New Simplex Models Coming

On 6/6/2023 at 9:00 PM, Digalicious said:

Hello.

SMF means Simultaneous Multi Frequency.

SF means Single Frequency.

MF means Multi Frequency. MF is not SMF. MF is the ability to choose between various single frequencies.

The Vanquish series is SMF, but not MF.

Detectors such as the Deus II, Equinox, Legend, and Manticore are both SMF and MF.

4 hours ago, JCR said:

SSF would be the smart update for Nokta to do.

Speaking of SSF and detector frequency selection and mode capabilities….

Detecting manufacturers are all over the map on terminology conventions primarily to promote marketing “one upsmanship” and because there are no hard and fast rules on the definitions of single frequency and multiple frequency as they relate to classifying detectors.  The naming conventions just tend to confuse everyone.  Especially since the more popular and generally more capable and versatile detectors of late typically incorporate both simultaneous multifrequency (SMF) and single frequency (SF) mode capabilities, typically with the latter being “selectable” (hence “selectable single frequency” or “SSF”).   Using the term Multifrequency or MF to refer to a “type” or “class” of detector rather than a “mode” is just too ambiguous.  In my mind, MF is generally most associated with SMF detectors vice SF detectors that have the capability to select from multiple single frequencies, so I avoid it even when referring to SF detectors that have multiple selectable single frequency capabilities (e.g., Deus 1).  If you want to get even deeper into the weeds, you can argue about whether SMF detectors are actually  “simultaneous” MF or “sequential” MF.  So I try to limit use the term Multifrequency or Multi-Frequency or MF solely to referring to a detector’s operating mode.  All that being said, that didn’t stop Nokta from referring to some of their SSF only detectors as “Multi” (e.g., the Mukti Kruzer) - its all primarily marketing driven use of terminology that can cause the buyer who doesn’t understand or deep dive the specs to be confused and think they are getting more features than what they are actually getting.

Regardless, since there is no real standardization, the best you can do to avoid confusion, ambiguity and to keep people on the same page is to repeatedly define your terms as Digalicious did above to keep people on the same page or simply refer to the subject detector(s) directly by name or model number.

To keep it straight in my head, I look at the operating mode capabilities of detector to generally classify them as follows (examples of some of the most popular or notable recent models that fall into my categories provided - not an exhaustive list):

I consider both classes of detectors above as SF detectors in general as they only have SF mode capabilities and have no MF/SMF mode capability.

• Single Frequency - Simplex, most First Texas VLF detectors still in production, Garrett ACE and AT series (except Apex).
  • Selectable Single Frequency - Deus 1, Multi Kruzer, Impact, Anfibio, Tarsacci MDT 8000, X-Terra Pro, Quest Q35, 

I consider the detector classes below as SMF even if some of them have both SF and MF/SMF mode capabilities.

• Simultaneous Multi-Frequency (SMF only) - Vanquish, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
  • Simultaneous Multi-Frequency (with Selectable Single Frequency (SSF) modes) - Nox, Apex, Deus 2, Legend, Manticore, Quest V60/80.

Note:  I am not aware of any SMF detectors that only have one single frequency mode. I wish Vanquish had at least one single frequency selection (as well as adjustable ground balance) as it would make a slightly more versatile value detector in the ML lineup.  Alternatively, if ML added a single SMF mode (e.g., Beach or Park) to the X-Terra Pro without significant impact to price point, that would basically make the Vanquish irrelevant and blur the line on value-priced SSF and SMF detectors while accomplishing the same thing.  But we are talking razor thin profit margins at the lower end and I would understand why ML or even Nokta are adverse to slicing up the low end further by adding features that drive profits down further and potentially shunt sales away from the higher end models.

But this is a Nokta Forum and the Topic specifically is Simplex…

5 hours ago, Johnnysalami1957 said:

If the Simplex ultra had selectable frequencies it would be worth looking at. Maybe a quick revamp will save it.

I was hoping that’s what this most recent quick revamp was going to do, but it looks like they just went with the 15 kHz frequency change, Bluetooth on the 2 higher end variants (which basically obsoletes the Nokta pulse dive as a compatible wireless pinpointer option) and the additional tone and mode options on the Simplex Ultra.  Now that they’ve set the price point for Ultra in the ballpark of Legend, doubt they will revamp it again for selectable frequencies as that will just drive the price up even closer to Legend so folks would probably just opt for Legend at that point IMO.  

• Like 5

I can't see the new Simplex models being good sellers.   They needed switching single frequencies but I guess they didn't know the X-terra was on it's way at the time they made the decision to make them.  To me it makes more sense just to revamp the Simplex as one model to keep it modern such as adding Bluetooth like they did.  The shift from 12kHz to 15 was likely because Simplex owners all struggle with the pinpointers all being on the same frequency as the detector so it was just a pain really, having a mute function on the detector for when you use your pinpointer was a bandaid solution and an annoyance so the frequency shift makes sense.  It was never a good choice of frequency to put the Simple on and seems like they didn't really consider pinpointers when designing it.   That one Simplex model should have been as cheap as they could make it to own the low end market.

I guess Minelab did 3 models with the Vanquish so they figured seeing it's one of the Simplex's competitors they could do 3 models too so bring in slightly different price points.  Maybe doing that helps sales but it's not what I see with the local market and which detectors people appear to buy, most fork out the extra cash and just get the top of the range model rather than the cheapest one but the Simplex Ultra is very overpriced I think at least in my market.

Here I can buy an X-terra pro for cheaper than a Simplex with green headphones, I would take the X-terra anyday although I did buy a Simplex with headphones, but this was before the X-terras release.  The Impact Pro is very close in price to the X-terra here only about $30 USD difference, I think it's price has been significantly reduced to clear out the stock as now with the Legend the Impact just won't be selling anymore.

• Like 4

I am thinking that adding Selectable Single Frequency to the new Simplex line would not cost Nokta much if it only entails Software.

I feel certain Nokta is still monitoring this & other Forums. Surly they have at least considered doing this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JCR said:

I am thinking that adding Selectable Single Frequency to the new Simplex line would not cost Nokta much if it only entails Software.

I feel certain Nokta is still monitoring this & other Forums. Surly they have at least considered doing this.

Well they certainly should if they want to now directly compete with X-Terra Pro.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s an interesting depth test between the Simplex+ and the new Simplex Ultra. Good job Nokta! 

54 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Here’s an interesting depth test between the Simplex+ and the new Simplex Ultra. Good job Nokta! 

I haven't looked into the Ultra much, and that's the first comparison I've seen between the Ultra and the Plus. I thought for sure the depth would be about the same, but wow, the Ultra is significantly deeper. It also seems the sound is sharper and cleaner as well.

EDIT- On second thought, the Ultra is going about 4-5" deeper than the Plus. That's not just "significant", that's an almost unbelievable depth difference. Kind of makes me wonder if there was something wrong with his Plus.