One Thing I Wish XP Had Done With The Deus 2

abenson

I wish they would have left manual ground balance as an option in all programs. It's only available in mono.

I'm already finding myself needing the fine adjustments of manual ground balance the Deus 1 offered. I guess they figured it wasn't needed with the multi programs. Being able to adjust GB manually allows you to squeeze a little more depth out a machine in bad dirt. It can also be used to tune out small pockets of mineralization that may have not been present at the site you GB'd on. One reason ground notch would have also been nice.

Probably not a big issue for most and I can live without it. But I really wish they would have left manual GB as an option.

• Like 5

It's not an oversight, the topic is addressed in the manual on page 23

"Manual mode is not available in multi-frequency programs, as it would be tedious to set each frequency independently. The Grab mode advantageously allows to capture the ground value of each frequency simultaneously."

Now what XP defines as tedious...

JP

Yes I have read the manual and explanation. However just watch Gary's latest video and you'll see why it would be nice to have manual adjust. Yes it's the relic mode he's using but it could apply to any program. He uses the grab and it grabs a value much lower than the actual ground as a result He digs a hot rock. Yea it could have been that small rivet, most likely not though.

Manual works on the Equinox, why wouldn't it work with the Deus 2?

• Like 2

Perhaps it will be offered in an update? As Gary also noted, we're at software version 0.6, so there's clearly more to be sorted out. They do recommend frequent ground "grabbing" when using relic mode, so maybe it's something of a known liability? I don't have a Deus II yet so all I can do is speculate. Even if I did, it's currently 13F outside so not the ideal test environment.

24 minutes ago, abenson said:

Yes I have read the manual and explanation. However just watch Gary's latest video and you'll see why it would be nice to have manual adjust. Yes it's the relic mode he's using but it could apply to any program. He uses the grab and it grabs a value much lower than the actual ground as a result He digs a hot rock. Yea it could have been that small rivet, most likely not though.

XP have given the user some valuable adjustments like salt Sens, magnetic ground, audio response, and a few others while not including manual ground balance for all modes. They may know something that we don’t as users and also may be trying to avoid what they may see as an easy way for a user to complain.

Minelab automated many things on the Equinox that I sometimes wish I had some control over and gave manual adjustments for others……..

Just speculating so ignore this comment all you want. Maybe XPs FMF and Minelab’s Multi IQ deal with ground handling very differently similar to how differently Deus/Orx and the Equinox deal with ferrous targets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abenson said:

i have read the manual a couple of times....well skimmed it would be more accurate so maybe I missed this. 

Does the ground balance setting achieved in one mode carry over to another mode? So, could one manually ground balance Deus Mono at 40 kHz where it is a little positive and then switch to Gold Field or Relic mode and retain that positive setting. I know that does not work on the Equinox but it has manual ground balance so a redundant point.

On the Deus I have been for the most part ground balancing every time I change programs but the numbers never seem to change. On the Equinox they change with every program. Whether or not it carries over on Deus I have no idea.

• The title was changed to One Thing I Wish XP Had Done With The Deus 2
On 2/12/2022 at 9:24 AM, abenson said:

I wish they would have left manual ground balance as an option in all programs. It's only available in mono.

I'm already finding myself needing the fine adjustments of manual ground balance the Deus 1 offered. I guess they figured it wasn't needed with the multi programs. Being able to adjust GB manually allows you to squeeze a little more depth out a machine in bad dirt. It can also be used to tune out small pockets of mineralization that may have not been present at the site you GB'd on. One reason ground notch would have also been nice.

Probably not a big issue for most and I can live without it. But I really wish they would have left manual GB as an option.

I would suggest bringing this to the attention of TNSS. He is in contact with XP and should add this to the list of improvements. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudwhale said:

I would suggest bringing this to the attention of TNSS. He is in contact with XP and should add this to the list of improvements. 👍

I believe the question about can manual ground balance function be added in the FMF modes has already been sent to XP and answered. The answer was no with no explanation given. XP are considering ground notch for Relic and Gold Field however.