** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

1 hour ago, Bedrocker said:

Saboteurs in '02? I would have loved to have been with you guys and riding shotgun.

Yes, there are people who don't like mining as we will see.

Seeing as it has been a while since I have had a chance to post entries from the 1950 mining journal of Jack Murphy I am going to put it all up on the site from the beginning & it will include the latest entry at the end. It isn't all that long & that way the followers of this part of the mining operation will have a chance to re-read the past entries & refresh their memories. My apologies for getting so far behind on this part of the story but I have had to do some traveling involving various projects including the story of my grandfather's tale of the lost gold shipment. Cheers. 

LOST GOLD AT THE DEAD MAN’S MINE

THE 1950’s ERA

This log is based on mining crew records and stories about the gold claims known as The Dead Man’s Mine during a period of exploration and mining from 1950 to 1959. The work was not continuous and some of the crew members changed over the years. At the request of remaining relatives of the old crew members, names have been changed.This record of mining activities comes from claim owner Jack Murphy and two people who leased the claim from him during this period and also includes additional information based on several old reports and stories given to me by local historians. 

April 25   1950

Attempting to re-open an old mine shaft on the north claim. It is flooded out and there are some safety concerns. Historical data indicates rich gold  deposits partially mined in 1936 but more deposits remaining at sloped bedrock to dropped zone bedrock from main shaft depth of 56 ft. Depth of deposit not yet known but according to geologist may be 20 - 50 ft lower than shaft bottom. Crew is assembling today and tomorrow with camp being set up on site. I was told that several of the 1936 and 1937 crew members were killed over gold here. This was confirmed to me by state geologist who had input in the previous work. 

April 26   1950

The last of the crew arrived today with the diesel pump which was taken up to the shaft via the old mining road. We have pumped out the mainshaft.  We are digging a sump area 12 feet below the old level to manage water issues if required. We needed to blast the bedrock to get below the 56 ft level. The actual shaft is 36 ft in depth with a horseshoe drift dropping the level to 56 ft and ending nearly beside but 20 ft lower than the mainshaft where an area of raised bedrock exists. This is the area of the 1936 strike and is nearly against the western side of the fault. According to the state geologist maps bedrock should drop away to the north and south of the mainshaft bottom at some point. The mainshaft itself is sitting just 20 ft west of the fault. It is our intention to drift along the raised bedrock in a northward heading staying close to the fault. There may be gold on the unexplored raised bedrock area but it is our understanding that large deposits may exist in the lower unraised levels where the main deposit was not disturbed. A significant discovery may occur anywhere along the raised areas but more likely at dropped depths going down from 56 ft to 110 ft.

April 27   1950

We were delayed today dealing with some water in the lower drift near the 56 ft level. We got our pump in place and have sent the water up and out. The mainshaft will need some additional timbering in certain areas before it's safe for the crew. The drift also needs work. I figure at least a week or 10 days before it is done. We are taking timber from the nearby trees and sawing them to width and length. I think the ground water will dry up some later in the season. For now we are working in heavy ground.   

April 28   1950

Some of the crew's families visited the project this morning. We have now fenced off the entire area for safety. Mucking and light bracing has begun in the drift. This will be a lengthy process. While mucking operations are advancing I am panning the material being removed and seeing some signs of gold deposits. This is good news and has buoyed the spirits of all involved. We are employing a mechanical winch to remove material from the drift. Funds are tight and we are hopeful of our first gold in the next 10 days. Everyone is hard at work with their designated jobs and expecting good results. 

April 29   1950

Late yesterday we experienced a near tragedy when a small portion of the drift collapsed near the opening at the bottom of the mainshaft. This is the 36 ft level and is unstable. There were two crew members further down the drift to the north. The ground is heavy and there was a fracture of the tunnel ceiling just past the entrance. All hands were busy shoveling out the caved material from the shaft side and the two crew members dug away from the north side. We were able to get it open fairly quickly and there were no injuries. This just serves to register the potential danger here with all the crew. We are presently working at taking a second look at the walls and ceiling of the drift and may need to use more timber in any suspect areas. The progress is slow. We are also pushing fresh air into the drift.The last thing I want to do is make a trip to a crew member’s home to deliver tragic news.   

