10 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Hot spot or not. No aluminum would make my day. 

Nice 100 YO  Merc frosting on that 225 YO Largie. Yummmmmmmm !😎

8 miles 350 ? 😯 Skheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww .  I went out for a couple of hours and only made it about 60 yards from the rig.......massive rain last night into mid morning .  50 kt gusts dried it out pretty quick by noon . Targets were banging !  Easy digging here too. Clad and a 22 casing ..

8.28 miles is the OnX Hunt total. It was long because we checked out an old road that was way longer than we thought, but I used OnX to find a shortcut back up a 90 foot grade saving us the slog back the whole road. We thought for sure we would get blocked by a steep ravine. The hill was rough and overgrown but it was maybe a fifth of the trip. 🥳 That gave us time to find a few more things.

Hey, clad adds up. 👍 Better to find "A-thing" than no-thing 🤔 Glad you got out! That same storm only gave us drizzle. A week or so ago we got 2.5 inches of rain, that was a blessing because we had a drought for a while and this dirt was turning to concrete. That's the only bad thing here. No minerals and very few rocks.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

You don't give yourself enough credit, it's YOU scoring the finds, the Deus 2 helped, you're the one putting in the hard yards, covering the miles and doing the digging 🙂

Congratulations on the silver! 

Thanks!

I know that persistence is the major factor, but I can't imagine making it all that way with a heavier machine, especially after an injury. 🙂

Luckily other manufacturers are joining in with lighter stuff since we have to cover more ground to make the better finds. Also the accuracy of the Deus 2 makes for a lot less junk, even my trash had historical significance! 😎

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

That LC is ridiculously cool! Awesome!

Thanks Rattlehead,

The DBLC is not my oldest coin by a longshot, 416 years is my record (1607 King James I), but to get one in such identifiable condition was practically a miracle. 🥳 AFAIK it's my first so there's that. 😀 At first I thought it said 1802, but that was probably adrenaline fueled. 🤪 Better to find it was older too.

I have found another '16 Merc in the past, but this one is by far the nicest. It was on that long road making the trip worthwhile.

We have eagerly waited about a year to get to this spot, got some Intel recently that a house was moved. Chase found it and it paid off. I'm just grateful that it's not going to be planted with a spring crop so we can go back. We didn't do much of my "Farm Hunting 101" after we found the hotspot. 😀 There is more ground to cover!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Once again another great hunt for you. Who cares about those cars when your digging those coins like that.

Keep up the good finds and stay safe out there.

Thanks VL,

I kidded Chase about the "Death March" to get to this spot, we actually considered bringing my off road golf cart next time 🤣 From where we have to park it's nearly a mile alone. Sure, a mile is nothing on pavement, but in a tilled corn stalk or bean field it's a whole different story.

We both brought blaze orange but didn't hear any hunting activity all day. The road was probably the most dangerous part of the trip, but we didn't hear anything in the woods. Lucky day I guess.

No worries, I've already got two trips booked for next year where I expect to find more Hot Wheels. 🤣 I won't let you down. 😎

• Haha 2

With all the targets in this place a no-thing day is impossible unless I stay inside.😜

The nox on 50 tones and all metal button sounds like an EVH solo.

Think I could play eruption intro if I swing at just the right speed...😎 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

Congrats on a job well done, mission accomplished 🙂 That looks like a great spot to hunt, no doubt a few more keepers are waiting to be found.

Thanks Dan. 🙂

I ended up with a painful heel from wearing boots instead of shoes, and I had got some ankle braces because after the fall my ankles got weak although there was no visible damage.

Wearing proper shoes corrected that and I'm ok this morning. 😀 

Both of us agreed that there should be more there, it obviously wasn't discovered. It's about 60 acres of field, and conventional wisdom would indicate the probability of relics being elsewhere. I can't stress the importance of scouting large areas carefully. This was a remote part of the field where horses were kept for sure, indicated by all the tack relics we found.

I know from other experiences that where there are horses there are buttons and other small objects, even some coins.

• Like 1

Wow, F350, you bounced back big time! Congrats on the Merc, Wheatie and specially that Draped Bust Large Cent, OMG, that's awesome!! 

wow2.gif

I can't even imagine finding something like that. 1700s coins are more rare than hen's teeth out here in the wild west! 😏

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I hope Chase had as much fun as I did today. 🙂

Not quite as much fun as you as I did not score any epic 1700's US coins or silver this time out :smile: (Congrats Mr. G), but it was an epic hunt nevertheless and was happy with my finds.  Probably my most productive day since we first hit that farm last winter.  Nothing like doing the research and finding that second home site we knew was there somewhere.  We waited a long time to be able to get out there and hit this side of farm and it paid off.  Now to solve the next mystery at that site.  Looking forward to further exploration adventures there now that we blazed our shortcut back out of the woods.  :laugh:  Thanks again for the great digs.  Let's do it again, and again and...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, F350, you bounced back big time! Congrats on the Merc, Wheatie and specially that Draped Bust Large Cent, OMG, that's awesome!! 

wow2.gif

I can't even imagine finding something like that. 1700s coins are more rare than hen's teeth out here in the wild west! 😏

Thanks Cap'n,

I think it was karma for the injury, I don't know about the docs and nurses but I had a blast at the hospital 🤣 all things considered. The more it hurt the more I laughed, I wonder where that training came from 😏 of course the morphine helped 🤔

Sooner or later you'll find one that was a lucky coin passed down and lost. 🙂 Spanish silver was currency to the 1850s, so you have a chance of finding that as well, just not on a site that has been cherry picked many times. 

I gave one farm owner a Chinese Cash coin I found next to his grandfather's house, those things can be 100 to a thousand years old. I imagine his granddad wore it slick and lost it. It's the only one I ever found, but he let me keep a 1690 Spanish Cob because he didn't have any attachment to it. He was very grateful for that coin.

• Like 2