Reports On MX Sport Firmware Update - Post Here

Guest Paul (Ca)

tboykin. what about the issue with the cracks in the display corner? Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

problem that assembling the display the screws are to thight?

i have send two mx sports back, they are in the uk now,

also have problems with the cam locks first lower rod, and few weeks later the upper rod, 

sucks when you are in open field. ik repaired it . i had two  new one.s 

stil tying, 

addon.jpg

From another forum Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

Outstanding Customer Service? Not in my case!
Posted by: HEBEGB 
Date: July 05, 2016 05:52PM
My MX Sport face plate apparently cracked the weekend before last during a 3 hour fresh water hunt. I didn't notice anything until Wednesday morning when, after turning it on, it turned right back off and continued doing so even after removing and replacing the batteries. Then I noticed the crack in the upper right corner of the face plate. So, I called Whites early that morning and explained what was going on. They left me with a "Can I call you back in about an hour?" Well 6 hours later, nothing, so I called again and had to leave a message. I did get a call back 15 minutes later that I missed, but the voicemail said that I could call back to get a return authorization and return shipping label. Soooo, I called back to give them my email to send the label to and I also asked for a replacement machine to be sent b/c that is what I wanted. They said sure and that they would need a credit card number and I happily obliged. They said that they should get the machine out Thursday. Well, this morning I called to see if I could get a tracking number and it was total confusion, like I had never even called at all. Again they asked if they could call me back and again I waited and waited. After another six hours or so later I decided to call again. Guess what I was told? It SHOULD go out tomorrow. REALLY? This is not what I would consider outstanding customer service. I don't even consider it to be mediocre customer service. I was seriously considering adding an MX5 to the arsenal in the near future, but now I don't think so. 

Rico

You show one crack but my MX Sport has two in the left corner of the face plate. You may want to look on one side are the other for chips in the plastic when they pop the face cover off . They had to get in there for the firmware update. It looks that a fine blade like a knife was used but in doing the plastic cover was chip.

I find the MX Sport is one great coin detector that I'll write on later.

Chuck

On 7/5/2016 at 1:39 PM, tboykin said:

Give us a call to check on your detector - 1-541-367-6911. We're trying to get with the times but a phone call still seems to be the best way to get a quick response here.

I already got a prompt email response yesterday.  However it was "get to it when we can" type of response.  :(

15 hours ago, Rico said:

tboykin. what about the issue with the cracks in the display corner? http://www.findmall.com/read.php?31,2304007

problem that assembling the display the screws are to thight?

i have send two mx sports back, they are in the uk now,

also have problems with the cam locks first lower rod, and few weeks later the upper rod, 

sucks when you are in open field. ik repaired it . i had two  new one.s 

stil tying, 

addon.jpg

The cracks in the faceplate are something that I've been following too. I checked with engineering and they updated the part back in May to address this. So any detector that's been built since then or comes back for any reason gets a new one made out of the different material just to be safe. The failure rate isn't high but I think they're doing the right thing in replacing them to be safe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Rico

You show one crack but my MX Sport has two in the left corner of the face plate. You may want to look on one side are the other for chips in the plastic when they pop the face cover off . They had to get in there for the firmware update. It looks that a fine blade like a knife was used but in doing the plastic cover was chip.

I find the MX Sport is one great coin detector that I'll write on later.

Chuck

Chuck,

The cracks are from a bad part, not removing the faceplate. Removing the faceplate doesn't require any prying if it's done correctly, and the unit we sent you was New In Box, except for me taking it out to make sure it worked properly before sending. If there was a chip there from a hoo-man it was from my clumsy a$$, but I'm pretty sure it's just from the weak spot on the plate. We updated the part in May when we started getting a few reports of the cracks. They seem to be caused by weak parts of the resin. Tried to catch it early but a few units squeaked out.... The fail rate isn't that high but we want to hear from anyone who has a cracked edge of their faceplate.

Once a company has a couple thousand units out there you start to see little things that can be improved. Thanks for posting all of your feedback and pics, making a new product ain't easy but the more info we can collect the better we can make it.

Tom

• Like 3

I guess I'll just jump right with my first post as a new member since it pertains to the subject currently being discussed.

Just minutes ago I received my brand spanking new MX Sport. While I was unboxing it, I noticed that it had the "optional" cracks (3 minor) around the perimeter of the faceplate.  Being that I didn't order them, I thought it only right to let White's know that they had inadvertently included them without charging me.  Before I went any further, I called White's and talked to Mary (who was great to work with by the way).  She immediately offered to ship me a brand new base model MX Sport, which of course does not include the optional decorative cracks and since I'm not the kind of person to take advantage of an obvious oversight such as this, I gladly accepted the kind offer. Had my financial situation been better, I might have opted to pay the extra $ to keep the additional adornment. :smile:

My background includes manufacturing and engineering and I knew going in that new products often have growing pains that do not show up during the development and testing phases.  I also knew that I might be one of those who get bit.  Is it disappointing?, of course it is, but I know that the people at White's will not only make it right, they'll apply the lessons learned to the production of even better products in the future.  

One more thing about White's detectors, they're conceived, designed and built right here in the United States and I for one intend to support our own.

I've been metal detecting on and off since the early 80s and am still using my one owner 1997 model XLT Spectrum. I believe the Sport will be a good addition, both for it's being waterproof and for it's comparative simplicity when newbies want to tag along.

As many has already said,  White's service is excellent,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and according to Mary the new unit should ship tomorrow. :biggrin:

Monty

• Like 4