Steve Herschbach

Security Issue - Posting Photos From GPS Enabled Devices

I guess I have 4.0

Maybe there is no data as there is not an "EXIF info" choice

There is a "IPTC info" but when I click it, I get the message "Cannot load the plugin METADATA.DLL"

I'll find the newer version.

Thanks.

This information was seen as worth spreading around so Minelab has made it a Treasure talk blog post at http://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/posting-photos-from-gps-enabled-devices

Thanks Minelab for getting the word out!

I was in a computer/engineering class about 15 to 20 years ago. This was discusses in the class. However, printers were also discussed and when you print a picture, some of the information is encoded into the picture. Sorry I don't remember the entire amount of data. So for example you decide to print money. your computer and printer information will be on the image printed. Information like printer type, computer name, IP address etc. This way counterfeit money can be traced. This class did not go into detail due to security.

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 4:48 AM, klunker said:

My smartphone takes two 6V dry cell batteries and has a rotary dial and it's a real pain to stretch out the antenna and wind it back up every time I use it. You folks are going to force me to step into the digital age.  sorta wish I had a ten year old grand kid.

Love your work, Klunker  :smile:

Having begun my electronic hobby career fiddling with the things, I sometimes wonder how much a thermionic valve powered smartphone would weigh (including "A" and "B" dry cell batteries)

Okay, I'll get back to farming sheep now - - - sorry.

Thanks Steve and Hawkeye,

I had no idea about pics from a phone having a geotag, naive I know.

Thanks again Steve for an outstanding forum where info like this is shared.

Mop

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      That would be cool. I always wanted to try a D-Tex, Gardiner, Compass, Arado, etc... but was stuck on early Bounty Hunters and Whites. Always wondered if anyone actually used them in the parks around my area in the 70's
    • By Carolina
      I have had mine for a year now and it is the only detector I use now. My only thoughts are the 8x11 coil works great in the water but I wish he would offer a 12" coil for the damp,wet and wash. It also would help shrink those fields while relic hunting.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I was contacted out of the blue recently by Dimitar Gargov, owner and designer for Tarsacci metal detectors. I gave him a call and we were like two kids talking metal detectors! He explained some ideas he has for the future and I decided it was past time to set up a forum for Tarsacci owners to discuss their detectors. The MDT 8000 is a very high performance detector designed first for saltwater use but people are trying it for other purposes to good result. The bottom line is I have always supported competition especially as regards new technology. My main bias is I tend to only feature detectors with U.S. dealers and service. Yup, I am U.S. centric - sue me!  Tarsacci as a home brewed detector obviously meets that criteria. So here we go, a forum for Tarsacci and the MDT 8000 and whatever else Dimitar's brilliant mind brings us eventually.
      Yeah I am buttering him up because I think I have talked him into doing what he never does - appear on a forum to answer questions about his product. Don't expect to get deep proprietary info as it is.... well, it's proprietary! But I hope to see Dimitar here soon. I am sure you will give him all that friendly place to share information we are famous for. Thanks!
      Tarsacci MDT 8000 Data & Specifications

Tarsacci MDT 8000 metal detector at the beach
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This is pretty neat stuff, and I think the applications for prospectors and relic hunters are obvious...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140103-new-england-archaeology-lidar-science/
    • By fredmason
      another ---- question from me...
      Is there a "easy" way to move my google earth account from my old computer to my new computer.  I would like to keep the waypoints I have...just because I like them...
      remember, small words and simple directions for fred...
      thanks
      fred
    • By AUddicted
      The other day I pulled up Google Earth as usual but now the navigation and zoom controls and the tool bar icons are very tiny. And now my placemark labels are larger than normal. I cannot figure out how to reset it back.
      Has anyone else experienced this?