** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

3 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Nope.

Vern learned that you never mess with an outlaw - regardless of age.

• Like 3

July 3   2002     Part One

When I got up early this morning I was shocked to find out Vern had left camp. Gone without a word. Right after that Jim came to me and told me he was leaving as well. He said it wouldn’t be safe with only three men at camp and he’d had enough. His wife wanted him home. He was taking his gold cut and would not be back. Vern had left with his gold as well.

I asked Jim about the partnership between the four of us. He said it was over and wished us well. There wasn’t much I could say. Jacob was out of his camper and pretty much told Jim what he thought of him. He called him a low life quitter. Jim didn’t say a word and began packing his things. I was stunned and couldn’t believe what was happening to us. It seemed like sometime late last night Jim and Vern had conspired to quit the crew. The part that really bothered me the most was they gave me no warning. Jacob looked at me and simply said it was just me and him now and we didn’t need anyone on the mine without the sand to stick it out. How in the hell was I going to keep things running with no crew? And would it be safe?

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 2

12 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

July 3   2002     Part One

When I got up early this morning I was shocked to find out Vern had left camp. Gone without a word. Right after that Jim came to me and told me he was leaving as well. He said it wouldn’t be safe with only three men at camp and he’d had enough. His wife wanted him home. He was taking his gold cut and would not be back. Vern had left with his gold as well.

I asked Jim about the partnership between the four of us. He said it was over and wished us well. There wasn’t much I could say. Jacob was out of his camper and pretty much told Jim what he thought of him. He called him a low life quitter. Jim didn’t say a word and began packing his things. I was stunned and couldn’t believe what was happening to us. It seemed like sometime late last night Jim and Vern had conspired to quit the crew. The part that really bothered me the most was they gave me no warning. Jacob looked at me and simply said it was just me and him now and we didn’t need anyone on the mine without the sand to stick it out. How in the hell was I going to keep things running with no crew? And would it be safe?

TO BE CONTINUED ..................

Sarge would of had a field day with those two.

• Like 2

July 3   2002     Part Two

Jacob and I stayed in camp and watched Jim pack up and drive off. I was able to shake his hand and thank him for his help on the mine but Jacob refused. After he was gone Jacob and I did some talking. Jacob said Vern and Jim had panicked and given in to the hooligans. He said this is what they wanted and if they didn’t already know they would soon be aware it was just the two of us left. Things could get bad real fast. To top it all off, today was the anniversary of the July 3 1937 attack and murder of Jacob’s crew. He was in a down mood. So was I. We decided to take the next two days off and get a grip on our project. We would need to come up with a plan to mine but also stay alive and well out here in this remote mountain country. Jacob looked at me square in the face and stated flatly that this is where we separate the men from the boys. He asked me how bad I wanted gold and what would I be willing to do to get it and keep it. Would I fight? We would need to count on each other if things went bad.

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

JMO but with only two guys the situation is very dangerous based on past experiences. Not only is mining somewhat dangerous by itself but the hooligans represent the biggest challenge. I hope it works out for the two of them but I think they need to recruit a couple guys.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

JMO but with only two guys the situation is very dangerous based on past experiences. Not only is mining somewhat dangerous by itself but the hooligans represent the biggest challenge. I hope it works out for the two of them but I think they need to recruit a couple guys.

Yes, the danger is real. How far anyone is willing to go is up to each indicidual. What I learned about Jacob is he was willing to go to the max.

• Like 3

Jacob has nothing to lose. No family. You on the other hand do. So where is your true loyalty? To Jacob & the gold, or your family? You are no good to your loved ones dead. You have a good amount of gold already. Jim & Vern decided the gold was no longer worth it & Jacob showed no respect to their decisions. Jacob didn't even have the decency to thank them for what they had done & wish them well. He is just selfish & I think he wants to go out the same way as his brother & old crew. Die fighting for the gold. As I said, he has nothing to lose, but you do. No gold is worth your life. Decision time for you now. You are not in a good position.

D4G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

July 3   2002     Part Three

Seeing as we took the day off and were also taking the fourth of July off as well Jacob and I sat around camp and talked. He was like a grandfather to me and I admired him. I think he really was an outlaw but I respected him in many ways. He was my friend and I could count on him. That I knew for sure.

I cooked up his canned hash and hot dogs he liked so much and after supper we stoked up a nice campfire. The night was as clear as could be and we could see every star in the sky. Jacob brought out a new bottle of Bushmills and two tin cups. We drank toasts to the old crew and Jacob sang some ancient Irish songs I had never heard before. Songs of lonesome mountain travelers and songs of the sea and pirates. We were both slowly getting drunk together.

Jacob turned to me and shook my hand. His grip was strong and firm. He said he would not want to be anywhere else tonight but on this mine. He grabbed a lantern for himself and gave me one as well. He took the half empty bottle and a second one and said to follow him. He was heading for the old watch station he had been at in 1937 when the crew was attacked. When we got there he told me he wanted to sit there for a spell and I sat with him.

He poured more whisky into the cups and he lit one of his homemade rolled  smokes. It smelled good and even though I didn’t smoke I asked him if he had another and he gave me one which I lit using his matches. It was strong and I let out a cough or two. Jacob ignored it and I could see he was going back in time. There we sat drinking whisky and smoking tobacco as midnight approached. Suddenly Jacob broke into a song. His voice was rough and the words were hard to understand but I had heard it before. He called it “The Parting Glass” and he sang it softly. I sat and listened and the whisky tasted good. When he finished we drank to the old crews of 1936 and 1937. He looked at me and told me I was an outlaw miner now just like him and there was no going back. He said we were free men. Free from society and its rules. Jacob said that out here we would make our own laws.

He pointed in several directions where the gunfire had come from that tragic  night. His trusty Thompson was with him as always and he pulled it up to his chest and fired off a burst to the north up into the trees on the mountain. Then he set the Thompson back down. He told me how he had fought like hell until he was almost out of ammo. He was reliving everything right in front of me and I didn’t know what to do. 

Around 1:00 AM he seemed to have it out of his system and we trudged back to camp. Neither of us was too steady on our feet and the whisky was hitting me hard. But we kept the fire going and sipped away at our cups until nearly 3:00 AM. Jacob was too drunk to get to his camper so I got a heavy blanket and covered him where he sat in his chair. I decided to stay out there with him and before I knew it I must have passed out.

TO BE CONTINUED ...........

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1