Dead In The Scrub !!

The thing about this problem is that, yes it's nice that Minelab will send a replacement etc.

but really, when you are miles out in the boonies detecting and something like this happens,

it's a little late to be nice about it.

How 'bout Minelab, build it strong in the first place!

I love Minelab detectors,

But I really do not like their quality control or their product design.

And this is not some mindless reflexive whining.

These badly designed aspects of Minelab detectors

have been there for model after model after model.

• Like 1

BadaBing, 

If Minelab does not send me a new one, I may have to figure an alternative and rig something up myself. I am not going to buy another one because it will just break again. The s handle is pretty cool, but for my wrist if wont work do to tension at that angle. I have used the s handle on my Tesoro and after a few hours it makes my wrist sore. 

• Like 1

AU, very common with that handle!  Before the new detectors came out I was going to find a Machinist with a CAD machine to cut me one made of aluminum...maybe you can follow my thoughts and report back.

Rick

Hey Rick, great idea! Well I heard from Mellisa and  Minelab came through !!! They thanked me for sending pictures and story about what happened. In the mean time I already started on fixing my proem. I created my own version of what I think would make a great handle for me. In the rough here it is. 

image.jpg

I had a handle break on me as I was taking it out of the car.  I designed one out of PVC plumbing parts that slid over the shaft so it could never break.  I took it off when I got the replacement handle but I could swing that shaft and handle combo much better than the original.  I just didn't install the button but I should have.

Mitchel

• Like 3

I was lucky & never had one break but always had a spare & a "S" shaft set up in my kit ready to go if needed. My spare was a cheaper SD/GP handle modified for the quick track button.

Here's some other options:

http://www.detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au/#!detector-accessories/c1qqm

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/our-products/accessories/miscellaneous/gpx-wooden-handle.html

There used to be a bloke on eBay that made Queensland Oak wood handles too but I can't find them now. They got some good feedback on 4umer gold forum.

• Like 1

Here is the picture of one that I made a couple of years or so ago.  As I remember it I had to buy a new handle because it was said that where my broke near the screws was not covered.

I bought a piece of coupling that had a 1.25 inch interior diameter and got a short piece for the 't' and snugged it on in a way that didn't require glue and it was quite comfortable.  If I were to keep it on longer I would have installed the switch.

20160603_195720.jpg

20160603_195734.jpg

• Like 1

Here it is , it feels solid and the handle feels better as it slants forward a bit rather than straight. My hand feels natural as I sweep the cool from left to right ans back. The ultimate test will be on the field next Monday. The handle came from an underwater light.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I had a handle break on me as I was taking it out of the car.  I designed one out of PVC plumbing parts that slid over the shaft so it could never break.  I took it off when I got the replacement handle but I could swing that shaft and handle combo much better than the original.  I just didn't install the button but I should have.

Mitchel

I did the same thing Michel--- I bought Lucky's GP Extreme..... went to the field the first day.... it tipped over and broke off!!!

My FIRST time out!----------------

I ended up cutting a coupler to make it a saddle over the minelab shaft--then I put in the 3/4 PVC straight pipe for the handle---took some of my favorite rubber tape (that sticks to itself only) and had a good strong handle for awhile until I scavenged a handle from ricj or someone...lol