Did Minelab Multi-iq Obsolete Single Frequency?

Interesting debate, but I have a question. Since all the SMF machines (except Vanquish) can also run in single frequency modes, why would you need a single frequency machine, except something highly specialized, like tuned to meteorites or something? I understand maintaining SF machines for the low end market, but as Jeff mention, with the Vanquish 340 coming in under $200 US, The low end SF machines might have to be in the sub $100-$150 range to sell after a while. As I see it (and I could be wrong), if you have one of the four SMF machines (not Vanquish), you have mutiple SF machines and a SMF machine in one unit. What else would you need, except maybe a PI machine?

Thus far none of the SMF machines have included the high frequencies of the gold prospecting dedicated machines like the Gold Bug 2 at 71kHz, or even Nokta's offerings at 61kHz which is best for really fine gold and specimen gold.  While machines like the Nox and now possibly the Legend are still excellent prospecting detectors these really high frequency units have the slight edge on the tiniest gold.  They don't have the depth of the Nox in Multi-IQ on slightly bigger gold though and I suspect some people in worse soil types would benefit from the superior ground balance of a multi frequency unit with higher frequencies available.  I was hoping Nokta's Legend would incorporate a Gold mode that included a higher frequency but I guess they like Minelab didn't want to cut into their dedicated gold prospecting VLF detector range. 

Even if the really high frequency wasn't part of the multi frequency mix it'd be nice to have it as a single frequency option.  Perhaps with the Equinox 1000 although I think Minelab will have to leave something in the tank fort the Gold Monster 3000, they'll skip 2000 as Nokta used it on their Gold Finder 2000 😛

So my guess is the Gold Monster 3000 multi frequency unit might have single frequencies like 20kHz, 40khz, 60kHz, and 72kHz (just to beat the GB2's claim of the highest frequency) and multi frequency using whatever combination they think is best and have the single frequencies you can select for when you need them for a specific task or EMI mitigation.  I say the GM 3000 will be multi frequency as Minelab have said they're never making a single frequency VLF again, and unless the GM gets discontinued and they just leave prospecting to a multi purpose machine which is unlikely then there will be a SMF Gold Monster coming which would be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Interesting debate, but I have a question. Since all the SMF machines (except Vanquish) can also run in single frequency modes, why would you need a single frequency machine, except something highly specialized, like tuned to meteorites or something? I understand maintaining SF machines for the low end market, but as Jeff mention, with the Vanquish 340 coming in under $200 US, The low end SF machines might have to be in the sub $100-$150 range to sell after a while. As I see it (and I could be wrong), if you have one of the four SMF machines (not Vanquish), you have mutiple SF machines and a SMF machine in one unit. What else would you need, except maybe a PI machine?

I agree that if performance is everything (like Minelab "claims"), then I don't see the market for a SF machine except for extremely specialized types of detecting, old school detectorists (who'd probably buy secondhand, anyways) or the super-duper-budget-minded newcomers.