Knox 800 Error 41 Today!

Joe D.

I was out for a beach hunt this morning for about two hours! Hunted mainly the wet sand! On the return trip back down the beach, i switched to the upper dry sand!

Nothing i haven't done before!

After about ten minutes, i got an Err 41 and the unit shut off! Tried to turn on several times, and the error code would repeat and shut off! Did full reset a few times, but same thing! 

I still had two bars on the battery, so i didn't think it was a power problem! I thought maybe an overheat problem in the coil or control head! Went back to the surf to cool the coil off! And kept the control head in my shadow as i walked back down the beach to the stairs (about 8 minutes)! Tried turning the unit back on, and presto! It was working again! I detected another 5 or so minutes without any more issues!

OK all, any ideas for the issue! And what is Err 41?? I can't find a reference!     

Thanks!!👍👍

Per the Manual:

System error code 'Er' will be accompanied by an error code number shown on the Frequency Display. The detector will shut down 5 seconds after reporting a system error.

In the event of a system error, please follow these steps:

System error             
1. Restart the detector to determine if the error still remains.

2.  Confirm the coil is attached correctly.

3.  If the error persists, perform a factory reset by pressing and holding in the Power button for 5 seconds. 4. If the error still remains, please return the detector to your nearest Authorized Service Center for repair.

Send it in to be checked.  Minelab will take care of it.

I'm going to mess with it in morning! I will charge and see if the Er 41 is repeatable! But more than likely, i will still box it up for a trip home!  It's not like I've been killing it at the beach lately anyway!👍👍

Hey Tom,

Thanks for asking!

I went over it from top to bottom, after i got home and cleaned it up from the beach that day! I used it again last week in a fresh water hunt, and had no issues! I'm still of the opinion that it was a heat issue, but as of yet, i have no proof!  I plan on duplicating the conditions soon to see if it is repeatable! Than i will contact ML to send it back for a checkup! 

I've been reading so much good Nox info on the forum lately, that I'm "chomping at the bit" to hunt some more; even with this miserable heat here in SF!  But i will update here, if i find out anymore!👍👍

2 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Tom,

Thanks for asking! I went over it from top to bottom, after i got home and cleaned it up from the beach that day! I used it again last week in a fresh water hunt, and had no issues! I'm still of the opinion that it was a heat issue, but as of yet, i have no proof!  I plan on duplicating the conditions soon to see if it is repeatable! Than i will contact ML to send it back for a checkup! 

I've been reading so much good Knox info on the forum lately, that I'm "chomping at the bit" to hunt some more; even with this miserable heat here in SF!  But i will update here, if i find out anymore!👍👍

For what it is worth, hunted in Mexico for over three months with two different 800's. 90's everyday direct sun, midday. No issues. 

I hunt in Arizona where 90 degrees would be a nice cool day here in the summer. I've never had a problem with heat either with my Nox 800. 

Did you have a protective cover over the control box...one that covered the speaker vents in the back?

That happened to me while hunting on a hot day in the Florida keys.  Although mine didn’t read err 41, it started acting abnormally.  I removed the cover, let it cool down and all was back to normal.

After I got home, I cut the back out of my cover exposing the vents and haven’t had a problem since and I hunt in the Florida summer heat.

It could be the humidity, combined with with heat! Maybe the differential of taking it from A/C inside my house to outdoors! Sort of like the way my glasses fog up when i go outside! I did check the battery compartment for moisture after cleaning, but did not find any!

I Don't know! Unless ML will tell me what Er 41 is! I will email them and ask! I just figured they would just say send it in for a check!👍👍