Over 50 Years Of Metal Detecting & Gold Prospecting

9 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

Hi Steve just a question what is RPG????šŸ˜†Ā Can you enlight me once more

Ā 

Good write up! Not too sure who said that but always remember Nostalgia is a seductive layer

Ā 

RR

RPG...Role Playing Game

Ā 

Thanks for all you have done over the years Steve!

4 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

Hi Steve just a question what is RPG???

RocketĀ PropelledĀ Grenadesā€¦ā€¦Steveā€™s a man of many interests and pursuits but this one may get him in trouble šŸ«µ

I bought my first detector in 1961, a Detectron and started hunting parks and old mining camps in Colo. and really enjoyed it. Started nugget hunting with a GarrettĀ  in 1983 in Az.Ā  I am slowingĀ  way down but I will probably die still owning a detector.

13 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

Hi Steve just a question what is RPG????šŸ˜†Ā Can you enlighten me once more?

Role Playing GamesĀ are a huge and diverse category. My interest is very specific to what are called first person sandbox games. This is where the view on the screen is presented as if you are there and looking out of your eyes at the world. Virtual Reality but without the headset. Sandbox games are open world settings where you explore and pretty much do as you please within certain constraints. You build your own character and they can be anything you want - that is the role playing part. The games have a theme, usually a main story you can be involved in, and many side plots. But for me the attraction is simply what attracts me to prospecting. Exploration. The feeling of being to go in any direction and see what is over the next hill. I mentioned two companies I favor, Bethesda and CD Projekt Red. The specific games are the post apocalypseĀ Fallout series and fantasy based Elder Scrolls series, and the dark fantasy basedĀ Witcher series. I'm at heart a science fiction buff however, and so the upcoming new release from Bethesda is the one I've really been waiting for. If you have an interest in where the state of the technology is at now in 2023 check out the deep dive video below.

Ā 

Back on track with detecting, not silly games!Ā :laugh:Ā :laugh:

I'm not quitting metal detecting or this website, just ramping it down. Not by intent per se; it is just what is happening as my interests shift elsewhere. The big driver is that the goldfields are playing out, and it now takes more time for less gold than ever. By my past standards and expectations it's just crumbs really and not worth my time any more. So I am shifting more from week long nugget hunts to short hunts near to home. Specifically nugget locations less than two hours from Reno and Lake Tahoe. I am down to just one nugget location that I feel has some potential still for putting some knock my socks off gold in my pocket, and will be hitting that over the remainder of the summer. I will also probably shift more to hunting Lake Tahoe than nugget hunting, as I can pop up there in an hour, hunt for the day, and be home for dinner. It's not like there are tons of rings there, but it is getting to where the odds finding gold via jewelry might be better for me than the nugget hunting. And maybe a little park hunting to fill in the gaps.

With that in mind I have 5 detectors right now.

1. Garrett Axiom
  2. Garrett 24K
  3. Minelab Equinox 800
  4. White's DFX/Bigfoot
  5. XP Deus 2

I have decided that the small edge that the 24K has over the Equinox is not really sufficient for me to hold onto it. If I want to use a VLF to hunt gold I can use the Equinox, but fact is I will normally use the Axiom. The Deus 2 is a fine machine, but the coil selection is not close to what I have already with the Equinox, so I'm going to let it go. The keepers that I will end up with by winter will be Axiom, Nox 800, and DFX/Bigfoot combo. And that's pretty much it. It will have to be something really amazing at this point for me to get another new detector. A Manticore might replace the 800 someday, if they ever get the bugs worked out and the full coil selection made. But I'll pass for now.

Mainly I will be nugget hunting in California with the Axiom and hunting Lake Tahoe with the Axiom from here on out, with the other two machines possibly getting some use now and then. From a practical perspective given what I plan on actually doing and using if I had to keep just one detector at this point, it would be the Axiom.

steve-herschbach-garrett-axiom-balance.jpg

I have participated in many forums with a wide variety of topics, and for many years, but I have never seen one with such a human quality and as much knowledge as the one you created. DetectorProspector is a unique place, and unique places can only be created by unique persons: THANK YOU Steve

Yep its a very good forum. I said it many times. Soon RPG forum link below to join :)

Ā 

RR

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Mainly I will be nugget hunting in California with the Axiom and hunting Lake Tahoe with the Axiom from here on out, with the other two machines possibly getting some use now and then.

Is most of the shore line open to the public?Ā  I know that there was a big Golf tournament at Edgewood Resort last weekend and the shore line was packed.

1 hour ago, Swegin said:

Is most of the shore line open to the public?Ā  I know that there was a big Golf tournament at Edgewood Resort last weekend and the shore line was packed.

There are many public beachā€™s, more than I could cover in a long time. Itā€™s more like an inland sea than a lake. And yes, they gets tons of activity. The problem is parking - some places if you donā€™t get there early you are not going to be able to park within miles. Over 40 beaches, see the link below for interactive map.

IMG_4470.jpeg

https://www.tahoepublicbeaches.org

Kings Beach Live Webcam

Garrett ATX at Sand Harborā€¦.

garrett-atx-lake-tahoe.jpg

I believe there are ski fields in the area too, get that Nox up under the lifts and around where people park up their skis, taking gloves off can be a risky process with rings hooked on them and people do it on lifts to play with their phones, and obviously when they park up their skis and snowboards to go eat or something.Ā  It's been one of my best places for detecting.