Minelab Missed Opportunity On Manticore And Equinox Controls

Steve,

Are you talking about the user profile button on the side of the Equinox box?  If so, I couldn't agree more.  I have a second mode set up on my Equinox but if I wear gloves I simply can't push the darn side button in to switch between modes.  It's a real pain and I have to take my glove off every time I switch so the end result is that I seldom switch modes. 

I will give Minelab credit for at the very least making the buttons they do have easy to see.  The Legend buttons, which are all black, are impossible to see in the daylight unless you either put white paint on them or buy the control box cover.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use the user profile button a lot. However, to use it I have to basically stop everything, stabilize the entire detector by at least putting the coil on the ground, let go of the hand grip, take off my full finger glove and hopefully hit the button correctly (taking off control box cover might be necessary). Major pain in the butt. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Are you talking about the user profile button on the side of the Equinox box?

Yes, the User Profile button is a user definable button. The little head and shoulders button. I would argue the "quick and easy" statement in the manual was not written by somebody who has used the detector.

"EQUINOX 900 has a User Profile button on the side of the Control Pod that saves a copy of the current detector settings for future quick access. The User Profile provides you with a quick and easy way to toggle between two sets of detecting settings — those saved to the User Profile, and the last-used detector settings. The default settings for the User Profile are a copy of Park Mode 1."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I use the user profile button a lot. However, to use it I have to basically stop everything, stabilize the entire detector by at least putting the coil on the ground, let go of the hand grip, take off my full finger glove and hopefully hit the button correctly (taking off control box cover might be necessary). Major pain in the butt. 

Precisely, Jeff. 

I'm pretty sure that the designs of new detectors, like most products these days, are heavily influenced by the marketing departments. For new products to have the most mass appeal, you need to dumb them down and make them appear as simple to operate as possible. They're trying to attact new customers and not necessarily more experienced customers.

Looking at your masterfully mocked up photo, I'd go for the one on the right as would probably all Nox users, but for most people new to Minelab or new to detecting in general, the one on the left looks much easier to operate and not as scary to a noob.

Of course if they did put out the 10 button on the face version, I'm sure Minelab would be inundated with complaints of the control face being too cluttered or people complaining that they hit the wrong buttons all the time because they were too close together. It's pretty much a no win situation for manufacturers these days, so I think they just go with the most cost effective versions they can get away with.

• Like 3

My experiences with the Equinox 800 are parallel to Jeff McC's.  I use it frequently because it is valuable, but I have to jump through hoops (similar to his processes) to activate it -- effectively slowing down my detecting.  De-activating, fortunately is much easier -- just press the (front panel) mode button.

I was pretty confident the successors(s) to the Equinox 800/600 would improve upon this.  Why?  Because, as you say, it makes sense.  And because some of us complained from Equinox 800/600 day 1.  On top of that, the competition (Nokta Legend and XP Deus) did a better job, I think....

So why no improvement?  Because they didn't think it was important enough, for whatever reason (or, IMO, better stated -- irrationality = the opposite of reason).

I know you say manufacturers listen, but it's clear their ears are tuned to hear some (requests AND requestors) and not others, at least in Minelab's case.  Besides this issue, add the apparent lack of ease of allowing users to wirelessly attach their favorite audio devices (headphones, earbuds, etc.) which they've actually taken away from what the Equionox 800/600 offered!  That survey run here may have influenced them as only about 10% said they used the WM08 module.  So..., if they were looking for a way to cut corners, 90% of respondents gave them a reason.  Is 10% usage enough?  IDK.  But has been learned for aeons, taking something away that has been available isn't good practice.  (And we may still get something better in the future, either from ML or goodness forbid them allowing a 3rd party to provide the solution.  Further I'm fully aware of the current workarounds such as Garrett Z/Lynk T/R which I own.   But those add inconvenience and weight compared to what was previously available.)

But back to the initial topic.  I actually use two alternate settings to check targets when hunting parks&schools in Park 1 on the Eqx 800 -- Field 2 and Gold 1.  I can only put one in the awkwardly located user profile position so I have to rotate through all 8 settings to get to the other and then back to Park 1.  Yet there's still only one user profile slot on the new 900/700 and Manticore, despite my complaining.

Maybe if we were investors in Codan stock they'd pay more attention to us.  It sure looks like their actions are increasingly coming from that (I'll say it -- 'self-centered') source.  Was Minelab more customer oriented before they got bought out and made publicly traded?

• Like 3

Minelab must have an unlimited supply of those side buttons or some other overwhelming economic reason to keep using them on the new X Terra, Equinox, Manticore and GPX 6000. 

• Like 1