Minelab GPX Power Source's Stock Vs Aftermarket?

I use $15 LiPo 5000 mAh 7.4v Turnigy packs from China and solder on a connector. I have 7 of them so I always have spares. They last about 5-6 hours which can be a bit short depending how much hiking in you have to do. I have a couple 1500 mAh mini's that I got for $6 and one always stays in my cell pocket in my camelback with my cell booster pack, sometimes I just use those when I want really lightweight without the bungee and just hiking in to someplace to explore for a few hours.

This is just me but the stock battery is like the "brick" version of 80's cellphones compared to a modern cellphone, I really wish they'd update that part of the GPX line to smaller and lighter LiPo and wireless, we shouldn't need to carry around a battery on a backpack in 2016 IMO. That Reed's amp looks pretty interesting, might have to try one of those if I don't build something myself.

It is all relative. After using the sealed lead acid dome top battery on the SD and GP models the GPX battery was a huge step in the right direction. Lighter weight, nearly two days running on a charge, what is still the best amp built in, you can actually tell when it is fully charged, and no worries about overcharging. All qualities the earlier batteries lacked.

For sure, Steve, I used Doc's set-up for my 3500 but I must have bought 16 batteries while I had it...maybe more. It sure beat the lead battery for weight but not efficiency.

I loved the stock battery for my 5000 and would not consider using any other unless it was a wireless setup. 

Now I have the gpz and have no worries

fred

Fred, I had the exact opposite experience as you. I had one on my 3500 and it worked great. Never ate a battery, totally reliable. I loved that unit like my own mother. LOL

Sold it to my brother-in-law and it is still going strong years later. The one I had on my 4500 was a different story however.

On 5/29/2016 at 3:24 PM, jasong said:

I use $15 LiPo 5000 mAh 7.4v Turnigy packs from China and solder on a connector.

Jasong,

What do you use for an Amp with that set up?

its an old amp I bought used, the sticker fell off but want to say its a rooster booster or something like that. it was priced right and I needed something right away because my second stock battery failed mid detecting. im giving some serious thought to one of those reed's now though but not sure I can justify it since my detecting time is cut waaaay back for the foreseeable future.

doc must be using some really bad batteries because I've only had one aftermarket battery fail and only after a couple years of use. which is coincidentally about how long the $400 Minelab batteries lasted me too before I swore to never spend that much on one ever again lol. the stock batteries use sanyo cells for what it's worth, I took them apart.

oh also I use the AZO box cover, I had to sew in some Velcro straps inside to hold the battery because they are longer than the pocket.

2 hours ago, jasong said:

its an old amp I bought used, the sticker fell off but want to say its a rooster booster or something like that.

Appreciate your comments.  Since you took the Minelab battery apart did you happen to try to salvage the built in Amp? 

Terry