparently broken open by a farm plow.  And spread out into a field and barn area.   Such that sometimes you'd get 5 or 10 silver coins all fused together.   That's different than the 1-at-a-time that Dan and Jam do, as you know.

Also, there's different niches.   Ie.: While that might be the most merc's from turfed So. CA parks (or ANY USA parks in-a-given-year), yet there's other niches.   Like notice they find few, if any, seateds.   And there's guys that have no desire to knock themselves silly for  roosies and mercs in junky turf cherry-picking.  And might only end the year with 10 or 12 silver coins.  Yet every one of them will be a seated.   So as you can see :  Different niche categories of skill. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

My cache was found with a  friend.It was  in best finds for 2007 in western and eastern   by curt roe titled  I think" Silver in the  rough".We invited clad hopper along for the ride too.I got more after the article too.

Could you tell us more about that here on the forum?  I could go looking for that magazine but seems like a lot of work when the horse's mouth is right here in the flesh (well 'in the pen' anyway)!  :biggrin:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Could you tell us more about that here on the forum?  I could go looking for that magazine but seems like a lot of work when the horse's mouth is right here in the flesh (well 'in the pen' anyway)!  :biggrin:

There was a brown building at a beach by Lake ontario and a  bulldozer cut a path next to   it.I went off the path and started finding silver on the weeds on  top.We found about 5  different piles within 20 yards.The cut path was next to a pond and we went in and got even more.Mostly mercs and  Rosies and no key dates.The coins dated to 1963.  

• Like 1

I just talked to clad hopper and his total with the cache is 2317.His    tally from the  cache is about 350 which puts him just under 2000 for non cache coins.He told me he is at 994 for  indians also. We both started hunting in the summer of 1999.    

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

There was a brown building at a beach by Lake ontario....

Did you ever come up with a hypothesis on why those coins were cached there?  Did the building predate the beach (I'm assuming public beach...) or was it some kind of concession stand or ??

In Charles Garrett's book on cache hunting he says that the best way to succeed is to find a potential site first through research, but that (of course) stumbling upon them does happen.  Sounds like you did the latter, but that's nothing to feel bad about.  😉  Some of my best finds (singles, not caches) came about without me having a clue they might be there.

1 minute ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did you ever come up with a hypothesis on why those coins were cached there?  Did the building predate the beach (I'm assuming public beach...) or was it some kind of concession stand or ??

In Charles Garrett's book on cache hunting he says that the best way to succeed is to find a potential site first through research, but that (of course) stumbling upon them does happen.  Sounds like you did the latter, but that's nothing to feel bad about.  😉  Some of my best finds (singles, not caches) came about without me having a clue they might be there.

it could have been an old beach  house .It is abandoned now.

• Like 1

To answer Tom.Even  without  the cache i would be over 1000 for sure.The cache was just icing on the cake.  I also like finding the older(pre   Barber)silver coins but they are tough. I hunted 2.5 years with the Nox and not even 1 ,but   I have found 4 Large cents and 1 was  near a sandbox like Tom always says. I like his   sense of humor.When you go out metal  detecting just have fun because that's what it's all about. I will count my total Tom's  way for he is right that getting those coins the way he described is the way they should be counted. I will  have cache total plus non cache total and for fun combine the 2 since I liked finding  that big  pile of  coins.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      So I'm still trying to milk the same cow 😄 I figured until it stops spitting silver on me, I will continue to ask for it. Long day at the beach 8:30-5:00, but the weather was decent, as I dress well for the cold. I'm getting to be a delicate flower in my advancing years 🤔 I'm using the GPX all day for this hunt and digging select areas and removing all iron so I can hear the deep targets.I hit a patch that started producing exclusively wheat pennies, so I knew that the chance for silver was very possible.  It did produce some silver but the ratio was mostly pennies. Moving over just a bit, the wheats turned into memorials and the clad followed as well. Not a bad day with 8 silvers, but I worked harder than usual for it.The beach is slowly sanding in and the easy stuff is gone. No gold again, but switching the timings on the GPX did start getting me a lot of nickels, including a handful of Buffalo. Jewelry was missing as usual, but the spoons sure weren't lacking 🙄 So here is everything I dug. Lots of junk too. It was great to get out and enjoy the hobby.

• By F350Platinum
      Yet another spring like day today. Started out relatively warm, about 48. I decided to do some scouting on land I haven't visited as yet so I will know where to go in the future. In particular I was looking for another house that was in one of the fields back in 1917.
      I think I found it. Found what looks like a drawer keyhole, and then an aluminum child's ring with no stone. It is very fragile and pretty mangled, but highly decorated.
      I visited three separate areas, two yielded coins. I dug the 1967 quarter and a 1937 wheat penny. Went way out in the field near the river and found an 1867 Indian head. It was very difficult to find the date but I did. In the area that had no coins I found one small colonial button, it appears to have a backstamp but it is unreadable.
      Not bad for just walking around at random, really coin shooting.

