Deus 2 Vs Manticore. Relic Hunting In Hot Dirt.

37 minutes ago, strick said:

I just buy them all like an idiot. They all are a pleasure to swing and it is kinda fun to work over an area then  go back to the truck and pull out another detector and do it all over again...detector junkie thats me 🤣

strick

That's what I do.  I love them all for different reasons.  Some even have wires.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Daniel,

Getting back to MC vs D2. Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but did you try lowering the sensitivity on the MC? Thank you!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigSkyGuy said:

Daniel,

Getting back to MC vs D2. Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but did you try lowering the sensitivity on the MC? Thank you!

Yeah, but I was confused about you saying a Sens of 29.  I never had it that high.  I started out with it at 25.  This place is similar to how it is in Culpeper, VA in that the fields are extremely mineralized but the woods are not as bad.  In the woods I could run 22-25 sensitivity. In the field, I was getting too much mineral blow back so I dropped it into the teens to get rid of that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 5:17 PM, Carolina said:

A well known “surf church Sunday” good friend of mine, took his Manticore on its maiden voyage today in the dirt. Way to go Max! Moderator, move to different Minelab forum if you chose so please.

6A45CBA2-A288-43AE-B291-C91B77AAAB62.jpeg

9264952E-349D-4426-AF5C-E467323983DB.jpeg

9441D0C7-DA91-404E-8BAF-82720AE7BAA8.jpeg

Tuffy did good on his first outing.

• Like 2

All of my Multi detectors chatter in my dirt. The Core is no different. EMF is hard to get rid off with the Core near overhead power lines.. My next outing I will try some single frequencies to eliminate the ground noise. One thing I do know. It is Fast in Fast. Keep digging.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Yeah, but I was confused about you saying a Sens of 29.  I never had it that high.  I started out with it at 25.  This place is similar to how it is in Culpeper, VA in that the fields are extremely mineralized but the woods are not as bad.  In the woods I could run 22-25 sensitivity. In the field, I was getting too much mineral blow back so I dropped it into the teens to get rid of that.  

Dan - did you see my question whether the Minies were showing up OFF/above the 2D centerline such that they were being masked by the ferrous limits?  Was that the case?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Dan - did you see my question whether the Minies were showing up OFF/above the 2D centerline such that they were being masked by the ferrous limits?  Was that the case?

The shallow ones were on the center line and painted an egg shaped dot.  The deeper ones were NOT on the center line.  Here's a couple screen grabs of some videos I did while going over a deeper one and a shallow one. You can see the blob up there in the upper ferrous zone on the deep one. The shallow ones that read good will be directly below that, on the center line.  

Screenshot_20230211_111219_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_111607_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

25 it is. You might want to try teens sensitivity in the woods even though you can go up to 25. phrunt had an excellent post regarding lowering sensitivity to improve target IDs, which is worth a look if you have not seen it. Thanks for sharing your results. Excellent post!

37 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

The shallow ones were on the center line and painted an egg shaped dot.  The deeper ones were NOT on the center line.  Here's a couple screen grabs of some videos I did while going over a deeper one and a shallow one. You can see the blob up there in the upper ferrous zone on the deep one. The shallow ones that read good will be directly below that, on the center line.  

Screenshot_20230211_111219_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_111607_Gallery.jpg

Thanks.  Interesting.  Shows that soil mineralization can potentially push pure non-ferrous at depth into the ferrous limit regions (depending on the profile) such that ferrous limits will potentially mask keepers.  This can also potentially happen with the Nox and too much iron bias.   So with the M-core it is probably best to go with minimal ferrous limits in hot ground.

Perhaps ML can further tweak their Multi-IQ+ signal processing algorithms further to keep pure non-ferrous at depth as close to the centerline as possible in hot dirt.  Kind of an anti-mineralization-bias applied to the target signal to remove/reduce the ferrous component of targets so they fall as close to the centerline as possible.  This might result in more falsing ferrous but at least you won’t be filtering out keepers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chase Goldman said:

So with the M-core it is probably best to go with minimal ferrous limits in hot ground.

Unlike the Equinox's Iron Bias, with the Manticore the user can select regions of the Conductive scale to increase, decrease, or eliminate ferrous response.  This is the case for both the above central axis region ('nail region' -- not official ML terminology) and independently below the central axis ('sheet metal region' -- again not official language).

So if the intended target (lead bullet of certain size and shape in this case) falls above the central axis due to mineralization, the customization allows for opening up that region to high tones but still keeping other regions grayed out.

Most of the videos seem to show the upper grayed out region simply uniformly grayed (i.e. rectangle with base all across the screen from left to right) while showing the lower part with varied graying , with varying heights -- kind of like teeth on a not so perfect mouth.  😁  But the upper region can be configured similarly to the lower region.

• Like 5