V3 Update My Experience (day 2, 4 Rings!)

mn90403

The first night I went out with the update I went to a beach that I often detect as a test.  I could not complete the beach so I went back out again last night.  When I got down to the wet sand of the beach and started quickly walking toward my area the 'noise' was awful.  I had not changed any settings from less than 24 hours before but I could not keep a smooth sound at 23.  What had happened, had I 'imagined' the smoother, better quality sound?  (I thought I was going to have to retract all the good things I said about the update.)

I couldn't take it any more after about 15 minutes and had to lower the sensitivity.  I went down to 20 and it gave my head and ears a rest.  I detected a few targets but knew this was not how I wanted to detect on the way to my beach.  It would be too shallow.  I pushed the sensitivity back up and to my pleasant surprise the noise did not come back with the increased sensitivity.  As a matter of fact I could go up to 24 and stay smooth later in the hunt but for now it was stable and I was on the move.

The targets came slow while I walked fast to my spot. (I know I miss deep targets walking fast.)  When I got there I was disappointed also with the upside of my beach.  The waves had been small over the last 24 hours and targets were not really on the 'move' in my zone where I've found gold and silver already this year.  At the turnaround I had a few quarters and pennies but nothing else.  Then I decided to slowly walk back with the little waves on my left and the wet sand on the right.  I got a ring! (The cheap little stone ring.)  That made me relax.  I circled and found some other targets.  A pattern was developing.

This was a recent lost jewelry beach!  Small waves had grouped targets at the bottom of the hill at low tide.  I didn't go back up for the 1 hour back.  I stayed within 20 feet of the wet sand.  I got the steel ring. (10)  And then finally I got the lion's head ring.

That one was a surprise.  I had been digging 15s and 16s in the area with a nickel (13) here and there and this target was not deep and it crackled a bit.  When I looked in the scoop I saw this massive ring.  The band reminded me of silver.  It looked like it had been resized but the numbers didn't say silver.  When I got back at 3 AM I looked and still thought there was a chance it was silver.  It weighs .85 oz.  I researched it before I did this post and it is a titanium ring that sells for about $10.  Bummer.

IMG_8744.thumb.JPG.4c376a8c2345e62163ed88e64da94224.JPGIMG_8746.thumb.JPG.45b32c8fda4a0b5ddf3e5cb03d8660ed.JPG

I ended up with 4 rings.

IMG_8747.thumb.JPG.c5ca3549b0d476d9bd059c5f6c2646c6.JPG

and some other goodies including an old watch body.  It was a fun hunt even tho it was not very valuable.

IMG_8748.thumb.JPG.cc0bd2622d22ef7112a3df4fe655e34f.JPGIMG_8749.thumb.JPG.f4c782c93829e4422ce8b8c2698c90cb.JPG

I didn't have any more issues with the noise.  I went back over the area that had affected me in the beginning and it was smooth and I dug a target there.  Down about 3 inches was a black sand and gunk layer that also had a stink.  I don't know what caused it but it was no longer a problem.

Making an adjustment to the sensitivity and then adjusting back is something I'll remember for a future noisy session.

Mitchel

Congrats on your finds, Mitchell!  EMI is a strange beast!  It can come up all of a sudden, and be a downright nuisance!!  There’s hardly a park I can go to around me that doesn’t have some level of EMI....

HH,

Dan

Dan,

There are a couple of places that I still remember detecting with the SE Pro and it was unaffected by the EMI.  My other detectors can't duplicate that which were the 3030 and the Equinox.  One place is so bad I have avoid it with the Equinox.  Maybe now I should try the 4 kHz.

While detecting last night I didn't carry a cell phone.  I was wondering if the cell phones and that frequency caused the need for the 4 kHz?  I'll ask in the other thread.

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

When I looked in the scoop I saw this massive ring.  The band reminded me of silver.  It looked like it had be resized but the numbers didn't say silver.  When I got back at 3 AM I looked and still thought there was a chance it was silver.  It weighs .85 oz.  I researched it before I did this post and it is a titanium ring that sells for about $10.  Bummer.

So none of the rings was even silver?  That lion ring fooled me -- I'd swear that was silver.  What has become of people, buying all this cheapo metal jewelry?  "Tell her how much she means to you.  Nothing says 'love' like...titanium?"