May 2   1950

Slow progress continues on the drift. We’ve had to use the pump several times but incoming water has begun to slow some. We are pumping the water into a holding pond formed by a low lying area. We will use this water to wash gravel once we begin to mine. The mucking and tunnel bracing is nearly half completed. Traces of gold are showing in the extracted material so we are confident of finding a deposit somewhere further past the end of the old workings. 

May 8   1950

We have completed the rehab of the mainshaft and drift. We are opening a new tunnel extending northward along bedrock near the fault. A drifting drill is employed where the rock is heavy and solid. We are calling this Drift #2. I expect to make some good advances into the gravels in this area. I also expect the bedrock to drop away at some point according to the geology reports. If this happens we will need to excavate a shaft down to find true bedrock and an expected jackpot. 

May 9   1950

The drift is now well underway to the northerly direction. We are keeping a uniform tunnel being 6 ft in width and 6 ft in height. To date Drift 2 is well timbered and stable. We have made 5 ft of headway. There has been nearly 11 tonnes of material removed with nearly a quarter of it being heavy stone 6 to 10 inches in size. Gravels were washed and some light gold was extracted although it failed to pay for the work done to remove it. We are working the bedrock up to 6 ft above of gravel and rock in search of the heavy coarse gold we believe is in this channel. The old workings were completely mucked and washed providing nearly one ounce of gold. That was the remnants of the big strike of 1936. The Stevens brothers crew did not miss much and left us little. 

May 10   1950

We advanced another 4 ft north and are against very heavy ground. The work is slow and requires timber support. Not much in gold values to speak of at this point. I have talked with the geologist and he tells me we are on the correct course of action here. The gold may be dispersed in widely scattered deposits from what I understand. Drifting and crosscutting the channel is costing about $29 /ft and the long hole drilling another $1.05/ft. When I am able to show some good values there will be participation by several small investors in the project. The investment has to be justified. We are now using air lines of 3 inch in size as well as vent lines of 10 inch in size. 

May 15   1950

Seeing as we are still not sure of any definite investors coming into the project I have applied to borrow the sum of $10,000 from the Sacramento Deposit Bank.

Previous exploration now seems to conclude that the body of the blue Neocene gravels being sought runs along the fault and is contained in this location. At great cost, I have brought in equipment to conduct some churn drill exploration in the northerly ground. I was able to secure a second mortgage on my house for immediate funds which are needed. I am very confident of the success of the drill reports. We continue drifting along the 56 ft area and have made slow progress.

May 19   1950 

The churn drill holes.

The first hole was drilled 50 ft north of the portal. Blue gravel was struck at 68 ft and remained in blue gravel until reaching bedrock at 110 ft. A second drill hole was placed 50 ft north of  #1 hole. This hole also struck the blue gravel at 75 ft but was stopped out at 85 ft due to large boulders. A third hole was drilled 50 ft west of the portal and reached a depth of 100 ft before being stopped out before reaching bedrock. There was no blue gravel encountered in hole #3. This seems to indicate the deposit is located in close proximity to the fault on its westerly side. Due to the expense and failing to reach bedrock in the 2nd and 3rd attempts I have decided to cease drilling in order to retain as much capital as possible. We will evaluate the churn drill values on site. 

Cost per foot of drifting       $36

Miner’s daily wage                19

Hoistman’s daily wage          15

Geologist                               95

May 21   1950

From the geologist  –  For 800 ft in the area along the west fault from the original portal and going in a northerly direction in the channel show good potential for significant pay streaks.

Gold values per cubic yard from drill samples

#3851     9.3 cents

#3852    1.12

#3853     22.2 cents

#3854     93.4 cents

#3855      4.6  cents

May 22   1950

We have advanced the drift on the northerly direction 42 ft. Careful examination of gravels found on or near bedrock (within 6 ft) of the bedrock contact reveal no values whatsoever. This is the first time such occurrence has been noted.

The possibility of entering an area some 150 ft farther along the present course from the surface is being considered as it appears that bedrock may lie nearer the surface than originally suspected. 

On the subject of the loan application, I have heard back from the bank and they advise I am unable to secure the funds requested without putting up sufficient collateral. I am looking into this as well as contacting several potential investors who previously had shown interest in the project. If sufficient funds are not procured I may need to terminate the project soon.  

