Joe Obn In Detecting Accident, Prayers.

Hey Joe,

I heard about your accident out there in the water on Toms forum. I hope your okay. I’ve hunted before in the water in the winter, can be risky even for us old pros. Be careful out there, hope to see you back soon!

Aaron

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

I found Joe's explanation of the accident on friendly forum! Here is a screen shot!!

Glad your ok Joe!!👍👍

20210121_035737.jpg

3 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Hello all,

I found Joe's explanation of the accident on friendly forum! Here is a screen shot!!

Glad your ok Joe!!👍👍

20210121_035737.jpg

I am glad Joe's on the mend. I was just thinking about him yesterday. Thanks for posting that. Sometimes no news is good news. I was worried when he didn't post anywhere, but it sounds like he is resting and in good spirits. Great news!

9 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I am glad Joe's on the mend. I was just thinking about him yesterday. Thanks for posting that. Sometimes no news is good news. I was worried when he didn't post anywhere, but it sounds like he is resting and in good spirits. Great news!

You can't keep a good man down! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know, I did contact Joe and he is fine. He is taking a breather to catch up, and wanted to pass on his thanks to everyone for the well wishes. He will be back, but for now he needs time to heal, so let's give him space for that. As I say, he is fine now.

Steve H

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:41 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Just to let everyone know, I did contact Joe and he is fine. He is taking a breather to catch up, and wanted to pass on his thanks to everyone for the well wishes. He will be back, but for now he needs time to heal, so let's give him space for that. As I say, he is fine now.

Steve H

Many Thanks Steve and all of my fellow Pirates for the Prays and well Wishes!

Just a update, it is now one month since the accident Jan 12th. I was waiting to post here on the one month mark just to show how fast and well my recovery has been. (Thank You lord and all of my friends for the prays!) I've had many test, several MIR's and other scans. All levels and scans came back good. No damage from the hypothermia, shock and low blood levels. I feel great and just about have my stamina back and my rotary cup tear feeling much better.. I was out the other day with the AQ playing around in the wetsand, can't wait to get back in the water, which maybe this summer.

As far as what happened, Joe D's post above covers the details....

What saved me, The Good Lord and my Floating sifter. I had a Doning tube (which bleeds out the air from my drysuit) allowing water cold water (slowly) into my drysuit. If not for being able to keep my upper body (head) in the Sifter I would have slowly went chest/head under. And Thank God for the lady who heard my cry and the rescue team that quickly arrived. 

I did get all of my equipment back, the rescue squad was very kind in dropping all by my home the day after. I have a list of a few who where involved in my recover, I do have plans on thanking each in person.  

Many lessons learned, first take a hunting partner always. Stay out of the water once it goes below 50F. Trash the Artic Pro boots, Not safe. Stay away from beach's that have heavy equipment moving sand, dredging. Like mentioned, have a Boaters safety whistle.  And wear a manual inflate life vest when hunting deep.

I still have video of the accident but going to wait to watch. Maybe next winter when I get the urge to go out...😬

Looking forwards, I will be taking off some time. Maybe by summer I can slip back into the water. I would be out there now but family obligations have kicked in so the beach will have to wait. Excited, Yes I am.. Being doing research the past week and Found a right way (path way to the water) to a spot that is very hard to get to .... I know holds treasure. 

Video of the spot that almost did me in...

I have started work on the batteries, I hope to have a few done in the next week. Once close to finished I'll start reaching out to all who have asked. Thank you for your patients. 

Thank you Joe.  I hadn't been reading this thread.  I'm glad now to see the post and understand what happened.  There will still be a few rings waiting for you I suspect.  I like your new 'rules' and perhaps you can run a lottery for partners!

Any partner of yours should pay the daily expenses and perhaps a training fee.

Mitchel

11 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

As far as what happened, Joe D's post above covers the details....

Glad you're back to (almost) 100%, Joe.  I don't hunt in the water but I enjoy reading all of your finds posts (and those of others, for that matter).  I look forward to more of those when you get back at it, but in the meantime it's good to read you still have the positive, enthusiastic attitude you've always displayed here on this site.

There's a lesson for me, too.  Even the most experienced can encounter life-threatening situations.  I occasionally go into the mountains and deserts (by myself sometimes) and taking the proper preparatory steps can make a huge difference.  I'll take that even more seriously from now on.