Golden Beaches..

53 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

I told you to leave my beach alone and not advertise it to other so I an angry but will forgive you once again but you only get limited pardons.  😜 

Thanks for the pardon Geoff.. by my reckoning I'm on my last one.. But in my defence can I get you to have another look at the picture of your bay.. You'll notice there's no one on the beach.. That's because I've warned all islanders off it and only let on tourist who are likely to drop their coins.. I'm only going for the low-hanging fruit.. The rest of the old silver coin hoard is yours.. 🙂  

Nice hunting Erik, I might have to get one of those bigger coils myself. Going to get back into beach detecting as soon as my back will let me. Do you prefer the Minelab coil or the Coiltek. And Geof_Junk I have always found more 2s than 1s wherever I go... I always thought it was because they were smaller but your explanation seems more logical than mine.

5 minutes ago, unox said:

Geof_Junk I have always found more 2s than 1s wherever I go... I always thought it was because they were smaller

That would be a factor, being smaller means less detector signal from it as well as slipping out of their hands or pockets etc.

7 minutes ago, unox said:

Do you prefer the Minelab coil or the Coiltek

The Minelab 15x12 coil will always be my favourite, we just get on well.. This workhorse is nearly always attached to a Nox 600.. This is not to say the Coiltek 15 isn't any good, it punches just as deep and gets used on a Nox 800 when hunting our longer beaches.. Even though it's the same size lengthwise my brain thinks I'm covering more ground.. Maybe that's because I find it easier to swing for longer periods..   

Yer some coils do become favorites that's for sure. Looks like there both very capable coils anyway. I will see which one I can get a better deal on.

The good thing about the $1 and $2 coins is they're screamers,they really stand out to detectors, we have the same coins here, although we were more logical with the sizes with the $1 being smaller than the $2. 

They also last in the ground for decades in perfect condition, other than losing their shine.   I find a very large majority of the ones I find here are dated from the 1990's for some reason, I guess back when coins were used the most, very rarely do I find a modern one.  It goes to show one day I will run out of the goldies to find as supply dries up. 

The good thing is they were extremely commonly held coins, everyone had them floating around in their pockets, so supply is plentiful.  I've found over 100 of them in a day on a good day on fresh ground.  Now with everyone using cards they don't carry pockets full of coins anymore.

If i get a 21/22 on the Nox 9 times out of 10 it's a goldie, rarely is it anything else.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

The good thing about the $1 and $2 coins is they're screamers, they really stand out to detectors

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

If i get a 21/22 on the Nox 9 times out of 10 it's a goldie, rarely is it anything else.

The sea-kayak hire dude must have dropped his cash box on the beach yesterday.. The Nox was screaming away on 21/22 whilst every 17 was a 50 cents and 16 was 20 cents.. They're also rarely anything else.. But I love the sound of the goldies best.. This is not the first time he's dropped his cash box.. I asked him if the coins were his last time and he let me keep about $30 worth of change.. Fair enough too I reckon, his cash business roars along during the school holidays.. It's the season to spread the joy (and goldies).. 🙂