May 23   1950

To date we have processed 150 yards. The gold value is $102. Drifting continues along the bottom of the gravel channel. One raise has been driven upward 20 ft into the gravel in search of better sorted strata that might carry higher gold values. Most of the gravel thus far is poorly sorted and contains abundant clay and decomposed volcanic rocks. The gold content is extremely fine grained and ranges from a trace to as much as $10 but is averaging less than $1 per yard.

May 25   1950

I am switching the current operation from drifting of bedrock to raising in the channel gravels. I have found that the fine, silty material immediately overlying the bedrock is nearly barron in gold but the cleaner quartz gravels higher in the channel carry much higher gold values. I have decided to put up four raises to test these gravels. The raises will be 4’ by 4’ and 20 ft long at an angle of 45 degrees to vertical and timbered solid. Because of the timbering the estimated cost will exceed the previous expense budget. However, I remain confident of good values to be found. I am also awaiting the decisions to invest in the project by several interested parties. 

May 29   1950

The mine has been shut down for several days.The entire crew including myself has become sick with some kind of influenza. Only the watchman, who is tending to the mine pumps, has been out working on the property. The rest remain in camp and in rough shape. I have been too ill to attempt

any work for more than a few minutes. The estimated cost of raising is $990 and may be our last attempt to mine depending on results. 

June 6   1950

Most of the crew has gotten back to work. The first raise shows consistent values in the gravels above bedrock. The raise holds promise and there is renewed investor interest in the project although there has been no formal commitment. We are proceeding with steady work. 

June 13   1950

Having completed just two of the raises above bedrock we have secured the confidence of one interested party who has now agreed to fund a continuation of our northward drift along the 56 ft level. Drifting in the old channel just 12 ft north of our previous stoppage we have hit an area of what I believe will prove out as sizable tonnage. Several samples have indicated a gold content of $8.50/cubic yard. The gold there consists mainly of colors retained on a 20 mesh screen. We will push on and we now believe in the possibility of a massive deposit that may lie deeper as dropped bedrock is encountered. The mood of the crew is high. 

June 15   1950

We continue to advance the drift northward and making another 8 ft of headway in the last two days. Gold values have been spotty but still averaging rich assays. We have not seen any sign of sloping or dropped bedrock to date. I still remain very confident that the big strike awaits. For now, I have abandoned the plan for two additional raises into the quartz zone as it would take needed funds from the main plan. Heavy timbering has been needed in this area which has added some expense to the projected cost. There is little to do at this point other than continue north along the 56 ft level collecting gold as we go.

June 17   1950

We suffered a partial collapse of the drift yesterday and are re timbering one section. There was no danger to the crew. The assays have faded once again to poor. I still have the option to do two more raises into the quartz zone if needed. The investor we have is leaving this decision up to me but is in this venture for the same reason we are, which is a sizable strike. That, I believe, will only occur on a drop zone of the bedrock which remains elusive.

June 20   1950

Particularly interesting in the area of consideration is a capping of rhyolitic boulders and debris resting conformably on bedrock and overlain by the gravels containing values. This capping, as opposed to andesitic flows common to the area, indicates that gravel deposition in the channel flows common to the area, indicates that gravel deposition in the channel occurred in Eocene geology, measurably increasing the property’s potential. With due regard to sound mining practice and possible bedrock contour fluctuations, we are presently making every reasonable effort to bring our working level into accord with gravel elevations and to begin complete analytical washing operations.  

June 22   1950

We have made another 25 ft of headway in the drift. At the gravel-bedrock contact it appears that the drift is indeed cutting a Tertiary blue channel. A somewhat muddy condition in the channel, together with the existence of a sand bar in the drift back indicate that we are presently cutting benches near the inside curve of the old channel. 

There were 30 yards of material washed with a recovery of only ⅛ ounce of gold. Values contained in the gravels occur evenly distributed with no unusual concentrations on or about bedrock, clearly indicating that the bench gravels at our current position were not in the main flow or trough of the channel where more abundant water would have concentrated the values near bedrock.

Bedrock conditions appear very favorable, with the constant variance in elevation of five to six feet over very short distances, with many pockets, crevices, etc. 

