Minelab Manticore Or Minelab Equinox 900 Which Better Detector?

Friends..I discussed one topic and was advised by people here and professionals and experienced people.  But I will still make a choice between these 2 detectors and I want your help.  Which one should I buy, which one do you recommend and which one will be useful for me?  I am going to search in the mountains by the rivers on the rocks by the river banks in the forests in the fields and so on.  I want.to search for gold.more shares.I want to search for gold..but at the same time I want to search for coins,relics,jewellery and jewelry.  Which detector do you guys recommend or which of these 2 detectors will be useful for me for all this? Thank you in advance.

• The title was changed to Minelab Manticore Or Minelab Equinox 900 Which Better Detector?
  • 3 weeks later...

Seeing nobody has answered and you're chasing gold nuggets at the moment I would say the Equinox 900 purely as it has the 6" coil and Coiltek 10x5" coil available for it, ask me again "if" the smaller coil comes out for the Manticore and "if" Coiltek make coils for the Manticore and my opinion may change. 

Seeing the stock small coil for the Manticore is going to be bigger at 8x5.5" over the Nox 6" coil I would not hedge my bets on the Manticore being more sensitive than the Nox 900, although it's entirely possible it will be, they have recently improved small gold sensitivity on the Manticore and in my testing 11" coil on the Nox 800 vs the 11" coil on the Manticore they're very close now, prior to the update the Nox won.  In saying that my testing wasn't done in a remote area where I could wind up the Manticore sensitivity, it has higher sensitivity settings than the Nox 900 and in remote gold locations running these higher sesntivity settings may well be possible, at least here I can run in maximum sensitivity on my Manticore with the 11" coil and it be perfectly stable.

So in summary, too soon to know, if you're desperate to buy now the Nox 900 is the safe bet, if you're willing to wait and see I wouldn't be surprised if the Manticore wins.

When it comes to coins/jewellery and so on they're all so close, including the Nox 800, yes the Manticore has advantages and also disadvantages (poor target ID compared to the Equinox 800, the 900 is similar to the Manticore with more unstable ID's)

Realistically you could buy a Nox 800, 900 or Manticore and end up happy.  I think the Manticore is very over-priced given it's benefits or lack thereof over the others.

• Like 6

I would suggest the Equinox, purely based on the cost of the two machines. Just buy it, get out hunting, and you'll eventually work out if there would be any benefit to upgrading to the Manticore at a later date.
All detectors "pay for themselves" at some point, but the Equinox is going to achieve this more comfortably, and it will be just as fun and rewarding to use whilst doing so.
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Seeing nobody has answered and you're chasing gold nuggets at the moment I would say the Equinox 900 purely as it has the 6" coil and Coiltek 10x5" coil available for it, ask me again "if" the smaller coil comes out for the Manticore and "if" Coiltek make coils for the Manticore and my opinion may change. 

Hey Simon, I am thinking to upgrade my VLF capabilities, and your comments are timely. What do you think, is the Nox 900/6 inch significantly better than the GM/5 inch when gold is the sole focus? Or should it be the Manticore with a little wait for better coils? Would both punch deeper with better meter read in mineralized soil compared to the GM? I like the GM but its capabilities when using the iron meter are severely limited. I would only upgrade if the newer VLFs really beat the GM in every aspect on gold. I do not care too much about the other useful features that clearly favor the much more modern and versatile Nox or Manticore. Just which one would make my pill box heavier in the VLF world? I thought I'd ask the expert; I see you have posted a lot of great stuff about the ML VLFs (and many other topics...). I am good with PI/ZVT, but when it comes to VLFs I am a bit "on ice".... Thanks! 🙂

GC

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Really helpful and great insights!

GC

• Like 1

Personally I think the Nox hands down beats the Gold Monster for general purpose nugget detecting. The Monster may have an edge on the smallest bits, but frankly that's about it. The ferrous discrimination, as Simon notes, is far better on the Nox, as is the ability to notch out hot rocks, something you can't do with Monster. The focus tends to be on small gold, but the larger the nuggets get, the more the Nox shines over the Monster. If I was to hunt any sort of trash laden tailings looking for discarded larger gold, the Nox with 12x15 coil would be my go to detector without hesitation. I wish I had it back in my Alaska tailing pile heyday, perfect machine for the task. There is no large coil option for the Monster. Long story short I ditched my Monster not long after I started prototype testing the Equinox, and have never regretted it.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/7468-my-tips-on-nugget-detecting-with-the-minelab-equinox/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks, Steve. I am sold. There are times where I don't mind digging up alot of trash (where there is trash, there is gold), but I just got back from a trip yesterday where I was pretty close to be admitted to that mental asylym that Simon was talking about....With all caveats understood, a VLF with smart IQ might be the only productive strategy in areas where 1000's of miners have worked for years.

GC

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Just wanted to add that so far I’ve seen nothing to convince me that the Equinox 900, Manticore, or Deus 2 are truly any better than an Equinox 800 when it comes to nugget detecting.

I agree.

• Like 1