Spearhead (red Sandstone) With Gold Inside?

Anyone ever seen this before?

I used a very strong magnet and picked up no attraction so rules out iron pyrite. Did a volumetric displacement test and ran some calculations and getting 9.09 grams of gold contained within the specimen.

Love to see what others think.

ADE3BB4D-5A7D-4ED7-ADFB-B0945D7E05DB.jpeg

352230F8-B72A-4FD3-90D7-7C3DCCD0BA72.jpeg

6AD19657-C681-4F0E-979E-47275D9C0206.jpeg

72E03D7E-C48F-481E-8FD4-F5D098F38B03.jpeg

888C4FEC-0EA2-4BD9-B82E-9A23E9247EE9.jpeg

144D5CF1-85FC-482F-B04A-9C99810AA310.jpeg

5540086F-5AB6-44F6-A156-E466CF738D8E.jpeg

EEF96F7A-683F-47F3-B507-4690B29CC846.jpeg

BF9830BC-B870-479E-89DB-F83C3080D839.jpeg

6EA320EE-C876-4FB9-A691-684C5E8E0A5E.jpeg

FCFFDD34-4854-46F7-8742-72DBE185F424.jpeg

A2F99D0D-27FD-44FD-A91B-CFDCE5B76681.jpeg

AE7C8CE3-94F9-434A-8E69-C22BCC00253E.jpeg

E1709866-C74F-4728-9E5E-CFF065666642.jpeg

I think it's quite a quandary. On one hand, if the gold is real, you could smash it up and extract it. On the other, it's an ancient relic, and an awesome one at that. Yikes 🤯

Good luck! The third option is to verify everything and sell it to a collector or museum. 🙂 Great photos.

Check with a local university or try to pick Chris Ralphs brains for more info is my suggestion.

Nice to have it as is no matter what.

What part of the country did you find it in?

It is very nice looking and I would bet that it is going to be a rare find for sure.

I hate to throw cold water on that lovely spearpoint. However, from your photos, the spearhead appears to be made from reddish orange jasper/chert, not red sandstone. Also, it is possible for the jasper, chert, agate/chalcedony family of quartz to contain gold and other low temperature forming metals from hydrothermal deposition. I just am not convinced that I am seeing any gold in your spearhead from the photos you provided.

Is that spearpoint Native American or a reproduction?

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I think it's quite a quandary. On one hand, if the gold is real, you could smash it up and extract it. On the other, it's an ancient relic, and an awesome one at that. Yikes 🤯

Good luck! The third option is to verify everything and sell it to a collector or museum. 🙂 Great photos.

No quandary here - Pulverizing is not an option for sure. Only non-destructive testing methods will be used 👍

don’t get me wrong though, when I first noticed the gold some of my first reactionary thoughts were to build a chamber so none of the gold escaped when I put the hammer to it but luckily the planning of said chamber took long enough I had time to come to my senses 😜

15 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

What part of the country did you find it in?

It is very nice looking and I would bet that it is going to be a rare find for sure.

I actually found it in a flea market - a booth with a lot of knives and spears and also some relics and primitive weapons made of relics. There was a framed case with 31 arrowheads and this 1 spearhead. I bought the case and contents for $40. Noticed the gold when I got home. I’m in bama btw.

13 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I hate to throw cold water on that lovely spearpoint. However, from your photos, the spearhead appears to be made from reddish orange jasper/chert, not red sandstone. Also, it is possible for the jasper, chert, agate/chalcedony family of quartz to contain gold and other low temperature forming metals from hydrothermal deposition. I just am not convinced that I am seeing any gold in your spearhead from the photos you provided.

Is that spearpoint Native American or a reproduction?

It’s authentic. See previous post where I detailed how I came about it. As far as if it’s real gold I did other non-destructive testing to determine if it’s gold. I did a vinegar test - no change in color - still gold and shiny. I’m open to performing other tests and posting results (non-destructive only). I wanna know too and be sure.

13 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I hate to throw cold water on that lovely spearpoint. However, from your photos, the spearhead appears to be made from reddish orange jasper/chert, not red sandstone.

You may be right, I’m pretty new to this, it feels rough like red sandstone which we do have here in the state and which is well-known to contain gold. I’m actually looking to learn more about the different materials and their properties. I’ll post up a pic later of all the arrowheads that were in that case. I’m wondering if it’s possible to find more geological goodies in arrowheads - like gem stones?

I certainly do not know, but I would not think a sedimentary rock like Sandstone could be knapped by pressure flakes. I have only ever seen igneous rocks like Chert/Flint or Obsidian used for knapping.