First 3 Hours With The Nox

strick

50 minutes ago, bado1 said:

Nice work! It's a fun machine.

I stated before that I've yet to be surprised by an iffy target being something good. You can tell when there is a good target surrounded by junk due to the machine's incredible recovery speed and laser beam separation. So far, if I get good tones from 90* and stable numbers (just a couple digit bounce) it's a target worthy of a dig. If the numbers bounce around a lot and I'm unable to get a "lock" or only good tones from just direction and a grunt from the other...it's junk every time.

I did something kinda fun the other day. I only had a very short time to hunt so I decided to cherry pick only the higher tones. So I disc"ed everything out below 22. I haven't ever dug a IHP here and didn't want to hear zinc. Wow, talk about quiet! I went home with a BIG handful of copper pennies, dimes, and quarters. No silver, unfortunately. It is amazing how many good targets you can dig when you don't waste time chasing the bad! You can cover so much ground with this machine due to it's speed. It's a cherry picking monster.

Dean

You are right Dean, one of my hunt modes is similar.  I run 2-tone, and move the break up to 20 or 22.  It isn't as quiet as you are getting by disc-ing the lower numbers, but with T1 set to 1... the copper and above targets just jump out at you.  I usually only do this when I am very pressed for time, but I agree, the Equinox is a cherry picker's dream. Tim.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bado1 said:

I did something kinda fun the other day. I only had a very short time to hunt so I decided to cherry pick only the higher tones. So I disc"ed everything out below 22. I haven't ever dug a IHP here and didn't want to hear zinc. Wow, talk about quiet!

The last couple hunts I have rejected everything from 21 on down except for 13. Park 1 but pushing sensitivity a bit too high probably at 21 or 22 so I am getting quite a bit of very high tone ferrous falsing in the high 30s. I have been half tempted to either block 39 and 40 or set them as a low tone ferrous. I do like hearing them though as 39 in particular is a “tell” that an item is ferrous so I may have to try the low tone experiment. I am basically cherry picking the copper penny/dime/quarter results and “hard 13” nickels. I am hitting some not particularly old but quite trashy locations and don’t want to get too ridiculous chasing targets and so far this is working pretty efficiently. If I get it fine tuned it will make a nice cherry picking mode for picnic type areas. Been running recovery speed at 7 or maybe 6. Getting very little trash fooling me at this point, especially in the high end. Probably more square tabs at 13 faking me out than anything else. The areas have been hunted but I can tell people have passed on the nickel range due to all the trash, so even going for real hard 13 hits only is still piling up the nickels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have been half tempted to either block 39 and 40 or set them as a low tone ferrous.

I tried this (the 39-40 disc) for the same reasons you mentioned Steve.  I was getting some broken tone in the mid-30's, but that may not have had anything to do with my disc pattern.  I will have to revisit this and do some more test hunting.  My preference would be to set a low tone section for that, but I will have to wait for my 800 to arrive to do that. ;). ... as iron is really the only (albeit minor) frustration with the Equinox... it seems to love deep iron.

Interesting comment on the sensitivity.  I usually run 20-22.  I will have to try lowering that a little to see if that helps the iron falses.  My standard cherry picking mode is in Park 1, Recovery 3 (max on E600) and IB usually 0, but sometimes 1 (which is 2 on E800).  I'm looking forward to being able to add a nickel section as well.  :)

Tim.

• Like 2

Running in the low 20s is a hard habit for me to brake because that is where I always tried to push my CTX and E-Trac to for maximum depth.. The Equinox sensitivity only goes to 25 max wher CTX/E-Trac is 30..       My point being that we are probably running the Equinox too hot which brings out the iron falsing..  This is something I’m going to start experimenting in the field with to see how deep I can reach running maybe around 17-18..  The FBS Detectors have the Auto + feature which keeps the Detector just under most iron falsing.. 

As far as cherry picking I will say that I have found Indian head pennies bounce as low as 18, so that is my low end of my cherry pick program I have set up on my User Mode.. I also include 12-13 for Nikels.. A couple of my older Nikels were 12 dominant in the ground..  I still have not dug a Nikel that has flashed 11 or 14 once centered..

Bryan

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

As far as cherry picking I will say that I have found Indian head pennies bounce as low as 18, so that is my low end of my cherry pick program I have set up on my User Mode.. I also include 12-13 for Nikels..

I agree and if hunting older areas would do the same.

• Like 1