• By F350Platinum
      Another fabulous weather day here. Started out at 32 degrees, ended up about 63. I had a forum member special guest who may or may not identify himself, but he did a lot better than me. We started out on an old un-hunted landing, visited a very trashy point nearby, and finished up back at the landing and in the farm. 8 hours for me! Total blast. I like hunting alone but it's nice to have an esteemed visitor.
      Top down in the photo:
      Ford hubcap (I think) but certainly a Ford part. What I believe to be the "rest" of this vehicle is in the woods nearby. This little cap was a surprising 32 on my Equinox. Edit: Definitely a model "T" hubcap. Not sure what the "w" means. 1917-21.
      Some sort of work animal tack, it's solid brass and rings like a tuning fork when dropped. Looks like it snapped off of a screw or bolt. Rein guide?
      Cool brass buckle, a 26, some sort of white metal object with some decoration, an unidentifiable whatzit that was a solid 15, another "river queen" Indian head penny, an 1888 Indian head (it was tough to get a date off that one - still might not be right), broken tombac, a "D" buckle from the extremely trashy point, and yet another thimble, this one mashed flat. We  left the point because it was just insanely signal-rich, and nothing we tried could help that. Apparently hunters eat their lunch there and bury the trash.
      Hope this doesn't bore y'all to death. Don't think it will if the guest chimes in! One more day this week outside and then it's gonna rain for 4. Guess I'll have to get some work done around the house. Borrowed a new toy to play with, more later.

• By Wendell Clark
      I got out today for about 4 hours. A couple of old locals told me of an area near a WW2 air field that had civilian housing when the base was in use. During the 50's the county rented the cottage bungalows out. Small wood structures that were built on pier blocks. They were sold off and taken down by the early 60's. Looks to me to be a 10-12 acre area that had maybe 60 small units. Lots of junk but the area has not been razed. Looks like I have a new area to fiddle around at.

• By mn90403
      Now, wouldn't it be nice to find something like this!

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2021/02/17/medieval-3/
    • By GB_Amateur
      I'm making an argument that in USA coin detecting, the Jefferson nickel is unusual compared to its peers.  Let's look at a bit of history.
      When coin designs change, it typically takes somewhere in the roughly 25-30 year timeframe for the previous design to disappear (not literally, but be down to say a few out of every 100 coins of a particular denomination).  Examples are the Buffalo-->Jefferson nickels (1938 design change), Wheat-->Memorial cents (1958-59 breakover).  But there are anomalies and when silver was removed from coinage (1964-65) it took less than 10 years for those coins to disappear.  The reason was because the bullion value exceded the face value of 90% silver coins.
      Coin collecting in general (i.e. simple) terms depends upon recognizing dates and mintmarks and knowing which are the scarce/rare/valuable ones.  Consider the 1938-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar.  There were 39 different date+mintmark WL Halves minted from 1934 through 1947 but only one carried extra value.  You had to know that date and mintmark and then look carefully at both sides of each WL Half to see if you found one.  And because of their low mintage, on average you had to seach through a lot of them to hit your goal.  That was too much trouble for most people.
      When silver coins became valuable, all a person had to do was look at a dime, quarter, or half dollar coin's edge because the new (worth less than face) clad showed an orange or dark gray tone due to its copper core.  (A keen eye could also recognize a difference the color of 90% silver vs. 25% nickel faces of a coin.)  That's why they disappeared from circulation so quickly, and with them went most of the fun from (cost free) coin collecting, other than possibly pennies and nickels.  Along with the low bullion value of clad coins they were also minted by the train car load.  Except for certain rare error coins (e.g. double dies) you weren't going to find any value by searching dates and mintmarks of coins minted after 1964.
      Wheat penny attrition more/less followed the historical/traditional 30 year disappearance pattern, so by around 1990 there wasn't much to find by searching pennies, either.  But the Jefferson nickel was a different story, because the design didn't change until 2004 (to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Louisiana Purchase and Lewis-and-Clark Expedition).  That's a run of 66 years without a design change.  An exception was the 1942-45 "War Nickels", each containing about 78% as much silver as a silver dime.  Their dark gray color gave them away and although they lasted longer than their 90% silver brethren they still were long gone by the the mid-80's.
      Fortunately metal detecting old sites doesn't suffer from the same problems just described for coin collecting as the 'loss' of coins from circulation is our gain!  However, if you're searching locations such as parks and schools which didn't exist (as public properties) before the 1970's then you are stuck with clad dimes, quarters, and halves.  However, Jefferson nickels that were dropped/lost in recent decades can still be among the key and semi-key date+mm specimens.
      Here are the top 9 scarcest Jefferson nickels (only date+mm's with mintages fewer than 10 million) and their mintages:

Another advantage of detecting Jefferson nickels is that some detectorists don't want to be bothered digging nickels because (among other things) their digital Target ID's fall in the same range as a lot of common aluminum trash.  For older areas this can mean finding Buffalo and Liberty nickels where silver coins have already been picked clean.