June 25   1950

As we are drifting northward we are now seeing bedrock beginning to  rise above the 56 ft level and are now at 48 ft. This is a bit of a surprise to me and I have not talked with our geologist as of the time of this entry. The gold values have remained low. I have been expecting the opposite to occur with a sudden deep drop in bedrock leading to rich values. We will continue to drift and are now in all or nothing mode. I have not discussed this new occurrence with the investor but will be meeting with him tomorrow. 

June 28   1950

After meeting with our investor we have been advised that he will terminate all funding of the project on July 1 unless we have proven ground that will pay for the work being done as well as show a profit. We have advanced the drift and the bedrock has continued to rise to the 44 ft level and we are only seeing trace amounts of gold. We will push on for a few more days and if we fail to hit a streak I may attempt to fund another week from my own funds. Our geologist still believes a payday awaits us if we are able to continue. Spirits in camp are low but no one is ready to quit.

July 2   1950

I was unable to talk the investor into continuing to fund the project. There is still some hope that we may find the drop in bedrock and I am using the last of my personal money to continue work. The bedrock has now begun to slope downward once again and we are all hopeful this is what we have been working so hard for. I have also been able to secure a loan from the bank equal to 50% of my truck’s value. This combined with the last of my personal funds may keep us afloat for several more weeks which I feel is more than enough time to achieve success. The geologist has gone missing on the project and I have been unable to contact him for further advice. 

July 3   1950

We continue to follow the bedrock on a gentle downward slope and are washing poorly paying gravel. I have still had no luck in making further contact with the geologist and now assume he has abandoned the project. In camp tonight the mood of the crew was low but no one has left. It appears the men are as stubborn as I am and will work until we find our jackpot or run out of money.

July 6   1950

The gravel continues to lack value. The sloping bedrock has flattened out and what gravel layer exists is thin and barren of gold. I have finally made contact with the geologist and he will be at the mine tomorrow to give his evaluation of the project.

July 8   1950

After consulting with the geologist yesterday I am still convinced we will find a glory hole in the bedrock somewhere to the north of our current drifting. I have enough funds to continue mining and exploring for another week. The gravel is still not paying for the work but the slope is declining gently to the northwest away from the fault. 

July 12   1950

From the geologist now on site : 

An inspection was made on the mine July 11 accompanied by project leader Jack Murphy. At the time of the inspection the operator and miners were in the process of transporting a mucking machine through the channel. The operator was advised on the timbering required. The drift has now broken into blue gravel which is supposed to be a favorable condition for gold values.

I instructed Mr Murphy on the procedure of keeping records on the number of ore cars and the amount of gold recovered. I am requesting that this information be recorded in the operator's monthly report. The crew now consists of a hoist man, two miners, and the supervisor Mr Murphy. I intend to stay on the project site for the next few days or possibly weeks until a determination can be made of the feasibility of continuance of this project. 

June 2   2002     Part One     Gold Cleanups And Hooligans

We got up to the the mine site early while Jacob started the gold cleanup. When Vern was hiking up the mountain to start the pump he was confronted by three men who stopped him and started asking questions. Jim and I heard the air horn he carried signal three rapid blasts which meant trouble. We hustled up the mountain as fast as we could. I had my 9 MM semi auto on me and Jim always carried a 44 revolver.

When we got up to where Vern was located we could see he was in a heated argument with three middle aged men. They did not look to be armed. I asked what all the ruckus was about. Vern said they were looking for trouble and were about to get it in spades. Now Vern is the young guy in the crew and full of vinegar. I tried to calm the situation down before things got out of hand.

I asked the men what the trouble was. They wanted to know what we were doing on the mountain and why we had equipment to dig up the earth and make a mess. I calmly explained that we were permitted and bonded miners who were here to work and had no intention of destroying the beauty of the area. I also explained to them that when we had finished our work for the season the ground would be put back in good shape and they should not worry.

Vern chimed in that these were probably the scum who had cut our water line. The three of them would not look him in the eye and I suspected he may be right. However, we would not be able to prove that and my intention was to alleviate any pending trouble. I did warn them that our activities were legal and any attempt to sabotage or create trouble for our project would be met with the law. With that they trudged away muttering to each other. Vern said wait until Jacob hears about this and that he was right, trouble was starting already.

TO BE CONTINUED .....................

