Big Five Now The Big Four - First Texas No Longer A Player?

On 7/12/2023 at 7:31 PM, V3i/MXT Pro said:

I just don’t understand why Garrett doesn’t put the V3i in a lightweight, waterproof package? They could also upgrade the microprocessor (recovery speed) while they’re at it. I doubt this would require a significant re-engineering effort and it would easily be the best VLF in their lineup… In fact, it would be on par, or better, than the Equinox and Legend right out of the gate.

Also, reintroduce the TRX pinpointer as a deeper alternative to their Carrot.

It can be harder than it looks. I've seen this in different industry sectors. They can not rerelease it with same UI/UX, same weight, same form factor. They need to update all hardware components. Modernize user experience, add predefined programs, simplify configuration, fix bugs etc.

V3i was introduced in 2009, so it had to be in development a few years before. It also means, that there is probably nobody around, that knows the current code. It was made with coding language and tools available at that time. They are very probably not updated anymore -> they would need to completely rewrite whole codebase to be able to use modern processors and development tools. If there are routines in a very low language, like assembler, there is not many people able to decipher it.

So they practically have to build a new detector from scratch. Including modifying product specification and hundreds/thousands? of testing hours. They have never developed such a complex machine like Spectra. Do you think, that same team, that created Apex will creatre new, improved Spectra, that hides all the complex settings behind simple and user friendly UI? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mirda said:

It can be harder than it looks. I've seen this in different industry sectors. They can not rerelease it with same UI/UX, same weight, same form factor. They need to update all hardware components. Modernize user experience, add predefined programs, simplify configuration, fix bugs etc.

V3i was introduced in 2009, so it had to be in development a few years before. It also means, that there is probably nobody around, that knows the current code. It was made with coding language and tools available at that time. They are very probably not updated anymore -> they would need to completely rewrite whole codebase to be able to use modern processors and development tools. If there are routines in a very low language, like assembler, there is not many people able to decipher it.

So they practically have to build a new detector from scratch. Including modifying product specification and hundreds/thousands? of testing hours. They have never developed such a complex machine like Spectra. Do you think, that same team, that created Apex will creatre new, improved Spectra, that hides all the complex settings behind simple and user friendly UI? 

Mirda,

You are exactly right. The code is the issue with the V3i.  It would have to be rebuilt using current code and modern processors.   A huge investment of time and money if you could even find people to do the work.  I can't see Garrett doing this personally.

Bill

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, it is a nice way to put it - resting on laurels. :smile: The actual reality is Dave's last project, the CZX, was a massive waste of time and money that was ultimately axed before going to production. And the Impulse AQ (not a Dave project) has been an epic failure so far. :sad:

The current lineup is dated, and Apex underwhelmed people expecting an Ace to outperform top tier product. But fact is Garrett is hard at work, and Axiom was just a start, not a finish. It will be interesting to revisit this thread in a year. In terms of the present however, and actual buzz created by existing product, I will not argue in the slightest about it really being a big three at this moment in time...

The Big 3

1. Minelab
  2. Nokta
  3. XP

You beat me to the punch on the CZX, Steve.  What a huge disappointment that was.  I still don't fully understand why Dave couldn't get it to work. 

• Like 1

Who’s going to be the first to introduce an AI assisted detector- not sure what that assist would look like, but you know it’s going to happen at some point. 

On 7/15/2023 at 4:34 PM, relicmeister said:

Who’s going to be the first to introduce an AI assisted detector- not sure what that assist would look like, but you know it’s going to happen at some point. 

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical, but I suspect some company's marketing department will claim their new detector is AI assisted, but their engineering department will be reluctant to agree.

On 7/15/2023 at 4:34 PM, relicmeister said:

It will assist you by telling you not to dig a target you really should have dug. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 7/13/2023 at 11:27 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The current lineup is dated, and Apex underwhelmed people expecting an Ace to outperform top tier product. But fact is Garrett is hard at work, and Axiom was just a start, not a finish. 

I would imagine their next step will be a SMF update to the AT series???  They eased in to the SMF market with a lower tier machine and if they can refine their SMF tech, cross it with the form factor of the Axiom and make it as reliably waterproof as the AT housings were they would hit another homerun.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noah (FL) said:

I would imagine their next step will be a SMF update to the AT series???  They eased in to the SMF market with a lower tier machine and if they can refine their SMF tech, cross it with the form factor of the Axiom and make it as reliably waterproof as the AT housings were they would hit another homerun.  

I actually like using my Apex.  It’s typical Garrett build quality and quality of service.  It checks a lot of the boxes for some of the places I like to hunt.  With a little firmware polishing, it could be a really good machine.  Plus, I can envision where it could lead to an SMF AT successor only with a lot more adjustability.  Should that happen, I would probably sell the Apex and be onboard. I’ve used many Garrett machines over the last 40 years and have been happy with most all of them. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2023 at 5:27 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The Big 3

1. Minelab
  2. Nokta
  3. XP

Yes , confirmed by the forum current statistics ( number of posts ) :

1) MINELAB :minelab.png

2) XP : xp.png

3) NOKTA :

nokta.png

And the others

whites.png

first texas.png

garrett.png

etc ...

• Like 1

I'm thinking forum counts don't mean squat. Garrett probably sells more detectors than any other? The folks that buy the best performing and most expensive detectors are always looking to improve and visit the forums seeking answers. The Garrett folks for the most part just buy the detector and use it occasionally or set it in the closet. JMHO ( the only one that counts)

• Like 2