Garrett AT Pro Vs White's MX Sport

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

There is much wisdom in just learning more about what you have John. Some of it is expectations also. I do not expect new VLF detectors to "go deeper" so in my case it is more about getting what I want in the way of features. There is also the fact I like trying new machines for the sheer fun if it. But you are spot on in saying that if a person wants to make more finds the best way to do that is to master what you have and simply put in more hours finding better locations.

I agree, very little difference in depth for any of the VLFs that I own. I also agree, it's now mostly about the features when it comes to a new detector. A balanced machine (not nose heavy), large/clear lcd readout, bright backlight for those early morning hunts, fast recovery rate, beach (salt) mode. All of those features are now expected on a newly designed mid-level model like the Racer or MXS. The highly effective ground tracking system is what really sets the MXS apart for me.

Agreed, I just picked up a used Tesoro Vaquero and after an hour or so I have begun to "feel it" Whole new world without a visual aspect but I think I'm going to like not having to look down so often. I'm picking up a Racer 2 ,MXS, MXT pro this year. and will stick with one. I'm tired of my V3i because I don't hunt enough to remember all the settings. But I would like to have a "keeper". And one for the trunk like the Tesoro just in case I see a spot that looks interesting!

You can find horror stories about every brand. Garrett actually has a very good reputation for service. You can't argue with success and the AT Pro right now has legions of happy users. There is a reason every competitor would love to get a piece of that action.

White's gave it their shot. I am waiting to see what First Texas and Minelab come up with in the waterproof to 10 feet under $1000 category. NokMak would have a worthy competitor if they stuffed their circuit in a waterproof housing but one of the hardest and most expensive propositions is getting the right housing design. So I doubt we see anything from the Turks in that regard any time soon.

Yeah that's right, And of course we do not know how that person treats his machines, it's very easy to bag a company but if the owner is less than respectful towards that machine then the sky's the limit as to what can go wrong with it.

My machines always look like the day I bought them even 3, 4, 5 years down the track, after two years of owning my last GMT A Dealer gave me 90 dollars less than what I paid for it New, But I guess most folks are not like me.

john