Pin Pointer For Placer?

Interesting video and glad to see Minelab sent one for your willingness to promote it.  Sorry to hear they don't allow you to use or even mention any other brands for a real comparison. But at least you got one for free (minus your time).

On occasion but not in most - I like having a pointer that offers Iron Identification, but I think the Iron ID feature is not really well designed? Is a certain light ON or a switch in a POSITION to easily show its either ON or OFF or do you just assume?  What if I turn the pointer off and then for my next dig, I turn it on, what mode is the Pro Find 40 in then?  Not seeing a simple way to know if Iron ID is still ON or OFF is frustrating, as when you mentioned in your video... if ON, the pointer does not provide best depth.

Since I was never sent one to Test (and not under oath terms as you are), I can provide my input on the other pointers out in the market.  I feel the ProFind 40 is better than nothing (no pointer at all), but I know of 2 others I would rather use.  

My detecting is not just for gold nuggets, as I enjoy chasing old coins/relics and gold jewelry in rivers/oceans/hot springs.  I like a faster pointer than what my ProFind40 provides as I'm quickly moving around in the dirt, rocks or crevice. To me, the idea of carrying around another $100+ item in the field is to help recover more targets in same amount of time, quickly.  The ProFind 40 is not one of those.  But, I do agree with you on a few things.  It does a good job of helping find a signal (albeit not as fast) in a deeper hole, so I don't pick that nugget or coin and damage it.

Pic is from one of my customers who was in a hurry and not using a Pointer.  Yes, I have done the same on occasion but not to a US 1857 $10 gold coin.

ScratchGolds.JPG.acf1efbbd89e0310c2f69552074c4383.JPG

oops00002.jpg.b20e2783c4408bbd01193786af5711a7.jpg

The ProFind 40 is inline with the other well known options as it does offer SENS adjustment, which is nice in different soil conditions and it's better than no pointer at all.

One thing you might mention in other videos that I feel is a + for the ProFind.  Many other brands/models of detectors will cross talk and bleed EMI when a ProFind pointer is turned ON.  Minelab realizes and has built the ProFind series to be quite adaptable to their detector models.  As a dealer who sells them all, I need to ask my customers for what all applications are they wanting to use a pointer.  It's better they know up front, than when in the field.

Thanks for sharing your video and input for what you are allowed to say.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:23 PM, MSC said:

I have a Garrett carrot, lately once I turn it on I cannot turn it off, have to remove the battery, replace it, then start all over pinpointing, what the heck?

Garrett has one of the best Warranties on pointers out there (3 full years).  I just called and sent them one Friday.  I actually wore clean through the tip of the orange plastic (my fault).  Anyway, call them at 1-800-234-6151 and get it sent in for repair.  be sure to write the RMA # on the outside of the shipping label.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 3:23 PM, MSC said:

I have a Garrett carrot, lately once I turn it on I cannot turn it off, have to remove the battery, replace it, then start all over pinpointing, what the heck?

I know of a few where the buttons have failed.  Is it still under Warranty?

Not under warrenty any longer, worked fine for a long while but just started messing up this Summer. 

I see someone beat me to it but the FALCON MD20 Gold Detector is the only pinpointer that I know of designed specifically for gold and I mean fly specks.  It also has discrimination.

Doc

• 4 months later...