** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

It's obvious that things are not going well for these guys. Having the actual entries here I know the ending. Of course with mining, sometimes you get lucky. And sometimes you go broke. 

May 24   2002     Part One

We had a pretty good cleanup this morning with .6 ounces in the pan. We got an early start with Vern, Jim, and I going up to dig and Jacob staying down at camp. Our cut into the base of the mountain is quite wide now and we have seen some examples of rolling bedrock. Due to all the upheaval in this entire area bedrock is illusive. One day you encounter it and the next it has dived deeper. Without the necessary heavy equipment and permits we are waiting for the work continues to be slow but steady. Fortunately, the weather has remained on the cool side. At the end of the day we washed 14 yards of gravel. 

TO BE CONTINUED .............

May 24   2002     Part Two     Jacob Unwinds A Tale

When we got back to camp Jacob was working on a good supper for the crew. He told us he was quite proud of the way we were working and our determined attitudes. He said that is exactly what it takes to be a gold miner. He served up hash with hot water cornbread and his own baked beans from a special recipe. I’m telling you that this was one heck of a good supper for a tired and hungry crew.

After we ate he broke out some beer and a bottle of Bushmills. It seemed like he was in a pretty good mood and felt like talking. He wasn’t always like that. Sometimes he was very quiet and introspective. We knew when to leave him alone and always let him decide when he wanted to have a good talk with us. Tonight, as we stoked up the campfire and sipped some good Irish whisky, he asked us if we wanted to hear a true story. A story that only the crew from 1937 had been told. I said yes, of course we do. So he began to tell us what he said was a true tale that he had experienced right here where we were sitting.

TO BE CNTINUED .................

May 24   2002     Part Three

Jacob said it was back in late May in the 1937 mining season when it all happened. The crew had decided to go into town to blow off steam but Jacob decided to stay at camp. He remembered it being a cold night and he had stoked up a fairly big campfire and was sipping whisky and thinking about the previous season. Before he went any further he looked at the three of us sitting around the fire with him and asked if we had ever heard any strange sounds around camp since we had arrived. We shook our heads no. He nodded and went on with the story.

According to him he had heard voices coming down the mountain along the  side of the creek near camp. Jacob said the sounds got his attention and he grabbed his Thompson and got out of the campfire light and hid in a dark spot outside of camp. He kept real still as two figures started to come into view. They were jabbering away about gold and mining and both of them were drinking from whisky bottles and laughing as they came into camp. Jacob went on to say that something about them didn’t look right and he could see right through them at times. He stood up to get a better look and realized it was Jed and Whisky Jack as sure as could be.

When Jacob hollered out to them he said they looked him dead in the face with cold stares and it made his skin crawl. He said he was so shocked he could hardly get any words to come out of his mouth. Then he said the two of them kind of floated off the ground a few feet and drifted slowly up the mountain until they were out of sight. Then Jacob looked at us and said this was not a lie but as true as true could ever be so help him. He told us that he expected to see them again out here one night. He didn’t exactly know why but just had one of his feelings. 

TO BE CONTINUED ...................

38 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

May 24   2002     Part Three

Jacob said it was back in late May in the 1937 mining season when it all happened. The crew had decided to go into town to blow off steam but Jacob decided to stay at camp. He remembered it being a cold night and he had stoked up a fairly big campfire and was sipping whisky and thinking about the previous season. Before he went any further he looked at the three of us sitting around the fire with him and asked if we had ever heard any strange sounds around camp since we had arrived. We shook our heads no. He nodded and went on with the story.

According to him he had heard voices coming down the mountain along the  side of the creek near camp. Jacob said the sounds got his attention and he grabbed his Thompson and got out of the campfire light and hid in a dark spot outside of camp. He kept real still as two figures started to come into view. They were jabbering away about gold and mining and both of them were drinking from whisky bottles and laughing as they came into camp. Jacob went on to say that something about them didn’t look right and he could see right through them at times. He stood up to get a better look and realized it was Jed and Whisky Jack as sure as could be.

