4 hours ago, Nevada Brian said:

I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two.  The MXT, proven winner and the Racer 2, because I have read good reviews.

Hi Brian,

I can't personally help you a lot.  But I did a search and the guy  (Monte)  doing the review has done the most in-depth review in comparing the Racer to the MXT I have ever seen.  Keep in mind he is reviewing the Racer not the improved Racer 2.

https://www.ahrps.org/forums/read.php?2,3597,3601

• Like 1

Hi Brian, I took the Deus out to a little park near my house today for a quick hunt, the soil is fairly mild and on the Deus gb averaged around 67 to 72 or so, having access to these numbers is new to me so I'm still on my learning curve as to what that all means in relation to things other that the basics. This little park is never hunted so it loaded with clad, tabs, slaw and the other assorted junk. I know some silver must exist but the park has had a makeover some years ago and the silver might have been lost then. Anyway I'm digressing a bit here so back to the Deus, I found it fairly easy to id coins by cherry picking sweet higher tones and keeping the vdi above 70, with an occasional rusted bottle cap. Older heavy aluminum pull tabs were giving a sweet mellow tone in the 50 range at about 3 inches and the slaw bounced around in the 30's to 40's this day at this park. I dug a dozen clad, a little bit of junk and mostly focused my time testing myself in the clad range and higher tones for the little bit I practiced today. Additionally, while the vdi helped to id coins it was not near as accurate as the whites in identifying specific coins as whites which was pretty consistent everywhere I hunted down to around 5 inches or so, perhaps even a bit more depth than that at times. It feels like the Deus can be as others have said before as easy or difficult to operate as the user wishes and although still early in my experience still holding true. I'd agree, the Deus style of vdi favors non-ferris in a way where it's more difficult to eliminate some of the things you don't want. I think it was Fred that aptly pointed out, things like modern aluminum are more scarce in the gold fields, so hopefully the vdi won't be as much of a factor at those old home sites, similar to the conditions overseas. I should add today I was running relic program 6, with the iron volume tweaked to 0, reactivity bumped to 1 and volume lowered to 2.

I've spent the last 3 months feeling a bit like a tennis ball at whimbilton, the ctx, gold racer and Deus all have things I was looking for but in a different way. And during this 3 months I've changed my mind almost hourly, every review, new release, rumor and delay a whack of the racket sending my decision back across the net. i guess I could also add my reasons for settling on the Deus... As I've said previously... Love the package, lifetime updates, the Deus was sounding like a very capable machine and the promises of v4 would make it perfect, I'm committed to buying the new v4 coil, but if by some surprise v4 fails to live up to the hype I can just buy the racer instead for about the same money. The Deus small coil and ws3 headphones alone can make a decent portable mini pointer for the zed without the upper shaft and controller and finally, I ruled out the ctx despite it fitting so well with zed because I'm just a bit nervous about the 3030 being dated technology and the lack of regard to mineLab customers with the games played on the gpz pricing and sudden gpz price drop.

good luck in your quest, clark

• Like 3

I really appreciate the feedback fellas.

I saw a you tube video from Keith Southern, he was able to reduce the iron audio on the Racer 2 which I thought was really cool.  It really made the coin stand out, I added a link to that video.  So many great detectors out there which makes the decision so difficult.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=makro+racer+2&adlt=strict&view=detail&mid=33C51C6C1F0A9780639D33C51C6C1F0A9780639D&FORM=VRDGAR

Deus and f19 has iron volume too. Dont know how soon you are planning on buying, but Scott Jocoy was telling me to join him on a Saturday hunt soon. Thinking I may go in 2 weeks. If your there, you can try the Deus and f19 (improved gb pro). Im in love with the Deus myself...run it in full tones, zero disc...noisy as hell, but dont feel like I miss much. Its like a  fast minelab set like that, you can even hear 2 targets under the coil...like low conductor with a high conductor...gives that wierd, mixed tone.

23 minutes ago, deathray said:

Deus and f19 has iron volume too. Dont know how soon you are planning on buying, but Scott Jocoy was telling me to join him on a Saturday hunt soon. Thinking I may go in 2 weeks. If your there, you can try the Deus and f19 (improved gb pro). Im in love with the Deus myself...run it in full tones, zero disc...noisy as hell, but dont feel like I miss much. Its like a  fast minelab set like that, you can even hear 2 targets under the coil...like low conductor with a high conductor...gives that wierd, mixed tone.

You should join us Ray.  I would like to check out the Deus, thanks.

• Like 1