Problem With Pinpointing

Propjob

Thanks  Alluminati,

I am finding that raising the coil after a target hit, gives me an idea if this is indeed the point, and to your and others point it is pretty close to the center . Unfortunately trash can mislead what I am hearing and seeing and this detector issue new challenge over the others.  Also on my last post I was wondering about recording target tones  characteristics and should have added ,,,,,,,record and post to the forum or you tube tube,,,, as a training vid.

jim

I remain disappointed with the Nox's pinpointing function.  The most irritating issue is "sticking" of which I experience two kinds:

1) The tone sometimes sticks and remains on even when the coil is raised high off the ground; switching back to search mode will reset. This is most likely to occur where there is a lot of iron junk nearby in the ground, so is triggered by some kind of overload.

2) The tone often sticks in one direction only; that is, if you do an "+" with only a target coin under the coil, the tone may work normally from the center to the left, but may stick from the center to the right, remaining on for a few feet in that direction. It's apparently a sensitivity to other objects in that direction; but, the problem doesn't exist for another detector, such as my Etrac, pinpointing the same object, even with a larger coil.

This second problem is irritating enough that I have considered sending the Nox 600 in for repair. Just not sure the problem is a malfunction rather than a bug, as in most other respects the detector works quite well.  

I think what you guys are describing is the effect of the Equinox having more then one amplification level for the pinpoint.

The Etrac would smoothly "ratchet down" on a target to shrink it down to about 1 1/2" to 2" wide (About 5cm), then it would stop there. The Equinox has this too, but also seems to have 2 or 3 distinct tiers of sensitivity.  I think when it's in one of the higher sensitivities it can get pulled off of a coin easier then before. It seems that finding clean ground beside your target to activate the pinpointer is more important then before.

I am somewhat indifferent to the pinpoint function, I can usually just "X" out the small cluster of beeps on deep targets and use that to center my hole rather then a tighter pinpoint. Although I will admit a tight pinpoint was one of my 3-step checks for deep non-ferrous targets at relic sites with the Etrac and Safari, time will tell, we usually adapt just fine.

Perhaps this will be the machine's quirk, on the other hand it is half the money of a Etrac while being faster, lighter and waterproof. Apparently the Equinox is update-able, so maybe they can change he pinpoint in firmware to be a little more traditional. The Etrac is also update-able but I'm not aware of them ever updating it.

• Like 4