When Jacob hollered out to them he said they looked him dead in the face with cold stares and it made his skin crawl. He said he was so shocked he could hardly get any words to come out of his mouth. Then he said the two of them kind of floated off the ground a few feet and drifted slowly up the mountain until they were out of sight. Then Jacob looked at us and said this was not a lie but as true as true could ever be so help him. He told us that he expected to see them again out here one night. He didn’t exactly know why but just had one of his feelings. 

TO BE CONTINUED ...................

Yep, this was a real story from him and he was very serious as I recall. I have one to tell along this same line tomorrow. Cheers.

21 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Yep, this was a real story from him and he was very serious as I recall. I have one to tell along this same line tomorrow. Cheers.

So here is my experience that relates to this story that Jacob told us back in 2002. Fast forward 10 yrs. One of my partners & myself were camped in the same place. We had been coducting grab sample assays on one of the claims along the creek. We were sitting outside the tents drinking a beer and discussing the day's events. It was around 10:00 PM and there was a fire ban in place because it had been a dry Summer as usual. There was a quarter moon and we had several battery powered lanterns hung up for light but outside of camp it was nearly pitch dark. 

The two of us were talking when suddenly my partner alerted to something. I asked him what was up and he told me he heard someone talking in the trees just 40 ft outside of camp. I stopped talking and listened. I heard the voices as well but the words were unintelligible. They would stop for a few seconds & then start up again. We didn't see anyone and as far as we knew there was no one around this area but the two of us. 

After a few minutes of this we both got up and shined flashlights in the area of the voices and asked if anyone was there. No reply. So we slowly walked over in that direction with our sidearms at the ready just in case. Then it happened. There were two figures of men that were glowing slightly against the blackness of the forest. At times the figures were transparent.They were talking quietly to each other and paid us no mind. For the life of me I could not make out anything they were saying and the two figures began to drift north up the mountain several feet off the ground. We both just stared at them completely dumbfounded and unable to speak. After about 15 seconds or so they were out of our sight. We tried to follow them but they both had vanished in the night. I will never forget that experience on the claims and thankfully have a witness who saw what I saw and heard what I heard. Otherwise, I may not believe what had happened out there. That's my story & it's as real as real gets.

6 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

So here is my experience that relates to this story that Jacob told us back in 2002. Fast forward 10 yrs. One of my partners & myself were camped in the same place. We had been coducting grab sample assays on one of the claims along the creek. We were sitting outside the tents drinking a beer and discussing the day's events. It was around 10:00 PM and there was a fire ban in place because it had been a dry Summer as usual. There was a quarter moon and we had several battery powered lanterns hung up for light but outside of camp it was nearly pitch dark. 

The two of us were talking when suddenly my partner alerted to something. I asked him what was up and he told me he heard someone talking in the trees just 40 ft outside of camp. I stopped talking and listened. I heard the voices as well but the words were unintelligible. They would stop for a few seconds & then start up again. We didn't see anyone and as far as we knew there was no one around this area but the two of us. 

After a few minutes of this we both got up and shined flashlights in the area of the voices and asked if anyone was there. No reply. So we slowly walked over in that direction with our sidearms at the ready just in case. Then it happened. There were two figures of men that were glowing slightly against the blackness of the forest. At times the figures were transparent.They were talking quietly to each other and paid us no mind. For the life of me I could not make out anything they were saying and the two figures began to drift north up the mountain several feet off the ground. We both just stared at them completely dumbfounded and unable to speak. After about 15 seconds or so they were out of our sight. We tried to follow them but they both had vanished in the night. I will never forget that experience on the claims and thankfully have a witness who saw what I saw and heard what I heard. Otherwise, I may not believe what had happened out there. That's my story & it's as real as real gets.

I am going to try to find some pictures of that camp and the area and post them here.

3 hours ago, dig4gold said:

Did Jacob ever mention or talk to you about the Sharman from back in the day?

D4G

No. He usually didn't like to talk much about the old crew and I left it up to him. Eventually, I will write about when & how he passed away. He was one of a kind from another era.

19 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

No. He usually didn't like to talk much about the old crew and I left it up to him. Eventually, I will write about when & how he passed away. He was one of a kind from another era.

I have to admit, I have been thinking about how long he spent with you before he passed away & his cause of death. Weather from just old age complications or otherwise.

D4G