Threshold Issue

Ogliuga

The two main areas I have and will use a Deus for are gold prospecting for smaller gold nuggets and for relic hunting. I usually do this type of hunting using a threshold tone. For relic hunting I sometimes use disc. IAR set on 3 to 5. For gold prospecting I leave disc. IAR on 0 or at most 1. 

Clearly hearing the threshold tone vary, hearing very faint target responses and hearing non-ferrous responses amid ferrous responses are all important for me.

Even when I am using a discrimination mode, I always have at least part of the iron target IDs accepted so I can hear iron targets either as an iron tone or as a nulled threshold tone.

The WS back phone system does not help me with that hearing process. They simply do not fit my head no matter how much I adjust them, put tape or foam padding on them or literally bend them to fit my big head. When I wear a baseball hat with the plastic tabs on the back that have several holes on one side and little round tabs on the other, mine are always on the last tab and hole and the hat is still usually too tight. Since the WS does not fit, the ear phone pieces don’t fit either and the plastic rubs on the side of my head and irritates the top of my ears whether I am wearing sunglasses or not in about 45 minutes.

I won’t call the WS4/6 audio modules junk. They are fantastic. I will call the WS back phone system unusable for my head however so they might as well be junk. 

For those that think I am complaining……I am not. I have been fighting with those back phones for 6 years now. I actually like the original back phones better than the newer “improved” design.

I seriously hope that XP get the threshold that is an option on Deus 2 working as at least a reference threshold soon.

I’m not a prospector but I 100% agree with you, Jeff. 

On 3/21/2022 at 3:58 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The two main areas I have and will use a Deus for are gold prospecting for smaller gold nuggets and for relic hunting. I usually do this type of hunting using a threshold tone. For relic hunting I sometimes use disc. IAR set on 3 to 5. For gold prospecting I leave disc. IAR on 0 or at most 1. 

Clearly hearing the threshold tone vary, hearing very faint target responses and hearing non-ferrous responses amid ferrous responses are all important for me.

Even when I am using a discrimination mode, I always have at least part of the iron target IDs accepted so I can hear iron targets either as an iron tone or as a nulled threshold tone.

The WS back phone system does not help me with that hearing process. They simply do not fit my head no matter how much I adjust them, put tape or foam padding on them or literally bend them to fit my big head. When I wear a baseball hat with the plastic tabs on the back that have several holes on one side and little round tabs on the other, mine are always on the last tab and hole and the hat is still usually too tight. Since the WS does not fit, the ear phone pieces don’t fit either and the plastic rubs on the side of my head and irritates the top of my ears whether I am wearing sunglasses or not in about 45 minutes.

I won’t call the WS4/6 audio modules junk. They are fantastic. I will call the WS back phone system unusable for my head however so they might as well be junk. 

For those that think I am complaining……I am not. I have been fighting with those back phones for 6 years now. I actually like the original back phones better than the newer “improved” design.

I seriously hope that XP get the threshold that is an option on Deus 2 working as at least a reference threshold soon.

Thank you Jeff for sharing your practice on goldfields, I have not yet tried on local gold rivers and I learn with you that the Theshold has its importance and these settings to be effective. I will eventually take the time to go and try the Deus II and Equinox in its terms.
For the WS4 and WS6 I hear your suffering and many complain about it especially on the receiver ear, but I always try to  
 or I always advise to be positive in these cases and with your WS6 you have to realize that among us you are the only one who will never "get a big head" because it is natural for you. 

Le 17/03/2022 à 15:54, Ogliuga a dit :

Salut à tous, j'ai remarqué que le seuil D2 que je sélectionne quand je suis en pitch ne sert à rien. C'est un bourdonnement régulier, sans aucune variation, pas même sur du fer discriminé. J'adore le seuil et, à mon avis, le hum D2 est inutile. Quelle est votre opinion sur ce sujet ?

On a French site I contacted an administrator who has himself contacted XP and here is his answer:
''I contacted XP who forwarded to the design office. They have already had some feedback on the subject and a modification will be made on a next update, not necessarily the next one but it is in progress.
Thanks to my XP contact for his quick response.
Slyworld has also posted, "I have shared this with XP".
Hopefully we will be heard.

Very good, this is a great news. Thanks for sharing! 👍