Garrett Axiom Compatible X-coils

phrunt

The Director of sales of Minelab when the 4000 was released said 'Coils sell Detectors'. The more variable the detector IS for different environments and tasks, the more attractive that detector becomes. Something very obvious to us end users, but that which is completely oblivious to Codan's board.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, jasong said:

Is the X Coil more sensitive than the smallest stock coil in mild to medium ground at sacrifice of reducing ground balancing in hot ground? Or is it about the same sensitivity as the stock coils in mild ground but also failing to ground balance in hot ground?

Jason, from what I'm seeing running the DOD X-coil prototype for the Axiom, I have to say it's the latter case; it seems to have about the same sensitivity as the stock Axiom 11”x7” mono coil in all modes except for the Fine mode, where it won’t ground balance at all in moderately mineralized soil. I've decided not to waste any more time with the coil, so I won’t be posting a separate thread about it after all, since this prototype coil has no performance advantage over the stock coil…sorry guys.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yup, just chuck it out, the Axiom it was made using was such a poor performing unit compared to the 6000 I was sure there had to be something wrong with it based upon a few people here's comparisons to the 6000 which claim to be similar performance while the one X-coils has is a long way behind in especially depth but also sensitivity,  it did work fine though with ground balancing and general use, it just didn't perform well and this coil improved it, unfortunately it's very hard to get their hands on another Axiom in their country so this coil was made off that detector to suit that detector.   Maybe it will work on Jeff's, he has had a DD coil with his Axiom that didn't work in fine mode 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Maybe it will work on Jeff's, he has had a DD coil with his Axiom that didn't work in fine mode 🙂

I had the same thought when I read Jeff's post.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure x-coils have completely dropped any idea of producing an Axiom coil based on performance and popularity. I'm switch back to a 7000 anyway. The Axiom is rubbish, can't compete with any of the Minelab range, old or new.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not being as good as other things does not make something rubbish. Nobody has ever claimed on this forum that the Axiom outperforms either the 6000 or 7000, yet it suits some people fine. I’m sorry it’s not worked out for you.

• Like 5

On 12/15/2023 at 12:48 PM, phrunt said:

Yup, just chuck it out, the Axiom it was made using was such a poor performing unit compared to the 6000 I was sure there had to be something wrong with it based upon a few people here's comparisons to the 6000 which claim to be similar performance while the one X-coils has is a long way behind in especially depth but also sensitivity,  it did work fine though with ground balancing and general use, it just didn't perform well and this coil improved it, unfortunately it's very hard to get their hands on another Axiom in their country so this coil was made off that detector to suit that detector.   Maybe it will work on Jeff's, he has had a DD coil with his Axiom that didn't work in fine mode 🙂

I never expected and really don’t want the same extreme sensitivity to really small gold that the GPX 6000 will hit. Along with that extreme sensitivity on the 6000 comes extreme sensitivity to everything else detectable in the coil’s detection field including EMI. 

My Axiom even with conservative settings has no issues detecting 0.03 gram flakes and smaller near the surface using the 11X7” mono or DD coils. 

Anything smaller than that is VLF territory for me anyway. 

The replacement 11X7”. Focused Core DD coil that Garrett sent me ground balances better than the one it replaced. Sometimes I can get it to properly ground balance on difficult dirt and run well enough in Fine/Slow with sensitivity on 3 or 4. The 11X7” mono has zero problems ground balancing and running the identical settings in the same dirt. That’s kind of weird…..

• Like 4

I don't think there is any question the Axiom is more sensitive to small gold than the GXP 5000. The Axiom DD coils from initial testing appear to be more sensitive to small gold that the mono coils. Which is why the DD's are probably more susceptible to EMI and ground noise. So backward thinking maybe in order when it comes to the Axiom and coil selection. I'd still like to see a standard DD coil produced for the Axiom, whether that's from Garrett or another mfg it doesn't matter to me.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, abenson said:

I don't think there is any question the Axiom is more sensitive to small gold than the GXP 5000. The Axiom DD coils from initial testing appear to be more sensitive to small gold that the mono coils. Which is why the DD's are probably more susceptible to EMI and ground noise. So backward thinking maybe in order when it comes to the Axiom and coil selection. I'd still like to see a standard DD coil produced for the Axiom, whether that's from Garrett or another mfg it doesn't matter to me.

Which coil on the GPX 5000 are you basing that opinion on? Have you tried a small spiral coil on the 5000 like the Coiltek 9" Elite of the NF 12x8" EVO?   I'm not saying you're wrong, I have no idea.  I'm just trying to understand this as so many people have such vastly different opinions on it, and the Axiom the X-coils guys have is less sensitive than the 5000 and a poorer performer overall but I suspect they have a faulty one.  

I initially thought their views on the Axiom performance were based upon being heavy GPZ users, but then the comparisons started with the older GPX and it was better than the Axiom too.  Unfortunately, it's too hard for them to try and get warranty on the detector as it had to be purchased overseas as its not sold locally and they are not wanting to buy a second one in hope it's better.  With only a handful of people contacting them about buying coils for it when the earlier GPX model gets a possible coil release announced and they get flooded with queries about it and people wanting the coil it became clear to them making Axiom coils would not be worthwhile, hopefully this changes in the future.

13 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Which coil on the GPX 5000 are you basing that opinion on? Have you tried a small spiral coil on the 5000 like the Coiltek 9" Elite of the NF 12x8" EVO?   I'm not saying you're wrong, I have no idea.  I'm just trying to understand this as so many people have such vastly different opinions on it, and the Axiom the X-coils guys have is less sensitive than the 5000 and a poorer performer overall but I suspect they have a faulty one.  

I initially thought their views on the Axiom performance were based upon being heavy GPZ users, but then the comparisons started with the older GPX and it was better than the Axiom too.  Unfortunately, it's too hard for them to try and get warranty on the detector as it had to be purchased overseas as its not sold locally and they are not wanting to buy a second one in hope it's better.  With only a handful of people contacting them about buying coils for it when the earlier GPX model gets a possible coil release announced and they get flooded with queries about it and people wanting the coil it became clear to them making Axiom coils would not be worthwhile, hopefully this changes in the future.

It's not a coil thing, it's a timing thing. Coils can't overcome electronics and the Axiom is hotter on smaller gold than the 5000 at it's hottest setting no matter what coil you put on the 5000. Will the GPX beat it on bigger deeper gold? Never been in dispute. So it just depends what gold you are talking about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1