Chasing Miss Iffy

mn90403

Today I spent some time on the beach in a little bit of rain with the 800.  It was a pretty good day because there were 3 Osprey troop planes overhead and a couple of helicopters carrying the President.

Meanwhile on the beach there was next to nothing again with about 4 miles walked and only one little patch.  This patch was both at the beginning and the end of my hunting of about 3 hours.  I tried hard but the waves today were only about 1 ft and that was after a storm.  There weren't many surfers out but that is not what this post is about.

I found a few pennies and tried for better targets before returning and gridding the area.  I gridded by overlapping my swings to locate all possible targets and then I heard the pennies which were only 3-4 inches.  I had it on all metal and just kept digging and listening on Beach 1 standard but maybe 22 sensitivity.  Then I heard an iffy target.  I'm still learning so I dug.  I dug some more and then down at least 12 inches was the earring.  It was quite rusty but there is non-iron also.  At the bottom of the hole it was wet.  There was a layer there deposited from another time of bigger waves.  This sand layer had built up over it.  

Time to grid more.  I extended the 'patch' but overlapped my walking and went back over a hole I had dug a penny and it still had a target.  Down I went again to that same layer, 12-14 inches deep.  Out pops the other little earring.  A bit of copper on the end with the wire.  This is seeing real deep with a bit of a slower swing and knowledge that there is a layer.  Those were the interesting finds.  The other stuff is there too.

Mitchel

IMG_9361.JPG

IMG_9362.JPG

IMG_9363.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Oh, yeah!  I was wondering when we were going to start seeing this.  Chains not far behind.  Nice!

Here is an "iffy" I found too.  It was landlocked and not deep but an iffy signal nonetheless and my first legitimate find with the Equinox (brass earring and stem). I think the stem was making it iffy (fluctuate) even though it wasn't that deep.

20180309_173758.jpg

• Like 1