June 2   2002     Part Two

We broke for lunch around 1:00 PM and headed back to camp. Jacob had the gold all cleaned and weighed. There were 2.7 ounces. Then we told him about what had happened earlier. To say he was angry would be an understatement. He was saying that now the trouble had started and there would be hooligans all over the mountain watching us and stealing as well. He was really concerned. He had lived through things like that before and we all started to get worried. 

Vern never carried a sidearm and Jacob brought it up immediately saying he must start wearing one. Jim had a really nice 357 and lent it to him. Then Jacob decided we needed to move our camp up to the dig site for security. It would be less convenient but safer all the way around. So we spent the rest of the day moving camp which took us until dark. 

Unfortunately, the water line ran way up the mountain to the pump. Jacob recommended that we take turns on night watch to guard that area for a few days to make sure nobody messed with anything. It would also provide security for the camp in case of anyone coming down the mountain from the north. So I decided to take the first watch. I didn’t dare mention any of this to my wife who was at home and already worried about the crew’s safety. I headed up the mountain to find a good lookout area but the night guard would need to patrol up and down at times because one watchman couldn’t see everything from one spot. This was becoming dangerous.

TO BE CONTINUED ................

June 2   2002     Part Three

I sat in a good hiding spot up near where the pump was placed. There was a clear view of the little trail we used heading southeast down the mountain towards the dig site. It was around 11:00 PM when I heard some voices kind of muttering. They sounded like they were coming from higher up the mountain. Sure enough, three men slowly came into view. They were carrying flashlights and looking around the area. One of them was laughing and I heard him say something like wait until they come up here tomorrow and see what happened to their pump and water line. That was all I needed to hear. I was hidden behind a big pine tree just 30 feet or so from the pump they were looking at. I jumped out of my hiding place and confronted them.

They jumped back with surprise and it was obvious that they weren’t expecting to encounter a night watchman out here in the remote area of the mountain. I hollered out and demanded to know what they were up to. Without one word the cowards turned tail and ran up the mountain.  

I had a walkie talkie with me and immediately radioed camp to let them know what had just happened.  Vern said he was going to hide just outside of camp and watch it just in case they came down that way. Then I found myself a new spot to sit and wait to see if they were stupid enough to come back.

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

40 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

June 2   2002     Part Three

I sat in a good hiding spot up near where the pump was placed. There was a clear view of the little trail we used heading southeast down the mountain towards the dig site. It was around 11:00 PM when I heard some voices kind of muttering. They sounded like they were coming from higher up the mountain. Sure enough, three men slowly came into view. They were carrying flashlights and looking around the area. One of them was laughing and I heard him say something like wait until they come up here tomorrow and see what happened to their pump and water line. That was all I needed to hear. I was hidden behind a big pine tree just 30 feet or so from the pump they were looking at. I jumped out of my hiding place and confronted them.

They jumped back with surprise and it was obvious that they weren’t expecting to encounter a night watchman out here in the remote area of the mountain. I hollered out and demanded to know what they were up to. Without one word the cowards turned tail and ran up the mountain.  

I had a walkie talkie with me and immediately radioed camp to let them know what had just happened.  Vern said he was going to hide just outside of camp and watch it just in case they came down that way. Then I found myself a new spot to sit and wait to see if they were stupid enough to come back.

TO BE CONTINUED ..............

You didn't learn much from Jed and Sarge lol.

2 hours ago, Bedrocker said:

You didn't learn much from Jed and Sarge lol.

I'm afraid to think what Jacob would have done that night if he had been sitting up there with that old Thompson machine gun he lugged around.

12 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

I'm afraid to think what Jacob would have done that night if he had been sitting up there with that old Thompson machine gun he lugged around.

I think for sure that the sound of the Thompson firing would have woken up you guys in camp. Only question is would Jacob have fired warning shots or simply eliminated the threat.

I realize you're position of course. In the 1930's it was a completely different world. In Jed's days probably nobody would have gone looking for three guys that never returned home. In 2002 it's a good chance those three guys had family members that would have filed a missing persons report. And if people knew what the three guys were up to and where, then you and your mining crew could really have a problem on your hands. 

So you would have to be digging a deep hole in the middle of the night and make it look really good too lol. You would probably be okay as long as nobody brought the search dogs up. Wink 😜