Rough Start With A Great Ending, Buttons And Coins

Today I began my adventure searching for a very old house in the woods, a part of an older permission that I didn't have time for. I did a lot of aerial and topographic map study, found where I thought the house was, and pretty much nailed it.Β 20230111_093436.thumb.jpg.7af32c648fd2a99df56458ef776abf75.jpg

Started out cold and foggy, in the 30s. It warmed up nicely tho, why I love living here. Winter is tolerable.

I followed this road until I found my pin in OnX Hunt, and had to look around a bit. Deeper in the woods I found it, the farmer told me it had a standing chimney, but all I saw was foundation bricks.20230111_095834.thumb.jpg.3f9893df218079c99176171ded4d1458.jpg

The hole was about 4 feet deep 10x12, and lined with brick, I brought the WS6 Master with the 9" coil in there knowing there would be a lot of undergrowth. Thorns and Holly everywhere. 😡 It looked like there was additional foundation next to it. I searched around for an hour or so and only found a can lid and a crushed funnel, there were hidden animal burrows everywhere. Not too long into searching I heard dogs, and then blam blam blam. I thought I should go and come back another day. It was odd because deer hunting season ended last Saturday πŸ€”

Got back to my truck, and decided to go to the trashy farmhouse site I visited last week. Got some pretty good stuff there but knew I would have to do something different than use my current relic program. I decided to use @Rattlehead's Silver Slayer program with the 13" coil and CF shaft, and I'm glad I did, this was the "good" junk I found:20230111_173905.thumb.jpg.7a08a04fc7f45abf6d5ac1561a16cc54.jpg

A large spoon, some sort of brass fitting, a toy truck part, a brass padlock, two heavy brass pieces and a large chunk of lead with a hole drilled in it.

I'm not gonna lie and say that's all the trash I found, as a matter of fact there was a lot of steel, aluminum, and copper trash that I just threw out. A lot. 😡 No matter what you do, you're going to be in a range where you get fooled by stuff especially if every type of metal you can think of is there. πŸ˜€

However, I have to thank Rattlehead for a seriously good coin shooting program, if you have to dig a lot of junk you might as well get some good stuff too! πŸ‘ This is not the perfect place for Silver Slayer, but it did slay one piece of silver, and then some!Β 

20230111_183213.thumb.jpg.ca6896f8d5e13a17af3d61dd57bc4787.jpg

I got 4 buttons that I didn't expect to find. One large general service coat button, an 1840s Marines button,20230111_183827.thumb.jpg.b0515da1a8ea731f8bc6379c339cbe86.jpg a small general service cuff button, and a fancy aluminum 2 hole button. An aluminum thimble, and an aluminum kennel tag.

3 memorials, 1 1959, the other two early 60s. This house was gone before 1967 as the earliest aerial shows. I dug 6 wheats, earliest 1920, latest 1949. Two "V" nickels, an 1898 and a 1901. The 2/3ds coin is silver, a reeded edge dime, but I can't identify it. It's melted, bubbled, and crushed:20230111_183422.thumb.jpg.a57cbd6a7589bf27d7708c672f6a534d.jpg20230111_183605.thumb.jpg.f48ea1d04cc96f38eb8a659f4b33447f.jpg

Got really tired after all that digging, picked up Chinese food for me and my wife on the way back because I got silver. πŸ˜€

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned it, but Silver Slayer is extremely resistant to EMI, I literally stood under these power lines that trashed every other program on the D2, and hardly heard a chirp. πŸ‘ That's huge...20230111_140548.thumb.jpg.b4b8113dbeb9f57eb396f52cf4ab6dd1.jpg

Β 

13 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

Wow F350, that’s a lot of nice finds and a great hunt! Well done finding the location. Love the old Marines button. Melted or not, silver is always sweet!

Awesome finds and a great write up!Β 

I had to invoke ya man, did you know SS is EMI resistant? Can't thank you enough. πŸ‘

Very nice hunt. It is odd the Farmer would tell you about a standing chimney and you did not come across one, even if it had fallen. Maybe you found the outbuildings & the dwelling is still hiding in the woods.

Congrats β€” just put SS in D2. Β 

5 minutes ago, JCR said:

Very nice hunt. It is odd the Farmer would tell you about a standing chimney and you did not come across one, even if it had fallen. Maybe you found the outbuildings & the dwelling is still hiding in the woods.

Thanks!

Don't know when he was there last, except to farm the place. I did find a few piles of bricks under the leaves, maybe the whole thing came down. Nothing in his fields.

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I had to invoke ya man, did you know SS is EMI resistant? Can't thank you enough. πŸ‘

I’ve only had bad EMI issues in one neighborhood that I hunt. Something there makes it go nuts, no matter which program I load up. Other than that, it’s probably the quietest program I use. Glad you like it!Β 
Β 

That’s a great spot you’re hunting there! Bet you’ll keep on pulling more good finds from that place!

3 minutes ago, matt said:

Those are some great places to hunt! Thanks for sharing your finds.

Thanks Matt,Β 

They would be better without all the other hunters out there, and sometimes they don't like to share. πŸ˜€ Rabbit hunting is next, but they fire into the woods and much lower.

Another nice hunt with some relics to boot.

Great saves and I know that you will be hitting it again with the NOX.

Good luck and stay safe out there.