Surgery Operation On TDI Bh Question.....

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Did anything come of all this?

From my workshop, no and yes.  I started playing with a 10" x 14" Garrett Infiinium coil which I got cheap on Ebay because the connector had been removed (which was good for me).  But then I got the (not so brilliant) idea of rebuilding the SuperPulse 150 coil which came with the TDI/SPP.  That part I did accomplish -- replacing the bottom shell (which was a sub-optimal design by Whites used multiple VLF coils) but also adding counterweight limestone chunks from a drink coaster.  I was able to get negative buoancy going that route, but it still wasn't a very good coil for the water.  Open coils are way better as Skullgolddiver (and others) have figured out.

I wanted the coil to use in a creek, but then I found out there was so much trash in the creek that I was better of using the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and its 5" coil (closed but neutral buoyant).  So that ended my experimentation.  After that I realized creek hunting was such a pain that I've hardly done it since.

If I were to do this over again (and assuming I had the need for a 8" open coil) I would try the Garrett coils again.  If someone (Skullgolddiver for example) already has a Sea Hunter 8 inch then just swapping connectors would be the first thing to try.  I think Carl (in the above liked thread) indicated that just might work.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An hour ago I found an old piece by another surgery done on one of my Excals....The old good 10" tornado 2...Before to buy a Garrett coil I'm now tempted to build my own creation...A bit of hard work preparing the shell,removing anything from the inside, but will be the best of the best to contain a mono winding and resistors...

I only need to learn how not to burn all of the stuff before even to turn on again the beast...🤣

AqZEsPaXV-Y

I know now, now I'll need to do the maths due to the wire section, inductance, resistance and windings number...But I've seen this video and I'm wondering if something is been missed before epoxy...(I mean in my case)...Without damping resistors?, Without anything more than 2 connectors, a cable and epoxy?...Seem to beautiful to be true...🤣

Did this guy make a vidio showing it in operation??

1 hour ago, Skullgolddiver said:

An hour ago I found an old piece by another surgery done on one of my Excals....The old good 10" tornado 2...Before to buy a Garrett coil I'm now tempted to build my own creation...A bit of hard work preparing the shell,removing anything from the inside, but will be the best of the best to contain a mono winding and resistors...

I only need to learn how not to burn all of the stuff before even to turn on again the beast...🤣

I may know a Headhunter Diver PI in very good condition with the whites coil,sold it years ago to a guy who i am sure didn't use it............

RR

31 minutes ago, Rivers rat said:

I may know a Headhunter Diver PI in very good condition with the whites coil,sold it years ago to a guy who i am sure didn't use it............

RR

Thanks for your input...

I'm however trying to make my own coil playing with a little of brain and attitude to diy works...

As I'm an 8" lover, I found really hard to buy something really good to dive unless closed design coils...

Now, inside an old Excalibur DD shell, I'll try to do the job from a scratch...The interesting part of the headhunter was the coil shape for me....

Also, I think 10" should be the all-round coil IF in the future I'll be able to accomplish making one...

1 minute ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Thanks for your input...

I'm however trying to make my own coil playing with a little of brain and attitude to diy works...

As I'm an 8" lover, I found really hard to buy something really good to dive unless closed design coils...

Now, inside an old Excalibur DD shell, I'll try to do the job from a scratch...The interesting part of the headhunter was the coil shape for me....

Also, I think 10" should be the all-round coil IF in the future I'll be able to accomplish making one...

I had a 7" shell but Alexandre has it now he was suppose to do me a 7" coil for PI thats before Fisher bought the project......

RR

50 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Did this guy make a vidio showing it in operation??

I'll check if the coil worked out...My doubt still remain on other stuff probably unnecessary on his board...

I always read of resistors and other things I don't even know right now as I'm not a technician...

1 hour ago, Skullgolddiver said:

leave the minelab coil alive. you better google for the coils shell- there are plenty of options. one example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-detector-8-coil-housing-shell-with-bracket-/174001245964