Reports On MX Sport Firmware Update - Post Here

Guest Paul (Ca)

3 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Between me planing a trip and all the rain we've been getting here it's hard to get any testing done' Right now it's been raining so much

Hey Chuck looks like things finally took a turn for the better for ya!  Except maybe for the rain.  We've been getting lots of it too lately.  Problem is you can't use the rain for an excuse so much now with a waterproof detector.  Ya just need to get you a good rain suit and make yourself waterproof too!  I think you doing some testing in the rain would be an attractive element for your testing.  A few lightning strikes in the background etc might bring in millions of views?  

But seriously we all know why god made a rainy day, so we could all sleep real good of course.  Once I get retired (in a bout 3 more days) that's how I plan on spending rainy days if at all possible.

I saw the depth testing on the Sport that Steve posted.  Looked real promising.  Not sure why folks get hung up on the tones so much. It's not a Stradivarius it's a metal detector.  Anyway, I know you get all that.  When you get to your testing I'll be looking forward to it and maybe doing some of my own in the future.  I thought it would be good to set up a test garden in my yard.  Much better than doing air tests for sure.  

The very best Regards

Terry

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry

You would think if a detector company makes a waterproof unit they should know it needs a lighting rod. I also need to drag a chain on one leg so the lighting can go to ground..

Being retired is beyond words. I've been at it since June 2001 and never looked back. My only problem was my wife thinking I retired to work on our home. The only thing I do believe time goes faster when retired but like said it's great.

The Best !

Chuck

On May 31, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Roughwater said:

Not sure why folks get hung up on the tones so much. It's not a Stradivarius it's a metal detector.     

I am guessing you don't use tones to hunt. However very many people do. I run full tones on my DFX and it was a major selling point for me on the MXS. Regardless, all features included on a detector should work. If I buy a car with four doors I expect all four doors to work, even if I only use one or two.

I do hope the MXS ends up being all you hoped for Chuck. You have certainly earned it!

48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I am guessing you don't use tones to hunt. However very many people do.

Hey Steve,

I do use tones to hunt.  I use tones more than #s.  2 of my 3 detectors have no screen for ID' numbers. Tones are all I have to go by on those detectors.   I didn't explain myself very well with my comment but what I meant was that I didn't understand why some would be bothered by digital VS Analog tones or why someone would be bothered by having a detector with more available tones than they cared to use?  I never really assumed much about a detector.  I have always adjusted to a detector and not required a detector to adjust to my likes and dislikes.  Variety is usually a good thing with detectors though some prefer to keep it simple.  I just go with the flow.  I will learn the basics first and over time figure out the other available options once I get the basics down.    

7 hours ago, Roughwater said:

I didn't explain myself very well with my comment but what I meant was that I didn't understand why some would be bothered by digital VS Analog tones or why someone would be bothered by having a detector with more available tones than they cared to use?

OK, this is a explanation to my Explanation.:huh:LOL

I feel like my explanation didn't convey my original explanation.  I don't think I used the work "bothered" the way I meant to convey it.  To put it in other terms:  Like you Steve, I didn't understand why it would be a problem for some folks if their detector has digital tones instead of analog tones nor do I understand why it would be a problem for some if the detector has options you may not choose to use like 4, 8 or 20 tones.  Like I said, I go with what is available with the product.  I'd rather have that sunroof on my car even if I don't think to use it (long as it don't leak).  When I sell that car the next person might like having that sunroof so it could be a dealmaker in the end.  But for me the real meat of a detector is things like depth, sensitivity, response time, If I get it over gold and it goes boing, pop, bang or who-who or says, "hot dam".   It don't matter to me so much as long as it lets me know there is something there I should dig.       

You just like digging holes:ohmy:

But I know what you mean because I just wanna know whether to dig or not, But I Guess a lot of folks use the Tone in the same way, But even though the Sovereign GT only had 4 tones it was still the higher tones that I was looking for even though I dug them all, But now I rely on the 2 tone / Disc to tell as in low tone is Iron but Dig the rest because it is the closest thing to using the All Metal mode,

john

Hey John and Terry

Oh I love those different tones. Your ears may be half of the detecting because of the tone each target puts out. I remember the day when you had one tone no ID and you dug all. It was a lot of work back then but found more rings.

Here I go again giving credit where credit is due. Not one time did the people at White's tell me to go fly a kite. No company is in business for their health and I know it was no profit made off this detector. I was told forget about the cost lets get this problem fix for you and for others that may have the same problem.

Story telling time. I have a swimming pool that has a gravel bottom that I could hunt years ago. Well I know I have found over 70 rings and around 3 hundred dollars in coins out of it.. Back then they didn't have a fence around it. Oh I've been back but the last time they were thinking about putting me in jail. I didn't have a waterproof detector then. So if you don't hear from me for a while I may be a on a little vacation. haha Now think about this. The last time I could really get in there and hunt was back in the late 70's. Think about all the rings and coins is there now. Would you like to go to jail with me? haha

Chuck

I agree Terry, you have to use a machine for what it does best. In my mind the MX Sport may be the best fresh water detecting unit currently available, and a terrific alternative to the Garrett AT models.

This thread was about the firmware updates and it appears to have finally petered out. Currently there are several versions in circulation, including on dealer shelves. Since White's has never told people what versions exist and how to identify them buying new or used at this time is a crapshoot. Returns for updates have been totally voluntary and so dealers are still selling older versions. I am not convinced whatever version is current is the last as they were still tweaking trying to get the modulation feature to work properly. Or maybe we have reached "good enough". Who knows? This uncertainty about not knowing what you are getting is bound to have a depressing effect on sales, especially of used units. I still have a vague interest in the MX Sport personally but right now I figure another six months is needed to allow for a final firmware version to develop and let old inventory flush through the system. 

Anyway, if anyone has further information relating specifically to firmware versions of the MX Sport, (differences, how to identify, etc.)  continue to post here. Otherwise please start new threads or just let this one die. 

Steve 

Your right this thread was about White's firmware update. I'd say we can ask each other about firmware update but tell me why we don't ask the ones in the know. White's should know being they have been doing it to make detectors like the one I got better. I know on some detectors it shows it when you turn it on and gives a number like 4.0. With White's we know the SAT went from 6 to 8 on the MXS but beyond that who knows. Ah White's !

I need to open a post mark Bear story only.If you want to know how to spell it will it's b u l l  !

Chuck

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Would you like to go to jail with me? haha

I'm in Ridge Runner.  We could do a bit of scouting while they are open and maybe hide a waterproof pinpointer in our shots and do a little snorkling?  I best not say more than that or I'll be in the Forum jail if not a physical one.     

Ok Steve this will be my last post on this thread.  I gotta say though it's not as educational but the side posts here have sure been more fun than the talking about the firmware.  I much appreciate this great website.  It does have the effect of bringing lots of Detector users together for the better I believe.